Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific
Just try to use my asiamiles to redeem an upgrade award from J to F for my Lax to Hkg flight on 13/3, but it is still on waitlist and I just check EP it shows F3A3J9C9D9I9W9R9E8Y9B9H9K9M9L9V9S9N9Q9

I guess I don't have a good chance to redeem it successfully, it might related to their first class bug fare earlier this year.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: Cathay Diamond and Singapore Gold
Curious if anyone has gotten any luck with upgrades when holding a redemption ticket? Is so what sector and whats your tier?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Microtat
Curious if anyone has gotten any luck with upgrades when holding a redemption ticket? Is so what sector and whats your tier?
Yup, we have had multiple reports where status passengers were op-up on redemption tickets when flight is overbooked.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by prw555
As DM, failed 01/28, and 02/25 CX872 (HKG-SFO) - J to F, with Asia Miles Redemption request. Get the feeling that the mistake fares are taking away J to F opportunities. Quite how long will last, not sure.
Back out from SFO on 3/21 on 873 and returning 3/25 on 872. All F blocked. Didn't even bother with a UPG request. This is the new norm apparently.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by prw555
Back out from SFO on 3/21 on 873 and returning 3/25 on 872. All F blocked. Didn't even bother with a UPG request. This is the new norm apparently.
it'll be rough going for USA flights until end of the year, whenever this mistake F fare ends. IIRC the fares were bookable until late November 2019 - does anyone know the dates roughly?

in good news they've restored a lot of A fare availability, at least from ports I buy from. I guess maybe this isn't universal. But I think award F is in big trouble to the USA until the mistake fare window is over.
G-CIVC, prw555 and windchaser777 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: asia miles
I have booked two tickets in premium economy for HKG-DUB. (May 11)

It says only one seat is currently available to choose.

Does this mean the passenger who does not select a seat is likely to be upgraded? (i.e. PE overbooked?)
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by QRC3288
it'll be rough going for USA flights until end of the year, whenever this mistake F fare ends. IIRC the fares were bookable until late November 2019 - does anyone know the dates roughly?

in good news they've restored a lot of A fare availability, at least from ports I buy from. I guess maybe this isn't universal. But I think award F is in big trouble to the USA until the mistake fare window is over.
4/11 CX 872 - SFO - HKG. Didn't clear, J to F, with a Diamond BUD. Surprise surprise. Not looking any better for 4/22 either.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
Apologies if I have missed this but does anyone know why upgrading an existing BA booking with Asia Miles was stopped in June 2018? Can you still use Asia Miles to make a new redemption booking on BA metal?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Conkers
Apologies if I have missed this but does anyone know why upgrading an existing BA booking with Asia Miles was stopped in June 2018? Can you still use Asia Miles to make a new redemption booking on BA metal?
I don't recall this topic being thoroughly discussed, but my guess is that it was simply too complicated. Back in the old days, they issued paper-based MCO on 160 (CX) stock to be applied on the 125 (BA) stock ticket. There's a different record locator for the upgraded segment and all is good. Now, with e-tickets and PNR matching the e-tickets, as well as married segment and a lot of other things, it was probably too time-consuming to process these BA and AA upgrade requests. That's probably why CX stopped offering them.

I agree the T class-to-U class upgrade on BA was a bargain, especially given CX does not allow E class-to-U class upgrade. On the other hand, neither BAEC nor AAdvantage members could redeem CX upgrades, so it was a bit unfair, or at least not reciprocated.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I don't recall this topic being thoroughly discussed, but my guess is that it was simply too complicated. Back in the old days, they issued paper-based MCO on 160 (CX) stock to be applied on the 125 (BA) stock ticket. There's a different record locator for the upgraded segment and all is good. Now, with e-tickets and PNR matching the e-tickets, as well as married segment and a lot of other things, it was probably too time-consuming to process these BA and AA upgrade requests. That's probably why CX stopped offering them.

I agree the T class-to-U class upgrade on BA was a bargain, especially given CX does not allow E class-to-U class upgrade. On the other hand, neither BAEC nor AAdvantage members could redeem CX upgrades, so it was a bit unfair, or at least not reciprocated.
Many thanks Ernest that is very helpful. A shame for sure.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:40 am

Can anyone advise me about the availability of CX806 ORD-HKG on 5/11? I'm CX SL and I have a PE ticket trying to find out my chance of an upgrade. Thanks a lot!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by MarCar
Can anyone advise me about the availability of CX806 ORD-HKG on 5/11? I'm CX SL and I have a PE ticket trying to find out my chance of an upgrade. Thanks a lot!
What kind of upgrade are you looking at? If mileage redemption, I suggest you to try to put a waitlist. My experience in the past few months is that CX is very good at clearing upgrade waitlist for me, and I'm SL, too. If you are talking about op-up, I would not be optimistic.

