Security issues at YVR (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Security issues at YVR (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by YVR4Ever
They did the last time I went through there, but that was a couple of months ago. At that time, took about 20 min. to get through the whole thing using Nexus.
thank you

this is one issue. another thing that scares me is the on-time record of AC planes - more than half seems to be 1-2h late in taking off
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:36 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by gnomey
thank you

this is one issue. another thing that scares me is the on-time record of AC planes - more than half seems to be 1-2h late in taking off
That is very dependent on origin and destination. My flight today from YVR-YOW was around 20 min. late due to late passengers stuck in security. Allegedly, things are slowly starting to get better.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
So, I saw the various photos on the CBC, and in the Daily Hive, and it appears that security screening at YVR is possibly back to gong show mode, but for an entirely artificial reason.

Does anyone have recent first hand experience? Is it Priority DOM, General DOM, TB, INT, or all three?
I flew out of Domestic, Priority last week around 12 pm (departing on AC 8506) and myself and my travel companion were literally the only people in the security screening area. That's a first for me.

There were a lot of very bored looking CATSA people.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
News is that an $8/hr bonus for the summer has expired starting Sunday so workers aren't coming in.

Expect more chaos as the contractor (Allied Universal) has proverbially drawn a line in the sand. Add to that the unions have been w/o a contract for nearly 1 1/2 years.

https://vancouversun.com/news/yvr-se...ace-discipline
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:04 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Well, that should make my 08:00 flight on Sunday that more interesting....
Old Sep 2, 2022, 9:53 pm

didnt have to go through security screening again once arrive in YVR if connecting flight is domestic within canada. is that standard across all canada airports (implicit trust in US screening) ?
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by gnomey
didnt have to go through security screening again once arrive in YVR if connecting flight is domestic within canada. is that standard across all canada airports (implicit trust in US screening) ?
ITD OSS (International-to-Domestic One Stop Security) is in place in YVR and YYZ - not sure about YUL.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3, AC
Didn’t realize there was a bunch of changes at YVR. Last time doing INTL-DOM was back in April.
New connections facility was interesting, I’m sure it’ll end up saving some time when the normal immigration is packed(which I’ve never seen it packed??). Of course the connections security wasn’t open so they dumped me out at landslide domestic. Apparently I wasn’t automatically enrolled into OSS since I was connecting from WS to AC from USA.

Also didn’t realize C gate security has changed to NEXUS/PRIO only, went and got a paper boarding pass with a green sticker. Absolutely no people in C gate security, lots of security personnel doing a whole lot of nothing. I think having all of the Dom Y pax clearing over at A gates might be artificially making the lines worse.

Last edited by cyralax; Sep 6, 2022 at 6:01 pm
Old Dec 30, 2022, 5:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP; Air Canada 35k; Marriott Gold
First time doing US preclearance at YVR - is it usually busy on Sunday mornings?
Old Dec 30, 2022, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by withfaith
First time doing US preclearance at YVR - is it usually busy on Sunday mornings?
Depends what time in the morning. There are a lot of flights that depart in the 6am to 8am period, preclearance is normally quite busy until after that rush has passed.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Haven’t done transborder to YVR and connecting to a domestic flight since before Covid. How is that working now?

I know one clears customs in YVR. Do we still collect bags and put them on transfer belt or just identify them on computer to CBS official?

In the past, there was an elevator from the customs area up to security for connecting pax (not sure that security area was called). Is that still the case?

Anything to be aware of to get thru as quickly as possible?
Old Apr 16, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Haven’t done transborder to YVR and connecting to a domestic flight since before Covid. How is that working now?

I know one clears customs in YVR. Do we still collect bags and put them on transfer belt or just identify them on computer to CBS official?

In the past, there was an elevator from the customs area up to security for connecting pax (not sure that security area was called). Is that still the case?

Anything to be aware of to get thru as quickly as possible?
We've used the in-transit connections facility at YVR, it's great.
The key question is whether or not you are flying with a participating airline and your connection qualifies. For example, flying AC from the U.S. and connecting to AC domestically does. Flying United from the U.S. and connecting to a domestic AC flight does not. Check with your airline.
If your flights qualify, you stay upstairs and use the connections facility. Do NOT go downstairs into the main customs hall. Your bags will be automatically transferred. You make your declarations upstairs and then proceed to your domestic gate. Coming from the U.S. under this process you do not have to be rescreened for security because Canada treats U.S. aviation security as equivalent.
There are staff at the connections facility who will check your boarding passes for both your inbound and onward flight. If you don't qualify they will send you downstairs.
The other key is not to have any reason to answer YES to any of the customs questions. For example, if you exceed any of your allowances or you have any sort of questionable food/meat/produce you will be sent downstairs to the main customs area and your bags will be recalled from the baggage system for CBSA inspection.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
@TravellingChris, many thanks. Had an AC to AC connection and it was exactly as you report. I did check food on my declaration (online in advance) and on the manual declaration upon arrival (a story). No one seemed to care or ask any questions. What I had was allowable.

I also have Nexus and used that queue upstairs. The machine didn’t read my card. Reported this to the CBSA. He could not get either of their machines to read my passport, hence the need to fill out one of those old forms. He informed me there had to be a receipt from the machine and when there isn’t one, they resort to the manual system. Other people seem to not have machine issues and neither CBSA person on duty at the time could explain why it didn’t work.

Not a problem for me other than wasting time. Prior to Covid I always had to redo security there so this was a huge improvement.
TravellingChris likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bartolo
The machine didn’t read my card. Reported this to the CBSA. He could not get either of their machines to read my passport, hence the need to fill out one of those old forms. He informed me there had to be a receipt from the machine and when there isn’t one, they resort to the manual system. Other people seem to not have machine issues and neither CBSA person on duty at the time could explain why it didn’t work.
Any chance this was a new or replacement card? I didn’t notice I was supposed to activate my replacement card, as it came in the mail the night before a trip - just peeled it off the letter and took it with me. When coming home through YVR the machine wouldn't read it, so I mentioned it to an officer, saying it was a brand new card. They weren't at all concerned, just said their machines were terrible (passport scan worked on machines with 100 questions, so I was told to get a printout that way). Two days later, using the Nexus lane to travel to the US, I was sent to secondary to get it activated because the RFID readers don't work without that online activation. It was painless and fast, but I still felt like an idiot for missing that step.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:59 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
nomadic.relief - Good safety tip.

Oddly enough, I didn't have this issue with my new card - I think.

This was before Xmas, but I tried my card coming back into Canada and it didn't seem to work, so went to the CBSA officer and they scanned it. I've had zero issues either way since. So maybe they activated it as part of that process. Dunno.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.