Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:36 am
cgo

Anyone got the seat inventory for the following flights:

30 June
CX565, KIX to TPE
CX451, TPE to HKG
CX709, HKG to BKK

01 July
CX717, BKK to SIN

I am CX Silver booked on L class
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by cgo

30 June
CX565, KIX to TPE
CX451, TPE to HKG
CX709, HKG to BKK

01 July
CX717, BKK to SIN

CX565, KIX to TPE J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y1 B1 H1 K1 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
CX451, TPE to HKG J1 C0 D0 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
CX709, HKG to BKK J9 C9 D9 I9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q0 O0

CX717, BKK to SIN J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by cgo

30 June
CX565, KIX to TPE
CX451, TPE to HKG
CX709, HKG to BKK

01 July
CX717, BKK to SIN

But they need to be married. From Taiwan POS (Point of Sale), L class available. Not sure about other POS.

5CX 565 J2 C1 D1 IL KIXTPE 1620 1820 351 R 0 DCA /E
W3 R3 E3 Y1 BL HL KL ML LL VL SL NL QC OL
6CX 451 J2 C1 D1 IL HKG 1925 2125 773 D 0 DCA /E
Y3 BL HL KL ML LL VL SL NL QC OL
7CX 709 J2 C1 D1 IL BKK 2225 0020‡1 773 D 0 X246 DCA /E
Y3 BL HL KL ML LL VL SL NL QC OL
8CX 717 J9 C9 D9 I9 SIN 1155 1525 351 L 0 DCA /E
W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:00 pm
cgo

Thanks all! I appreciate it.

Looks like cx451 has a full load. hopefully will get upgraded. and cx709, 717, there is room to run around the aircraft.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Seeking expert opinions.

How does this look for PEY to J upgrade

CX734
3. Jul
J3 C2 D2 I0 W9 R9 E9 Y4 B4 H0 K3 M2 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade a fare code from E to W*?

Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:50 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
I've paid the difference between an E to a W/R so I'm able to use my points to be on the waitlist.

My employer usually pays for the base premium economy E fare and I just call in to pay the difference.
mosfet likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marco Polo Silver, UA Silver, Marriott AMB, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond
Any recent data points re: upgrades using Asia miles and which status to use?

I am AA Executive Platinum and CX Silver. I am waitlisted for an upgrade PE->J for HKG-LHR CX 225 July 8th. Still showing plenty of seats in J. I would assume my OWE status would be higher, but I was flying with my wife a few weeks ago from LAX-HKG. Both booked into I fares. She had her MPC Silver in the system and I had my AA EXP (OWE). She got an op-up from J->F and I was rather surprised (even though I would have given it to her anyway).

Looks like its random if OWE beats CX Silver these days? What made it more surprising was that I have more CP on CX this year than she does as well...
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by spartanmu
Any recent data points re: upgrades using Asia miles and which status to use?

I am AA Executive Platinum and CX Silver. I am waitlisted for an upgrade PE->J for HKG-LHR CX 225 July 8th. Still showing plenty of seats in J. I would assume my OWE status would be higher, but I was flying with my wife a few weeks ago from LAX-HKG. Both booked into I fares. She had her MPC Silver in the system and I had my AA EXP (OWE). She got an op-up from J->F and I was rather surprised (even though I would have given it to her anyway).

Looks like its random if OWE beats CX Silver these days? What made it more surprising was that I have more CP on CX this year than she does as well...
It is not random. It is how it works (and TBH how it should work). My family was flying with me on ORD-HKG a few days ago. One of us an OWE in PEY did not get opup to J while SLs and GR did. Very fair and well done. #CXit
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
It is not random. It is how it works (and TBH how it should work). My family was flying with me on ORD-HKG a few days ago. One of us an OWE in PEY did not get opup to J while SLs and GR did. Very fair and well done. #CXit
Interesting. For the longest time the consensus here is that op-up is done by tier (with OWE sitting either above SL or GR) first and only if there is a draw then they go with whoever has the higher CIV score.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:52 pm

I know for a fact that I have been GO for the past years and for whatever upgrades I had enjoyed, I have seen the Inflight Manager walking to the back to greet DMs in the EY cabin.

(Audio)
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:12 am
cgo

anyone has the loading for CX712, CX656 on 4 July?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: CX MPC, AC Aeroplan
Originally Posted by cgo
anyone has the loading for CX712, CX656 on 4 July?
For CX712 I assume you mean originating from BKK? Here you go.

CX712: J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q5
CX656: J9 C9 D9 I9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V8 S7 N5 Q2
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I think if SLs have a higher priority than OWE it’s fine, but having GRs ahead of OW elites doesn’t make much sense to me. Also, I think whether CIV plays a role in opup is a factor, imagine if a OWE who travels a lot on CX should get a high priority.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
Interestingly, I have had higher % of op-ups when travelling with my companion (SL) than if I was travelling alone (DM) --> makes me wonder if the op-up was because of DM or SL status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.