FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CX F: 747 versus 777
View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:25 pm
Dr. HFH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by planecrashlaw
When I was able to get CX on the phone, I was told that 2A is always airport control, and that he simply did not believe thet we were ever given that seat in the first place. ... My question, then, is am I being given correct info on the 2A airport control issue? I am keeping my 1A seat just in case I can snag 2A if you can confirm that I was right all along and 2A is available for pre-reserving.
On the 77W series, 2A and 2K are bassinet seats. It used to be that you could reserve them with the understanding that you would be reseated if a bassinet pax needed the seat. Now, however, they are, indeed, under airport control. Sort of. The airport control thing appears to be a management directive, rather than a system limitation. Last week I flew 830 HKG-JFK and wanted 2A, as my usual 1A was already taken by another pax.

Two days before I was to fly, I went to the CX ticketing office at BKK (airport, not city). Explained what I wanted, and agent said that 2A and 2K are under airport control and not available at all until the day of departure, where they can be assigned at the gate. She told me that she wasn't even allowed to put those seats on request. We chatted (I suppose, technically, one might say that I "chatted her up") a bit, and she said that she would just try assigning the seat to me anyway. Mirabile dictu, she tried to assign me 2A and the system confirmed it. She printed my record so that I would have it just in case, and I was set. No prob when I got to HKG, either.