Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:11 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Sorry I was a bit confused by breaking80's reference to buying an eVIP. They're not directly available for sale right (even though secondary market sales do occur on eBay)?

CX will be put off by the secondary market in AA's own eVIPs, probably make them useable by the DM only, non-transferable. And then limit seat availability to similar to the upgrade certifcate CX already gives out to involuntary downgrade passengers.

Would such an additional benefit be attractive?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by percysmith
Sorry I was a bit confused by breaking80's reference to buying an eVIP. They're not directly available for sale right (even though secondary market sales do occur on eBay)?

CX will be put off by the secondary market in AA's own eVIPs, probably make them useable by the DM only, non-transferable. And then limit seat availability to similar to the upgrade certifcate CX already gives out to involuntary downgrade passengers.

Would such an additional benefit be attractive?
Something like if you accumulated few tenth thousands more miles over the 120K miles and maybe few sectors over a portion of the 80 sectors (similar scheme can be applied to sector DM, just adjust the two threshold level) CX will give out an upgrade cert without deducting miles?

This would definitely help encourage post-renewal travel
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by Southdown13
Our first time flying CX. My daughter was just upgraded from PEY(R) to J, and now I am thinking about trying to move her up to join us in F. SFO-HKG one way on CX873 leaving mid June, and I am MP Green.

If an F redemption becomes available, can I cancel the J upgrade, use the 20k Asia Miles, (105,000 total needed) and get a PEY refund? Will the fees be about $120 (upgrade cancel fee) plus $50 (ticket cancel fee)?
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Theoretically yes, but it will probably be a full flight. CX usually ends up scrambling to upgrade passengers at the airport and F redemption may not ever be available.

If this is part of a round trip ticket, cancellation will be tricky.
A follow up. I found F award availability online 4 days before departure. On my MP account, my daughter's waitlist for F did not confirm, and the representative did not know why. I was able to cancel the J upgrade award and get a PEY refund as well as use the 20k AM to ticket the F redemption. Glad I checked online for CX award redemption frequently!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sscywong
Something like if you accumulated few tenth thousands more miles over the 120K miles and maybe few sectors over a portion of the 80 sectors (similar scheme can be applied to sector DM, just adjust the two threshold level) CX will give out an upgrade cert without deducting miles?

This would definitely help encourage post-renewal travel
Maybe.
But how long until DM's start whining they try EVERY flight and still can't get these upgrade vouchers to work, and I already have X # of cert accumulated!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:07 am

When you are waitlisted for a redemption upgrade, does calling the Marco Polo Club make any difference?

I ask because twice now I have had the following experience: I book an overnight flight in PEY and get waitlisted for a J upgrade for a couple of months. When I get close to the flight date, I figure the upgrade is not coming, so I change to a day flight. The MPO agent says they are "prioritising" my upgrade on the day flight (I am but a humble silver member). A matter of hours later the upgrade comes through. Great, although now I'm on the day flight I don't really need it.

Is this standard procedure to prioritise people who call the Club? Would it work if I didn't change my booking but just called to ask them to prioritise my upgrade? Or is the whole thing just a coincidence?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Is I get close to the flight date, I figure the upgrade is not coming, so I change to a day flight. The MPO agent says they are "prioritising" my upgrade on the day flight (I am but a humble silver member). A matter of hours later the upgrade comes through. Great, although now I'm on the day flight I don't really need it.
I think it's because you changed to the day flight, not simply because you called...
Old Jun 12, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by percysmith
I think it's because you changed to the day flight, not simply because you called...
I agree. There are possibly more unsold J seats or fewer higher-status members waitlisted for the day flight. The call probably contributed too as they likely checked on availability immediately on the new flight.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
When you are waitlisted for a redemption upgrade, does calling the Marco Polo Club make any difference?

I ask because twice now I have had the following experience: I book an overnight flight in PEY and get waitlisted for a J upgrade for a couple of months. When I get close to the flight date, I figure the upgrade is not coming, so I change to a day flight. The MPO agent says they are "prioritising" my upgrade on the day flight (I am but a humble silver member). A matter of hours later the upgrade comes through. Great, although now I'm on the day flight I don't really need it.

Is this standard procedure to prioritise people who call the Club? Would it work if I didn't change my booking but just called to ask them to prioritise my upgrade? Or is the whole thing just a coincidence?
Imagine how much easier this would all be if CX award inventory was viewable on sites such as expertflyer.com etc.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by AADFW
Imagine how much easier this would all be if CX award inventory was viewable on sites such as expertflyer.com etc.
Straight redemption is viewable on cathaypacific.com (and derivative tools such as KVS), upgrade availability is same as straight redemption except with anecdotal evidence that if a member such as lionelhutz waitlists for an upgrade where straight redemption is not available, MPO may consider making a seat available to fill the upgrade request.

