Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA cut off date?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2000, 7:45 am
ALW

Thanks, Ken!

I haven't been in the YVR transborder area since January and I assumed there would be more lounges in the expanded area (since the CP lounge could be a zoo some days), and that (before the merger) CP or AC would take over the current lounges as one big one.

I always meant to ask an agent about the AA members but never remembered to. It looked like people were entering based on the "Admirals Club" sign beside the door, but then being refused entry for some reason. Happened more than once and I thought perhaps they were applying CP rules (but that makes no sense since I could get into an AA lounge _and_ get 2 free drinks based only on my Gold status).

Funny about Business Class: I wonder if it's a trial balloon to see about changing more of their 2-class planes to J from F (since they really aren't First Class service by any definition -- I understand they're price and quality are closer to 3-class Business than 3-class First).

I was actually thinking of YVR-LAX (of course) as one that was solidly filled on CP and which AA might need.

andrew
Old May 30, 2000, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Just been through transorder area in YVR, but can't say I noticed any wildlife sounds or trees. etc. Did notice that Friday night it was deserted (I was only one in AC MLL and three agents had little to do: one stayed on the internet all evening!), but same thing when we went through immigration yesterday morning. They've got to do something about that long treck from the commuter section to the main terminal!

As for AA passengers trying to enter Empress Lounges -- and as I have already noted -- it might have been AAdvantage Plats trying to get in on the basis of their oneworld status, but since AA treats Canada and Mexico as domestic destinations for lounge access purposes, and if they were not Admiral Club members (it was a reciprocal arrangement, which means Admiral Club members would have access) entry would be refused unless they were flying on a CP flight number.

We definitely had the better end of that arrangement, particularly since one has to pay for alcohol in the Admiral Club lounges unless you were an Empress Club member.

As for using Cdn+ upgrades on AA flights, they will not likely be honoured after the agreement expires next month, even if the guide says otherwise. ("Reserve the to alter rules of the program...")

Interesting about J being offered instead of F out of YVR. Seems I read somewhere recently that one U.S. carrier was rebranding their domestic F-class a Business like up here. But it is a bummer given loss of that extra 25%. I guess AA figures they can do it out of YVR, but YYZ is too competitive a route and they want to maintain an advantage over AC on transborder flights from there.
Old May 30, 2000, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Just bought a YUL-ORD-LAX ticket with AA instead of flying non-stop with AC expecting to use upgrades coupons... I called the AA reservation center to inquire about that, the agent seemed a bit confused but confirmed that I could use my CP coupons as usual...

I hope the information is right because the number of flights accepting upgrades on Q fare will be going down fast...

Old May 30, 2000, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Was at the CP Vancouver CTO getting an award ticket reissue (for BA YVR-LHR-BKK-SYD r/t in May).

The agent said that CP upgrades will be honoured on AA after 31 May.

Other news is that there is no lounge access with award tickets in business/first class unless you have lounge access through status. I only had to use an award ticket this way once (1996) and i got lounge access w/o gold status.
Old May 30, 2000, 7:55 pm

This snippet of news came in today by company email. It sounds confusing to my but you expert can probably sort through it and force it to make sense.

CDN AND AA CODESHARE TERMINATES JUNE 25
On Sun. June 4, all CDN codes on flights operated by AA will be
removed in all CRSs, for travel effective on and after June 25,
2000. All passengers holding reservations on CDN flights operated by
AA will be affected by a schedule change. Originating booking
offices will be asked to rebook passengers onto the AA operating
flight as this will result in the least amount of customer impact.
Please note the Canadian Plus frequent flyer agreement with AA
remains in place. Members can continue to earn and redeem points on
AA operated flights. In addition, Canadian Plus redemption bookings
on AA are unaffected, as award travel was originally booked on the
AA operated flights. Please refer to F*CDN/CODE/AA in Sabre for
complete details on the codeshare termination.

