Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:38 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Yes if he is in your redemption group. You may have to call service centre though.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:01 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by percysmith
Yes if he is in your redemption group. You may have to call service centre though.
That is true with the exception of instant upgrade, in which case the upgraded traveler must be on the same flight as the sponsor.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:28 pm

hi, I'm new in here.

I'm just curious about CX upgrade class

its happen on my holiday last year on july
my ticket for outbound flight is premium eco W/R class If I'm not wrong
my ticket for inbound flight is business

my flight are SUB-HKG, HKG-SFO
on first leg I'm sit in economy because SUB-HKG doesn't have Premium eco class
on 2nd leg while I'm queuing to aboard the plane suddenly my ticket upgraded to business class without any miles (me and my brother ticket)

on my flight home I'm sitting in business class so i don't think need any upgrade but my 3/4 friend upgrade at check in counter from eco to premium eco without any miles.

my question is, on that moment am i and my friend are lucky or thats possible upgrade without any miles?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:13 am

Hi anyone please kindly help to check the following loads? Many thanks.

HKG-SYD 03 FEB CX101
Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:25 am

J4 c4 d3 i0 w0 r0 e0 y0 b0 h0 k0 m0 l0 v0 s0 n0 q0 o0
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by Jeffry Chandra
my question is, on that moment am i and my friend are lucky or thats possible upgrade without any miles?
They upgrade people based on load. If there are not enough Elites on the flights, then they will upgrade other people. So you and friend got lucky.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 2:09 am

I'm traveling alone on CX101 and QF439, HKG - MEL, should I go to the airport earlier to see if they will move me to the flight CX173 ?

CX101 - J0 C0 D0 I0 W0 R0 E0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
QF439 - J9 C9 D9 I8 U7 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N0 Q0 O0 G0 X9 E0

CX173 - J1 C1 D1 I0 W0 R0 E0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
JQ773 - Y4 B4 V4 T4 S4 R4 Q4 P4 O4 N4 M4 E4 F4 L4 A4 Z0 I0 K4 H4 X4
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by percysmith
J4 c4 d3 i0 w0 r0 e0 y0 b0 h0 k0 m0 l0 v0 s0 n0 q0 o0
Any FAQ on how to read that lingo?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Any FAQ on how to read that lingo?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ml#post9855433

(I'll just supplement that post. There's now Premium Economy in W, R, E. Also below O there's G class for Group fares. Plus Z, U, T and X are First, Business, Premium Economy and Economy award tix.)
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:35 pm

Weirdly I can't seem to find this page in any other region, only for ex-China, but it's a good explanation of the fare classes:
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...onditions.html
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Flying intra Asia and upgrades

Looking at redeeming a business class upgrade from SIN to HKG. Do I need to be booking my revenue ticket into R or E to secure the Business upgrade as most of the flights do not have PE as a cabin class.

Which is the most cost sensible way to get around this
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:19 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Looking at redeeming a business class upgrade from SIN to HKG. Do I need to be booking my revenue ticket into R or E to secure the Business upgrade as most of the flights do not have PE as a cabin class.

If there is no premium economy on your flight, you are able to upgrade directly from Y to J.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy

Originally Posted by sxc
If there is no premium economy on your flight, you are able to upgrade directly from Y to J.
If there was Premium Economy, you would need a W or R fare ticket to upgrade.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:36 pm
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
So I booked PEK-HKG via BA award in PE on a 747. I was notified of a cancellation and moved onto the same flight number and now in Business class on a 77W.

Not unusual where a regional J aircraft is used and no PE is offered but in this instance the new aircraft is a 4 class model with PE.

Im not complaining! Im in the mini cabin! just find it a bit unusual... anyone else experienced this?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:07 pm

No but I won't expect that seat to stick unless it's like a week before departure (further swaps are possible and since you're already on 77H any swap is bad for you) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...cx-ticket.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.