You can't see such seats MPO may make available without waitlisting for an upgrade (and have an underlying revenue ticket to support the waitlist).
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Southdown13
A follow up. I found F award availability online 4 days before departure. On my MP account, my daughter's waitlist for F did not confirm, and the representative did not know why. I was able to cancel the J upgrade award and get a PEY refund as well as use the 20k AM to ticket the F redemption. Glad I checked online for CX award redemption frequently!
Yeah strange

I successfully waitlisted HKG-NGO-HKG for next Easter but I didn't want it. I wanted to give to friend my seats, so I created an identical itin for friend (waitlist), then cancelled my HKG-NGO-HKG. He immediately cleared.

OTOH the 19/6 seat my colleagues been waiting for became available today but his 10-month long waitlist didn't clear - I had to call to grab the seat http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post24966618
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
So if I want my HKG-MXP flight to clear, I should book a paid ticket and then cancel it?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by alphaod
So if I want my HKG-MXP flight to clear, I should book a paid ticket and then cancel it?
yikes...methinks that's getting close to crossing a line you don't want to cross.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: AC E, SPG, HH
Hi,
a bit new to CX. I am wondering about my chances for an Award Upgrade from PE to J for 3 people on YYZ-HKG (round trip) Jul 4 and Jul 18 respectively.

I am but a lowly CX Green member. I checked expertflyer which shows J9 for both flights. The flights are a few weeks away and I've been told that my waitlist deadline is Jun 27th.

Asiamiles CSR won't give any indication of chances for upgrade or length of wait list.

This is my first time waitlisting for this type of upgrade. I haven't moved any miles yet unless the upgrade clears (plan to move from AMEX points), but not sure what the chances are. What if the deadline passes? Is upgrade after this still possible with points? in that case, I would have to have the points ready to go I'm assuming. I notice that some people say calling in repeatedly may increase chances. Is there anything I should say to them in particular which may help my chances?

Just don't want to move points to Asiamiles if not necessary.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by uni818
Hi,
a bit new to CX. I am wondering about my chances for an Award Upgrade from PE to J for 3 people on YYZ-HKG (round trip) Jul 4 and Jul 18 respectively.

I am but a lowly CX Green member. I checked expertflyer which shows J9 for both flights. The flights are a few weeks away and I've been told that my waitlist deadline is Jun 27th.

Asiamiles CSR won't give any indication of chances for upgrade or length of wait list.

This is my first time waitlisting for this type of upgrade. I haven't moved any miles yet unless the upgrade clears (plan to move from AMEX points), but not sure what the chances are. What if the deadline passes? Is upgrade after this still possible with points? in that case, I would have to have the points ready to go I'm assuming. I notice that some people say calling in repeatedly may increase chances. Is there anything I should say to them in particular which may help my chances?

Just don't want to move points to Asiamiles if not necessary.
There is a catch that you may miss the upgrade deadline when upgrade is available, but if you transfer your miles now, there is also a chance that you ended up with miles in your account you have no plan for. This is a gamble, just like when a passenger decides whether to buy R or E without enough knowledge on whether the upgrade will go through.

My wife and daughters did instant upgrades at the airport before, but miles must be available for an instant upgrade. This is again a gamble.

Your chance of clearing waitlist depends on your flight. Short hauls and regional flights are easier. Long hauls are difficult, and are not symmetrical. I flew SFO-HKG-SFO a lot. Upgrading HKG-SFO is much easier than upgrading SFO-HKG (same miles, but two hours longer flight time).
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: AC E, SPG, HH
Smile

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
There is a catch that you may miss the upgrade deadline when upgrade is available, but if you transfer your miles now, there is also a chance that you ended up with miles in your account you have no plan for. This is a gamble, just like when a passenger decides whether to buy R or E without enough knowledge on whether the upgrade will go through.

My wife and daughters did instant upgrades at the airport before, but miles must be available for an instant upgrade. This is again a gamble.

Your chance of clearing waitlist depends on your flight. Short hauls and regional flights are easier. Long hauls are difficult, and are not symmetrical. I flew SFO-HKG-SFO a lot. Upgrading HKG-SFO is much easier than upgrading SFO-HKG (same miles, but two hours longer flight time).
cxfan, thanks for your insight.

I guess the question I should be asking to people is:

Is it worth the gamble to transfer 27500 points (x3) if the upgrade deadline passes in the hope of upgrade at checkin. Would YOU in poker terms go "all in" would YOU take the gamble given the following circumstances:

Keep in mind it is for 3 passengers and I am CX Green. These are the flight loads:

CX 829 (Jul 4) YYZ-HKG J9 C9 D2 I0 W5 R3 E0 Y9 B9 H9 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

CX 826 (Jul 18) HKG-YYZ J9 C9 D0 I0 W8 R2 E0 Y9 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

I am interested in peoples thoughts if they would take this gamble..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.