Bidding for seat upgrade?

Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:23 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Bidding for seat upgrade?

I got the insight survey a couple of days ago. One of the questions that caught my eyes was on "bidding for seat upgrade". Looks like CX was considering to implement such system.

https://twitter.com/JALPak/status/37...931328/photo/1

It's an interesting idea. Probably could generate more revenue than giving out free op-ups. But then those sticking to MPC because of the op-ups might give their business elsewhere.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:37 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I don't want AsiaMiles to turn into an Air New Zealand style "currency".
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
why don't they introduce standup seat like RyanAir or charge for toilet like EAsyJet
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
I don't want AsiaMiles to turn into an Air New Zealand style "currency".
I think they were talking about using cash to bid for upgrade but I could be wrong.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:53 pm

I really hate this idea... even worse than charging rebooking fee for redemptions.
It makes the airline looks cheap.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:29 pm
Suspended

Could you not have just posted this image, instead of leading everyone to your Twitter...

Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Could you not have just posted this image, instead of leading everyone to your Twitter...

Already being used by BA and IB
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Featured on CNN recently:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/03/tr...rticle_sidebar
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG

You were assuming the image address wouldn't change
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:17 am

So if you go through a Travel Agent you will lose this privilege?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:17 am

Programs: NZ, QF
it seems like Air NZ's one-up. may not be a bad idea for a quick sale of premium class on short-haul with strong Y but weak W/J demands.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
So if you go through a Travel Agent you will lose this privilege?
Depends on how this is implemented. Right now it's just a survey asking for opinions.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:35 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
very very cheap, cash or miles speaking. fearing that to slap on a "uniform upgrade cost per leg" would cost the airline dearly as some may want to pay much more for an upgrade as opposed to others.

anyways, most people who owns some money is not stupid - and had they wanted to pay they would have bought a ticket at the higher class in the first place. I dont really think this would end up helping them generate heaps amount of income. it's way easier had they allow paid upgrade at checkin for all ticket holders. - seriously, i dont get it. people get O class tickets, but why dont you let them upgrade to J by paying the full fare difference (just a transparent fixed cost)?

anyway, if you want to see this as a way for CX bashing, I dont think it will work very well. I dont see why I cant book J/F for Japan domestic flights either as a tag-on. seems like market segmentation to me.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:41 am

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
This is a bad idea and I can imagine most of the best CX customers would be highly annoyed by it.

But if it does get implemented, there should at least be a component that favors higher MPO members. For example, make it only available to MPO GO or higher (of course, I'm a GO so I would say that). Or offer it to elites at a (reasonable) flat rate first, then open it to bidding by everyone else.

If it's wide open to any steerage passenger on the lowest fare, and they can bid their way up past the elites for a few bucks, that would be a recipe for revolt.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by fakecd
why don't they introduce standup seat like RyanAir or charge for toilet like EAsyJet
with all the overseas LCC's coming in CX will have to start doing that soon-or risk losing market share

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.