STAR ALLIANCE GOLD LOUNGES WELCOME CPLUS MEMBERS
On June 1, 2000, Canadian Plus Exec. Platinum, Gold and Empress
Lounge members, along with one guest, will have access to over 300
Star Alliance Gold Lounges worldwide. Star Alliance is the global
alliance of Air Canada, Air New Zealand, All Nippon Airways, Ansett
Australia, Austrian Airlines Group (Austrian Airlines, Lauda Air and
Tyrolean Airways), Lufthansa, SAS, Signapore Airlines, Thai, United
and Varig. For customers convenience, Star Alliance Gold signs have
been placed at all Star Alliance Gold Lounge entrances. For complete
Star Alliance Gold lounge listings visit www.star-alliance.com.

RECIPROCAL LOUNGE ACCESS FOR ONE TIME GUEST PASSES
Also on May 29, all CDN and AC Maple Leaf one time guest passes will
give customers reciprocal access to CDN’s Empress lounges and AC’s
Maple Leaf Lounges.

ACCESS TO oneworld LOUNGES ENDS ON JUNE 1, 2000
On June 1, the following carriers will no longer recognize our
Canadian Plus members card as valid for lounge access: American
Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, Finnair, Iberia,
and Qantas Airways. One exception is access will continue to be
extended to Exec.Platinum, Gold and Empress members for QF lounges
in Sydney and Melbourne when travelling on a CP designated flight
until up to and including July 3, 2000.

Although CP is not an official * member, privileges are starting to extend "as if". I think (forgive the lack of recognition) whoever sugested earlier that CP Plus will just fold into Areoplan as CP airline folds into AC and hence into *, is correct on how things will happen: not with an official date but through osmosis. Just my opinion though.
Old May 30, 2000, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Mea culpa...

Rather than be revisionist with my last posting (i.e. going in a changing the paragraph involved), I will correct the remark about AA not honoring Cdn+ upgrades after June 25th by fessing up this way. I was a bit confused when writing that last post, thinking AA was fully withdrawing from Cdn+ in June, which is not the case of course. Until that does occur, stickers should be honored reciprocally. It is just lounge access which is being removed totally as codeshares go.

Good news about access to STAR lounge system. Does this mean CP will be using ANSETT or AIR NEW ZEALAND lounges at SYD international?
Old May 30, 2000, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Thanks for this posting!

It is strange that they terminate the code share agreement on June 25 and the lounge access on the 1st...

The good news is that for me, it shows that AC perhaps wants to move faster than expected into integrating CP in *A.

The summer season will be strage having acces to *A lounge worldwide but not being able to redeem miles on AC partners and in the same time still be able to get miles on AA but with no lounge access :-(

Old May 30, 2000, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"...there is no lounge access with award tickets in business/first class unless you have lounge access through status. I only had to use an award ticket this way once (1996) and i got lounge access w/o gold status."

TERENZ Did the Cdn agent tell you this? I would serious doubt that you would be refused lounge access with a BA F-class (international) award ticket even if you are not an elite oneworld member. My own experience would suggest otherwise, though I'd appreciate hearing from others.

I flew CO to Chile in BusinessFirst on a NW award ticket and had no status on either carrier, but had access to the lounge at both EWR and SCL. (I could have used the lounges with my Amex Platinum card, but this was not necessary.) Also have flown AF and BA on F-class award tickets back in the days when AC had no reciprocal lounge access with either carrier, but these Aeroplan tickets let us into their lounges.

Come to think of it, if this is the case, how is it that I have used the First lounge (in T3 most recently since the T4 hasn't been open recently) with only Sapphire status on both Cdn and AA? Where they exist as separate rooms, I have always gotten access to First lounges on award tickets without Emerald oneworld status.

On BA, the part of the boarding pass you keep does not contain the oneworld partner member number or status, as is found on most others. It does give name, flight number and class. That's all I've ever had to show when seeking entry into BA's hallowed Arrival's lounge.

But I still believe you were given incorrect information. (Let's hope so...)

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 05-30-2000).]
Old May 30, 2000, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shareholder:

I should have been more specific. This is what another agent was telling a passenger she was serving. I'm not too sure which airline the pax was flying on other than she was ticketing a C+ award. The agent did say that she used to have lounge privileges but currently, unless she has status which gives her lounge access, she can't use the lounge while travelling on an first or business award ticket.

