Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
How reliable is EF availability for CX? I signed up for a subscription and seems that it's only based on US as a point of sale. For example, an upcoming HKG-ORD flight of mine is zeroed out for R and everything below. CX.com does not allow booking for PEY and EY class ex-US (this being a return trip), or ex-HK and ex-Japan. But I see H class for ex-TPE and Y class for ex-PEK bookable for the same flight. Interesting...

How about the EF/cx.com seat map?

Anyway. As mentioned it's at F1 A1 J9 C9 D9 I9 W1 R0...all zeroes after. Good chance for op-up as OWS in R? :P
Old Nov 17, 2015, 5:54 pm

Hi there, I'm confused, as I am on the waitlist to upgrade from premium economy to business on CX 841 on 11/24, and see on BA that I could get 2 seats in business using Avios points-same flight. What's up with that! ? I would think they would take care of Marco polo / asia miles members first.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by shoodawg
Hi there, I'm confused, as I am on the waitlist to upgrade from premium economy to business on CX 841 on 11/24, and see on BA that I could get 2 seats in business using Avios points-same flight. What's up with that! ? I would think they would take care of Marco polo / asia miles members first.
I was advised by others on this forum that the waitlist isn't that reliable so if you see open seats available for redemption on Avios, CALL ASIA MILES NOW!!! Or is it Cathay? Someone else will know better but the point is, don't wait for the upgrade to come through on its own.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by suziemay
I was advised by others on this forum that the waitlist isn't that reliable so if you see open seats available for redemption on Avios, CALL ASIA MILES NOW!!! Or is it Cathay? Someone else will know better but the point is, don't wait for the upgrade to come through on its own.
Hi there, and thanks for the advise. Indeed, I purchased a Y+ seat months ago, and wish to upgrade to J using Asia Miles. Still J seats are available on BA. I called Asia Miles last night and they said BA has it's own bucket of J award inventory. So it seems that Asia Miles come behind the BA Avios customers. I'll just dream 8's until my flight!

Thanks again, Suziemay, I dreamt 8's, took your suggestion to call AM service center, and good fortune was mine after a few minutes of checking by the kind agent. Best wishes to all.

Last edited by shoodawg; Nov 18, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:08 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
No way BAEC comes before AM. This is worth putting into the AM agents' incorrect thread

However can you see the seat in cathaypacific.com?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
No way BAEC comes before AM. This is worth putting into the AM agents' incorrect thread

However can you see the seat in cathaypacific.com?
Tonight they gave me the seat, last night the agent either didn't know how too or couldn't-even though multiple seats available on BA using Avios for J. (I did not check cathaypacific.com to check J availability)

Best wishes all.

Last edited by shoodawg; Nov 18, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by shoodawg
Hi there, and thanks for the advise. Indeed, I purchased a Y+ seat months ago, and wish to upgrade to J using Asia Miles. Still J seats are available on BA. I called Asia Miles last night and they said BA has it's own bucket of J award inventory. So it seems that Asia Miles come behind the BA Avios customers. I'll just dream 8's until my flight!

Thanks again, Suziemay, I dreamt 8's, took your suggestion to call AM service center, and good fortune was mine after a few minutes of checking by the kind agent. Best wishes to all.
Yippee! Happy for you. Now waiting nervously for mine. Been checking Cathay and BA reward sites but unfortunately for me mine aren't direct flights. I'm seeing awards available for part of the leg but not the full one Flying on Wednesday 11/25 so if my upgrade doesn't come through in the next few days, guess I'm SOL (or ringing up Cathay every hour).
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:40 pm

**Edited: Their ears must have been ringing. Immediately after I posted, my inbound flight upgrades came through. YIPPEE! My revised questions below

1) My booking confirmation indicates that my flight needs to be ticketed by Nov 21, otherwise booking will be cancelled. On Cathay's site, it's showing confirmed seats for both PE and Business for the inbound flights. Do I have to call to confirm I want the upgrade, or will this sort itself out?

2) Do I need to resubmit upgrade request for outbound after my inbound flights are completed, or will I remain on the waitlist for that?

THANK YOU!

Last edited by suziemay; Nov 19, 2015 at 1:56 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:31 pm

Heh. I answered my own questions. Figured I wasn't focusing on work anyway so may as well call Cathay to straighten this out. I also think I was using outbound/inbound incorrectly. Oops.

1) My booking confirmation indicates that my flight needs to be ticketed by Nov 21, otherwise booking will be cancelled. On Cathay's site, it's showing confirmed seats for both PE and Business for the inbound flights. Do I have to call to confirm I want the upgrade, or will this sort itself out?
I had to call them because I had requested a return upgrade (55,000 Asia Miles) but only one way was available so I guess the upgrade wasn't complete yet. And also since they could only confirm the upgrade one way, they have to apply the one-way mileage requirement which is 35,000 miles. If the upgrade comes through for my return flight, they will also apply 35,000 miles. HOWEVER, if I call back, they will issue me a credit of 15,000 miles because my original request was for a roundtrip upgrade.

2) Do I need to resubmit upgrade request for outbound after my inbound flights are completed, or will I remain on the waitlist for that?
No need to resubmit, and I now have a new deadline for my return flight upgrade. I will need to make sure I have at least 35,000 miles on my account by this new deadline. Since I don't at the moment, I'm in the process of transferring Amex membership reward miles. Let's see how quickly that comes through...

(nice conversation I had with myself on here, hopefully I'm helping somebody)
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: MPC SL
I am looking to buy OSL-LHR-HKG in J and back and upgrade to F for at least one sector LHR-HKG or HKG-LHR. On the days I am looking to travel it seems that there are F redemptions open for LHR-HKG according to CX website. Am I supposed to call MPC to hold the upgrade before I ticket? I think I have tried before having them hold an upgrade for me before I proceed to buy the ticket but they were reluctant to do it...

Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:55 pm

How long before mileage difference credited back?

I recently completed a trip using a RT upgrade award worth 55,000. Because my flights became available one at a time, I ended up using 75,000 miles in total. I called MPC to get the 20,000 miles credited back and they informed me it would take 6-8 weeks. Does that sound right? I'm not sure why it takes so long plus I would like to use them for another trip I'm planning to take in February.

So far I haven't spoken to a MPC customer service rep that instilled any confidence in me with their responses, so thought I'd check here. Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
They often say 6-8 weeks but in my experience they credit them back much quicker. It's been less than two weeks for me.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by DieselYVR
They often say 6-8 weeks but in my experience they credit them back much quicker. It's been less than two weeks for me.
Thanks! Exactly what I'm looking for. Will keep checking my account balance
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; UA 1K
Is it fairly common for loads to fluctuate considerably in business?
What looked like an empty cabin (20+ seats open) and showed J9 on expertflyer has now gone to J0.

I'm waitlisted as a Silver for PEY to J upgrade on 883 1/6. Not looking great at the moment. Should I give it a few days, or start looking for better availability / routing?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 4:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by porsche534
Is it fairly common for loads to fluctuate considerably in business?
What looked like an empty cabin (20+ seats open) and showed J9 on expertflyer has now gone to J0.

I'm waitlisted as a Silver for PEY to J upgrade on 883 1/6. Not looking great at the moment. Should I give it a few days, or start looking for better availability / routing?
First week of Jan HKG-USA is just tough, tough, tough. Lots of flights zeroed out in almost all cabins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.