Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How to assign F seats on CX on the 77W

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to assign F seats on CX on the 77W

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Just booked an AA award on CX JFK-HKG-CGK. Tried to do seat assignment online CX.com, and all seats were blocked or taken, except 2D. REALLY want a window. Called CX here in CGK, and agent told me that the type of ticket I was on, I could only get a seat assignment 48 hours out. I replied that the website would let me choose 2D, but no windows. She placed me onhold, and came back with you are now in 1K. happy happy happy. Hope it sticks!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Just booked an AA award on CX JFK-HKG-CGK. Tried to do seat assignment online CX.com, and all seats were blocked or taken, except 2D. REALLY want a window. Called CX here in CGK, and agent told me that the type of ticket I was on, I could only get a seat assignment 48 hours out. I replied that the website would let me choose 2D, but no windows. She placed me onhold, and came back with you are now in 1K. happy happy happy. Hope it sticks!
It should stick. I have never heard of any type of F ticket that only allows seat assignment 48 hours out. ANY F ticket should allow advance seat assignment.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:18 pm

I'd never heard the 48 hour "rule" either. I'm willing to bet that not many people other the the agent have either
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Post Graphical Seat Map Glitch in Amadeus? Must use text based system instea

Row 1 on JFK-HKG flights are typically marked as "priority" or "premium" seats in Amadeus (although they can still be assigned to any first class passenger).

Apparently, there seems to be a glitch in Amadeus where if the agent pulls up a graphical seat map using the graphical point and click interface, the seats show up as "occupied". This seems to also be the case for the graphical seat map on the CX website.

However, if the agent goes into text/command line mode in Amadeus, the seats show up as available!! Hence, the agent being able to assign you seat 1K after putting you on hold (she probably had to consult a colleague or supervisor for help to go into text/command line mode as most agents especially inexperienced ones tend to use graphical mode).
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA Life PLT 2MM+, JL, CX, SQ, EK, QF, UA, BA, AR, Bonvoy Life Plat
Blocked F on 77W

I'd never heard the 48 hour "rule" either. I'm willing to bet that not many people other the the agent have either
I see from your prior post that you were trying to reserve a seat ticketed using an AA Award. This books into Z not F. CX appears to mark all 77W FC "A" and "K" seats as either blocked or "premium only". This is a long standing annoyance that has been discussed many times in the past. When you tried to select a seat on the CX website, did you log in using a CX FF number that has CX Gold or higher status? If not, that's probably why you couldn't select a window seat. That being said, I have never had a problem getting a blocked/premium seat by calling CX as either OW Sapphire or Emerald. Never heard of a 48 hour rule either for FC.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 5:03 am

Thanks for the feedback, all. The agent said the 48 hour rule was specifically for Z class, not F. I do not have any status on CX, just AA EXP, and my number was on the reservation. She stated that I was not able to choose any seat as I was in Z until 48 hours. It wasn't until that I remarked that the website would allow me to choose 2D, just not a window seat, that she put my on hold and came back with a window.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Thanks for the feedback, all. The agent said the 48 hour rule was specifically for Z class, not F. I do not have any status on CX, just AA EXP, and my number was on the reservation. She stated that I was not able to choose any seat as I was in Z until 48 hours. It wasn't until that I remarked that the website would allow me to choose 2D, just not a window seat, that she put my on hold and came back with a window.
That is also incorrect. Z class has access to the same inventory of seats for advance booking as the paid classes. The agent you spoke to was, sorry to say, full of it.

I repeat: there is no type of First Class ticket on CX (paid, CX award, or partner award) that does not allow seat reservations.

Elite status (or lack thereof) also makes no difference.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jaffar
Was checking a flight for a friend (in August) and noticed she had also been bumped from her seat, previously 2A, and assigned 1K instead.

In all my experience flying CX F it's the first time this has happened.

Considering how far out the flight is, it seems to me like CX is making this the standard practice and will refuse assigning 2A or 2K in advance unless there is a baby travelling.
Have an upcoming flight in August and was bumped out of 2A two different times. I called to get 2A back (in an otherwise empty cabin) and was told 2A cannot be assigned until you get to the airport the day of your flight. Annoying.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:34 pm

I recently booked an award F via AA and had no problem in getting them (AA) to assign 2A.

BTW, the booking confirmation e-mail even had both the AA and CX PRN's on it. Don't remember (or maybe just didn't notice) this being the case in the past. ^

Of course 2A being a bassinet seat meant that I could get bumped if someone was traveling with an infant, but them's the breaks.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just as a follow up, I got an explanation from a call center agent. She put me back in 2A but said that they now often move people out of that seat if there is no indication that the passenger is traveling with a baby, which is why they bumped me out if twice before. She said to monitor it and unfortunately I’d probably be moved again and would have to keep calling back to try and get someone to reassign that seat. An annoying game of cat and mouse.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Michaelkroe
Just as a follow up, I got an explanation from a call center agent. She put me back in 2A but said that they now often move people out of that seat if there is no indication that the passenger is traveling with a baby, which is why they bumped me out if twice before. She said to monitor it and unfortunately I’d probably be moved again and would have to keep calling back to try and get someone to reassign that seat. An annoying game of cat and mouse.
I've never had that problem. Once I get it assigned, it has been fine.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:28 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by Michaelkroe
I have had this happen 3 times on one recent flight JFK-HKG..now seems the New website has an additional enhancement[sic]

Awards on Long Haul are now allocated 1D or 2D by the system, and the seat once changed cannot be moved online. The same situation does not apply to the few remaining Short Haul First Class flights.

Seems you have to fight for a move by Phoning, however I am not 100% confident the system will not move you out of the window seat again.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UncleDude
I have had this happen 3 times on one recent flight JFK-HKG..now seems the New website has an additional enhancement[sic]

Awards on Long Haul are now allocated 1D or 2D by the system, and the seat once changed cannot be moved online. The same situation does not apply to the few remaining Short Haul First Class flights.

Seems you have to fight for a move by Phoning, however I am not 100% confident the system will not move you out of the window seat again.
Revenue tickets are assigned 1D or 2D as well. It is not just award tickets.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Post Check your MPO Profile

Apparently, if you update your MPO profile and indicate that your prefer window seats, even if the TA doing the booking does not choose a seat for you, CX seems to automatically selects a window seat for you (provided one is available).
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:42 pm

I just called CX in the US and asked for a window seat and they offered me 1A or 1K right away. My award flight is in November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.