Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How to assign F seats on CX on the 77W

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to assign F seats on CX on the 77W

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Two of us traveling SFO-HKG-SIN//HKG-SFO in March/April 2013 in F on an AA award.Tried to book seats online (too early). Called CX Reservations and got 1K/2K on the 77W out of SFO and 1A&K on the 744 coming back in to the US. The agent did warn me that 2K is a bassinet seat and if needed we might need to move. She wanted to put us in 1A/2A but I resisted thinking, if they do have to move us, at least it would probably be in one of the "D" seats. Besides, thanks to FT, thought it best to stay away from the dirty linen bin.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Booked HKg-LAX in Z class (F award)... Could only pick 2D. Called US reservations center was told I was ONLY passenger in F so far and I could have any seat I wanted. No problems changing seats. Chose 1K for seating and how 1D stays empty for sleeping
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Today I called USA # and HK # both once and both immediately told me 1A/2A combo not doable because of bassinet--to the extent that I get the feeling they've been specifically told to tell people no. Then, on a hunch, I called the Singapore #. The agent actually suggested 1A/2A and tried to put us in them, but said the system wouldn't allow her and she "didn't know why." Un-promted, she said "let me try something else," and then 30-45 seconds later told me we were confirmed in 1A/2A, thanks have a nice day. I realize there's a chance of getting bumped, but I can't imagine too many people think it's a good idea to bring an infant into F class on a 16 hour flight...

So if you're having trouble, perhaps try the Singapore #. It is: + (65) 6533-1333
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
We are traveling in March 2013 SFO-HKG-SIN//HKG-SFO. Couldn't get seats assigned from AA (using Awards in Z Class) and not able to assign anything online as too far out. Called the CX US reservations line and was offered our pick on the 77W. Agent wanted to put us in 1A/2A but I asked if we could have 1K/2K instead. She said no problem but that one was a bassinet seat and, if needed, we would be moved. For our return on a 744, we were able to get 1A&K. Simple phone call took care of it and the seats do show as confirmed when looking at the Manage My Booking tab.^
Old Jul 3, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
We are traveling in March 2013 SFO-HKG-SIN//HKG-SFO. Couldn't get seats assigned from AA (using Awards in Z Class) and not able to assign anything online as too far out. Called the CX US reservations line and was offered our pick on the 77W. Agent wanted to put us in 1A/2A but I asked if we could have 1K/2K instead. She said no problem but that one was a bassinet seat and, if needed, we would be moved. For our return on a 744, we were able to get 1A&K. Simple phone call took care of it and the seats do show as confirmed when looking at the Manage My Booking tab.^
Wow that is some advanced seat booking!

I might add, your flight is so incredibly far out in the future things could change before then. I think the most likely change would be a 77W swap for your 747, since there is this pending inevitability that SFO will eventually switch to an all-777 destination. Maybe it happens in 2013, maybe 2014, maybe 2015...nobody is really sure. But it's a possibility. You'd still have F just it would be on the 777 (either 77D or 77H).

Another less likely, but still possible change is CX decides to downgrade their equipment using 77G to SFO (3-class plane with Y+ but no F). I think that's quite unlikely and so far CX has concurred (by putting 77H, a 4 class plane with both Y+ and F, on the SFO schedule later this year). However, one of the 3x daily flights to/from LAX got downgraded to 77G, and I think it's inevitable that both YYZ and YVR will lose most, if not all, of their F service. So it's always possible.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 4:36 pm

it makes perfect sense that CX is reserving the best F seats for cash customers since there are only six and the seat retails for 15K one-way. I would just ask at check-in. If another seat is available I am sure they will give it to you.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, AC E35K
Originally Posted by mfr2000
it makes perfect sense that CX is reserving the best F seats for cash customers since there are only six and the seat retails for 15K one-way. I would just ask at check-in. If another seat is available I am sure they will give it to you.
Except they're blocking all window seats on the 77W. Yes, even for revenue customers.

I had to call in on a rev F ticket to pick a seat other than 2D
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by yamanote8
Except they're blocking all window seats on the 77W. Yes, even for revenue customers.
I booked an F award ticket (ORD-HKG) a few months ago and had no problem getting 1A?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:29 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
we were confirmed in 1A/2A, thanks have a nice day. I realize there's a chance of getting bumped, but I can't imagine too many people think it's a good idea to bring an infant into F class on a 16 hour flight...
Agent cautioned me as well that we could be bumped for an infant. I have no idea how often people bring infants on the flight, but why would someone who is going to bring one on a 16 hour flight think F is worse than J or Y? (aside from annoying other F pax, which presumably most parents don't really think about).
Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, AC E35K
Originally Posted by wolf539
I booked an F award ticket (ORD-HKG) a few months ago and had no problem getting 1A?
Strange. My ticket's been changed several times so seat selection has gone from the 747 to the 77W several times, and 2D's always been the only choice online for me on the 77W operated flights, even though I knew that wasn't the only empty seat available thanks to EF.
The CX rep was happy to assign any of the window seats for me when I called though so evidently the seat wasn't blocked or occupied.

Last edited by yamanote8; Jul 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by anabolism
Agent cautioned me as well that we could be bumped for an infant. I have no idea how often people bring infants on the flight, but why would someone who is going to bring one on a 16 hour flight think F is worse than J or Y? (aside from annoying other F pax, which presumably most parents don't really think about).
I have seen plenty of children and infants in F; I think that poster's comment is simply incorrect. Plenty of people bring them. What I HAVEN'T seen is myself ever being bumped for the bassinet.

As a single traveler, admittedly I'm no fan of babies. But I do have to admit that a.) never once have I been bumped out of 2A/2K on account of one, and b.) the most annoying/distracting behavior I've seen in an F cabin has come from adult passengers, not children.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by drdavidge
So 2A and 2K in F are supposedly blocked because they are bassinet seats for travelers with babies. I really would like to lock in 1A and 2A for me and my fiance, but when I called in to try, they said the new system wont let them book people in 2A or 2K. Has anyone had any luck getting those seats booked in advance? If so, how?
FWIW, here's my experience with this issue.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, AA, WN, UA, US, WN, BA.
I just recently had no problem with a CX rep on the phone placing my wife and I in 1A and 2A. The rep did say that 2A is a bassinet and I could be bumped for an infant.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: Yes.
Just got our seats changed to 1A and 2A. Similar to previous posts, rep said not possible at first, but then said "let me try something." Bingo. BTW - keep calling the 800 number if it's busy. Finally got through and took all of 5 minutes to process.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
Another data point. Just got 1A & 2A on our 7 Aug outbound and 20 Aug return ORD-HKG-ORD. I was consistently told "no" in the past, but this time other than a brief hold there was nothing more than asking required, subject to the standard disclaimer that we may be moved if a baby shows up in 2A. Not likely I hope, since we are the only ones in F at T+8 days.

Last edited by planecrashlaw; Jul 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.