Hopefully someone can fill us in.
Old May 31, 2000, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI I have posted this lounge access question on the BA site, so you may wish to check those responses out when they start arriving.
Old May 31, 2000, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
My wife and I are heading to the south eastern part of the US for a vacation later this summer, using award tickets on AA metal. We hoped to have a cool beverage (or two) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif during our stop ver in DFW as I have/had Admiral lounge access as CP Gold.

As it stands today, it looks like we will not be able to get in to the Admirals lounge in DFW: puts a bit of a damper on our vacation.
Old May 31, 2000, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, CP has only hours left in oneworld. Wonder if we're going to get any surprise packages from AA and the others in the next few weeks?

p.s. Called AA again today and they still don't know of any program to comp CP elite members in AAdvantage.
Old Jun 1, 2000, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Terenz: Between AA's offer of elite status for those Cdn+ members who also held AAdvantage accounts and had some AA flight activity during the past year (and likely only had that activity due to the oneworld 100K promo), and CX's offer of mileage to Canadian members of AAdvantage for all fares, I don't expect too much more. For AA to extend a comp to a Canadian-based Cdn+ FFer, they would likely need to see evidence of having flown transborder or within the U.S. on CP or AA itself (credited to your Cdn+ account) in the past year. And had at least one or two such flights monthly through 1999.

AA's Challenges are good enough means to offer elite status based on actual current flight activity with AA or any other oneworld partner. To carry someone at an elite level, the carrier has to benefit from your business and have some guarantee they will get more such business in the near future. But remember, the benefits of AA elite are not as great as on Cdn+, since domestic lounge access is not a perk. As for the opportunity to upgrade while undertaking flights during the Challenge, your Cdn+ stickers will be useable, you just won't have the ability on those flights to have confirmation in advance until you reach elite status.

I for one think it is fair for the airline to ask you to put out a little in order to get their elite status, particularly if you are not likely to fly them several times a month as would be the case if you asked to be comp'd by switching from DL or UA. Is it fair to those U.S.-based FFers who actually had to earn their 25K or 50K to get Gold or Platinum that someone who has seldom flown AA gets immediate access to the benefits they have paid for? That's one of the reasons the Challenge is not widely advertised. (If I was a U.S.-based AAdvantage member and read your post about all CX fares being eligible for miles/points accumulation only for Canadians, I'd be a bit pissed off at both AA and CX.)

Yes, AA wants your transborder and intra-U.S. business, but will only go so far to get it. I think they've made some pretty attractive offers to us.

(If you decide to fly QF to Australia -- as I think you are contemplating -- you'll get AA Platinum under the Challenge and if the flights are completed after mid-July, you will hold that status through to Feb 2001 [a year-and-a-half]. You will also get double miles on the whole trip, not just the HNL-SYD-HNL portion as Cdn+ is offering, so your AA balance will be at least 35K at the end of this single $1,199 trip. And after you qualify for Platinum, all your flights will get the 100% bonus.)
Old Jun 1, 2000, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shareholder:

I guess as consumers, we can always ask for more! What AA has to realise is that those who do a lot of domestic travel and not that much transborder or international really won't have too many opportunities to earn AA status past the end of September.

As for the QF Australia trip, I don't think by itself it'll earn Platinum status for a challenge out of YVR or even YYZ. 15,526 and 19,318 miles x 0.5 points/mile respectively still leaves you short of 10,000 points.

Also, the double miles bonus on CP can actually worth more because QF only gives 70% miles on discounted tickets, unless you have an elite bonus in effect with AA (which you appear to have).

YVR-SYD r/t
QF: 15,526 miles r/t x 0.7 x 2 = 21,736
CP: 15,526 + 10,146 double bonus = 25,762
QF with Gold bonus= 24,453
QF with Platinum bonus= 32,605

YYZ-SYD r/t
QF: 19,318 miles r/t x 0.7 x 2 = 27,045
CP: 19,318 + 10,146 = 29,464
QF with Gold bonus = 30,426
QF with Platinum bonus = 40,568

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 06-01-2000).]
Old Jun 4, 2000, 12:12 am

For a report on the demise of AA/CP reciprocal upgrades, see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum18/HTML/000452.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.