Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How to assign F seats on CX on the 77W

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to assign F seats on CX on the 77W

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Michaelkroe
Just as a follow up, I got an explanation from a call center agent. She put me back in 2A but said that they now often move people out of that seat if there is no indication that the passenger is traveling with a baby, which is why they bumped me out if twice before. She said to monitor it and unfortunately I’d probably be moved again and would have to keep calling back to try and get someone to reassign that seat. An annoying game of cat and mouse.
I checked and saw that I have been bumped out of 2A for a flight in August. We are now in 1A/1K, and are the only people in the cabin. The agent said that even though the cabin is empty, she is not allowed to assign 2A--it must be done at the airport...annoying indeed.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Revenue tickets are assigned 1D or 2D as well. It is not just award tickets.
Correct. My award with AS miles was automatically assigned to 1A when i listed window as my preferred seat. I emailed the office in Singapore and requested 1K which was assigned a few days later. I did find it odd that only 1 and 2 D were listed on experflyer as non premium seats.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's a route where 77Ws often fly on the route, but F is not bookable or sold. The cabin seating map shows F AND C, but I can only select C seats.

My understanding is that on those routes, it's a C service if you get in the F cabin.
Hate to bump this up again, but I'm trying to get any of the F seats assigned on a J-class trip from HKG-SGN, which is operated by a 77W, and which shows Rows 1 & 2 available for sale as J class. Unfortunately, they're all showing as blocked on the CX website, but 1A&K, and 2A&K are showing up as "premium only" on expertflyer.

The call centre says the F cabin isn't ever assigned on this route, but I have always heard that it's simply J service in the F cabin. Any experiences from anyone on getting these assigned?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I believe you have to be a CX Diamond in order to have those seats preassigned.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Just one data point here. I have an upcoming redemption on the 77W HKG-JFK. AA was only able to assign the middle seats and told me windows were not available. One call to the north american call center, and the agent was more than happy to assign any seat I wanted in the F cabin. I took 1A.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I believe you have to be a CX Diamond in order to have those seats preassigned.
I know they have always refused to assign those J-service-in-the-F-cabin seats to me in advance. At the airport they tell me they are given first to Marco Polo Diamond and only if there are more seats than Diamonds do they go to OneWorld Emerald.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Further data point. F award HKG-BKK on 77W. Seat 01A taken , but a call to CX had me assigned 01K with no issues. I have no MPC status, just QF Silver.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
A tweet to the US CX Twitter account (actually a direct message) got me 2A on the 77W JFK-HKG using AA miles. I have no OW status at all. They did tell me that they can't guarantee seat assignments on redemption bookings, but so far it's stuck.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, AC E35K
Originally Posted by anabolism
I know they have always refused to assign those J-service-in-the-F-cabin seats to me in advance. At the airport they tell me they are given first to Marco Polo Diamond and only if there are more seats than Diamonds do they go to OneWorld Emerald.
Interesting- so Emerald is higher than CX Gold in this case? I'd have thought it'd follow the op-up ranking (DM>GO>OW-E>OW-S>SL etc.), but this could change which FFP# I put on my regional flights...
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Further data point. F award HKG-BKK on 77W. Seat 01A taken , but a call to CX had me assigned 01K with no issues. I have no MPC status, just QF Silver.
I want to be sure people reading this thread are aware that two distinct issues are being discussed:
  1. Assigning F seats on a flight with F service
  2. Assigned seats that are in the F cabin on a flight with no F service ("F-as
    -J")

The first is the usual and more common issue. You get an F award and want seats. Usually a call does it. No status required. The second is rarer: you book a J flight and find out the equipment has an F cabin, so naturally you prefer the better seats. This is very hard without CX (MP) status.

Originally Posted by yamanote8
Interesting- so Emerald is higher than CX Gold in this case? I'd have thought it'd follow the op-up ranking (DM>GO>OW-E>OW-S>SL etc.), but this could change which FFP# I put on my regional flights...
The agent didn't go into that level of detail with me, so I can't comment.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I booked a CX F flight yesterday and immediately was put in 1A. Not sure if status related or the fact the flight falls within 180 days.
Last time I booked more than 6 months out, had the option of 1D but changed to 1K by phoning them up.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 4:58 am

I have an upcoming flight, two days from now, on a 777. This was booked a couple of months ago and at the time a quick call to CX got me 2A assigned. As it has been reported before, they specified that this is a bassinet seat and I may get bumped if someone with a baby needs it.

Until now everything has been fine and I am still in 2A. Would CX bump me even after check-in? Am I safe once I have a boarding pass?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:17 pm

I was able to call and request 2A but was told the system often (she seemed to think always) reassigns it periodically to an otherwise empty seat. We'll see.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flying_pig
I have an upcoming flight, two days from now, on a 777. This was booked a couple of months ago and at the time a quick call to CX got me 2A assigned. As it has been reported before, they specified that this is a bassinet seat and I may get bumped if someone with a baby needs it.

Until now everything has been fine and I am still in 2A. Would CX bump me even after check-in? Am I safe once I have a boarding pass?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Probably.

Originally Posted by djibouti
I was able to call and request 2A but was told the system often (she seemed to think always) reassigns it periodically to an otherwise empty seat. We'll see.
I've never had that happen in roughly 10+ flights.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by flying_pig
I ran into the same issue with 2K. According to the agent at HKG lounge, they will still bump you even if you have a boarding pass if they need the seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.