Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:25 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Isochronous
How do CCB points work - are they only transferrable to AM, or other schemes too?
AM only.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by trashn
If I understand correctly for the rest of the HSBC cards it's $4,000 maximun spend ?
Classic/Gold yes

Plat/Diamond/Advance/Signagure: $8,000
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:02 pm

Percysmith, could you please assist - using HSBC Premier and registered in a group of five, to max out -

1 How many weeks do I need to buy at Mannings?
2 How much per week?
3 Does it matter if it is Fri/Sat/Sun?
4. How many miles do I get?

Thank you!

Last edited by IncyWincy; Dec 16, 2014 at 12:16 pm
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Percysmith, could you please assist - using HSBC Premier and registered in a group of five, to max out -

1 How many weeks do I need to buy at Mannings?

2 How much per week?
$2,500

3 Does it matter if it is Fri/Sat/Sun?
Yes (extra 2% in RewardCash)

4. How many miles do I get?
1,700RC --> 25,500 miles
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by percysmith
AM only.
Thanks. I'm looking for a good MC or Visa for points earning and the CCB eye card looks best value. Would you agree?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:18 pm

Thanks. I'm looking for a good MC or Visa for points earning and the CCB eye card looks best value. Would you agree?
Only if online. Otherwise DBS Black MC

No all-rounder card in HK unfortunately. Fubon used to be, Shacom used to be. DBS Black MC is not bad but doesn't do well with AAVS ($12/mile) or bill payment (none).
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Unfortunately no dedicated spend category covers hospital spending, so we can only think in terms of general spending promos such as CCB Summer Reward, CCB 939 and/or Bankcomm 8X.

Or worse case, bring your Worldmiles out.
Just noticed that Bankcomm have a card (FWD) which offers 2X bonus points on all medical expenditure. Of course, 2X Bankcomm points is not great by itself (but then many doctors don't take AE). But if this was stackable with other Bankcomm promotions then it might become interesting. Any thoughts, percysmith?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by dgittings
Just noticed that Bankcomm have a card (FWD) which offers 2X bonus points on all medical expenditure. Of course, 2X Bankcomm points is not great by itself (but then many doctors don't take AE). But if this was stackable with other Bankcomm promotions then it might become interesting. Any thoughts, percysmith?
And I have to go eat my hat...is there any hat in my amenity kit/I can ask for onboard/take or steal from the lounge?

Yes indeed http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/tw/creditcard/fwdcard.html . I never knew this feature existed til you brought it up. I have this card when it was still ING co-branded.

P.S. OK this is a new FWD feature that doesn't exist when the card was still ING https://web.archive.org/web/20111210...d/ingcard.html
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:21 pm

$2,500

Yes (extra 2% in RewardCash)

1,700RC --> 25,500 miles
Thank you dear Percysmith. Can't do without you!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:08 pm

Hi percysmith, my friend has a business credit card from HSBC and it isn't eligible for many (all?) of these promotions. Are there any business cards out there that offer attractive mileage earning opportunities? The HSBC biz card earns RC AFAIK. Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:31 pm

I'm not really good with corp cards.

The corp cards I know (the Amex corp charge card, the Amex CX corp credit card and the HSBC corp card) don't have outstanding programs or promos of any kind <-- that is not a valued feature in a corp card progeam, it's a form of soft corruption http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=13328&p=1 #6

Does your friend own or have a shareholding in the business? If yes he might seek to use his personal cards for payment even if the invoices and the legal liability of the purchsaes remain with the company. Just as long as he retains the receipts and keeps a good set of reimbursement paperwork I don't think the accountants will have an issue with that.

But if your friend is working for a large corporate who has a corporate card program, i think he is obliged to use it - the spending is his employer's, not his.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Only if online. Otherwise DBS Black MC

No all-rounder card in HK unfortunately. Fubon used to be, Shacom used to be. DBS Black MC is not bad but doesn't do well with AAVS ($12/mile) or bill payment (none).
And AM only?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:34 pm

And AM only?
Or Phoenixmiles http://www.dbs.com.hk/personal/credi...c-rewards.page
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:19 am

Would anyone know of any earn strategies when moving house? Agent Fees, solicitors fees and the big killer - Stamp duty!

I know that you cannot easily earn with paying tax so i doubt stamp duty will be possible either

Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by twonga
Would anyone know of any earn strategies when moving house? Agent Fees, solicitors fees and the big killer - Stamp duty!

I know that you cannot easily earn with paying tax so i doubt stamp duty will be possible either

Thanks!
Well, are you able to pay any of these fees by credit card? I'm probably guessing no. Maybe they take Paypal, but again I am guessing that is going to be a very long shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.