TW POS:
Code:
111MAYORDHKG¤CX«                                                
 11MAY  SAT   ORD/CDT     HKG/‡13                               
CX RESPONSE ** DIRECT CONNECT PARTICIPANT **                    
** CATHAY PACIFIC - AN **                 17 SA 11MAY 0000      
13CX  807 F4 A3 J9 C9 D9 IL WL R5 ORDHKG   1520 2020‡1 77W 0    
          E7 Y6 BL HL KL ML LL VL SL NL
US POS:
Code:
AN11MAYORDHKG/ACX                                               
** AMADEUS AVAILABILITY - AN **           17 SA 11MAY 0000      
** YX HKGTHK **THE MURRAY HKG, A NICCOLO HOTEL** NEWLY OPENED   
** BED N BKFAST - FR 3560HKD / FREE BKFAST N WIFI <HAYXHKGTHK-1 
 1   CX 807  F4 A3 J9 C9/ORD HKG  1520    2020‡1  0/77W    16:00
             D9 IL W9 R3 EL Y6 BL HL KL ML LL VL SL NL
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
[QUOTE=MarCar;31033008]Can anyone advise me about the availability of CX806 ORD-HKG on 5/11? I'm CX SL and I have a PE ticket trying to find out my chance of an upgrade. Thanks a lot![/QUOT
Looking to upgrade with miles or op-up? Either way it's too early to tell. EF is showing - F4 A3 J9 C9 D9 I0 W9 R3 E0 Y7 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0. If you're looking to upgrade with miles I would think you'd be waitlisted as no I class availability. If J cabin availability holds at these levels, I'd say good chance to clear waitlist or at least get instant upgrade but it's too early to predict. Opup scenario looks good as E cabin is almost sold out but still relies on J cabin availability and enough oversell to overflow PE cabin. But it's just too early to even try and predict.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
What kind of upgrade are you looking at? If mileage redemption, I suggest you to try to put a waitlist. My experience in the past few months is that CX is very good at clearing upgrade waitlist for me, and I'm SL, too. If you are talking about op-up, I would not be optimistic.

TW POS:

Code:
111MAYORDHKG¤CX«
11MAY SAT ORD/CDT HKG/‡13
CX RESPONSE ** DIRECT CONNECT PARTICIPANT **
** CATHAY PACIFIC - AN ** 17 SA 11MAY 0000
13CX 807 F4 A3 J9 C9 D9 IL WL R5 ORDHKG 1520 2020‡1 77W 0
E7 Y6 BL HL KL ML LL VL SL NL

US POS:

Code:
AN11MAYORDHKG/ACX
** AMADEUS AVAILABILITY - AN ** 17 SA 11MAY 0000
** YX HKGTHK **THE MURRAY HKG, A NICCOLO HOTEL** NEWLY OPENED
** BED N BKFAST - FR 3560HKD / FREE BKFAST N WIFI <HAYXHKGTHK-1
1 CX 807 F4 A3 J9 C9/ORD HKG 1520 2020‡1 0/77W 16:00
D9 IL W9 R3 EL Y6 BL HL KL ML LL VL SL NL
Thank you very much! CX gave me SL status for free, so I'm gambling for an op-up lol
We'll see what happens.
I just noticed ORD-HKG is CX807 not 806, but you got it right
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:46 pm

[QUOTE=synthkeys;31033377]
Originally Posted by MarCar
Can anyone advise me about the availability of CX806 ORD-HKG on 5/11? I'm CX SL and I have a PE ticket trying to find out my chance of an upgrade. Thanks a lot![/QUOT
Looking to upgrade with miles or op-up? Either way it's too early to tell. EF is showing - F4 A3 J9 C9 D9 I0 W9 R3 E0 Y7 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0. If you're looking to upgrade with miles I would think you'd be waitlisted as no I class availability. If J cabin availability holds at these levels, I'd say good chance to clear waitlist or at least get instant upgrade but it's too early to predict. Opup scenario looks good as E cabin is almost sold out but still relies on J cabin availability and enough oversell to overflow PE cabin. But it's just too early to even try and predict.
Thank you! CX gave me SL status for free, so I'm gambling for an op-up lol
Considering mid-May is when college summer breaks start, the rest of the tickets may still be sold. We'll see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.