Security issues at YVR (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Security issues at YVR (2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2022, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary

Domestic security line at YVR stretches all the way back to Air France.

Nexus on the Air Canada side appears to be closed, the concierge told me to go through Nexus on the WestJet side, which had me through in about five minutes rather than the hour-plus it sounds like it's taking for regular security.

I've never seen it this bad even at Christmas.
Benefit of a monopoly. Customer satisfaction is not a requirement. Probably the source of my greatest anxiety in travelling again in times of Covid.
EdmFlyBoi likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: AC 50K
C security for nexus and priority.

Long lines for the others

Lines all the way to international check in
Old May 2, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: hahaha
YBang oh, you're standing "AT" C security, but they're still funneling everybody through A/B? That's, what, a 200-300 metre queue to the entrance of the checkpoint? Wild times
Old May 2, 2022, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by asovse1
YBang oh, you're standing "AT" C security, but they're still funneling everybody through A/B? That's, what, a 200-300 metre queue to the entrance of the checkpoint? Wild times
Correct, fortunately they had better informed staff for priority security today. Was not the case for me on Sat.

It was so long, I think C to A/B is approx 200 meters. Could not see the end.
asovse1 likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 2:31 am

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
How are the lines in the evening? I have an 11pm flight in two weeks, thought I'd show up early and hit the lounge.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:46 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by smes
How are the lines in the evening? I have an 11pm flight in two weeks, thought I'd show up early and hit the lounge.
According to CTV news last night, pretty bad, only YYZ being worse.

And a spokesperson (IIRC one of the federal agencies) said not to expect it to get much better anytime soon with shortage of security staff
Old May 3, 2022, 6:25 pm

Once you return to YVR, there are often line ups pushing close to 30 minutes for a taxi.
Old May 3, 2022, 6:58 pm

Why oh why did I agree to fly with a FOTSG on May long weekend?! Hoping a 9am Sunday departure helps, but will closely monitor updates here.
Old May 3, 2022, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Why oh why did I agree to fly with a FOTSG on May long weekend?! Hoping a 9am Sunday departure helps, but will closely monitor updates here.
9am is a bit better when I travelled this past Sat. about 40 min. Starts getting insane from that.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:47 am

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Originally Posted by tracon
Once you return to YVR, there are often line ups pushing close to 30 minutes for a taxi.
Jeez, just use the Skytrain.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by smes
Jeez, just use the Skytrain.
Not if you are headed anywhere not on/near a SkyTrain line.
nomadic.relief and Bohemian1 like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:13 am

So to clarify, currently they are flip-flopping A/B and C gates for NEXUS/Priority Lane? But sometimes there isn't even that?

Also just remembered first flight hasn't cleared J, so boarding passes won't have "Priority Security", so bags or not, guess we'll be stopping by the SE desk for green stickers! (Though I seriously doubt companion will be able to master carryon only, I haven't fully given up hope. )
Old May 4, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: AP 35K
Is it bad at night? Have an international flight this Friday at 11:50 PM. Three hours early recommended?
Old May 4, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by flyingpbandj
Is it bad at night? Have an international flight this Friday at 11:50 PM. Three hours early recommended?
I had friends arrive 2.5h early for their 9:25PM flight yesterday (Tuesday) just to find out it was pretty empty. Not sure if one-off (they can't solve staffing issues that quickly so doubtful), or a time/day combo that ended up being perfect.
aquanine and flyingpbandj like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Security Wait Times at YVR- Early flights

Has anyone recently taken a 6:00 am departure from YVR on the domestic side?

What was security wait time like? OLCI told me to arrive at the airport at 03:30 am....which is cruel and unusual and I strongly suspect that they are just adding 30 minutes across the board irrespective of time of day.

I'm on WS 700 tomorrow at 6:00 and my normal practice (I'm now referring to "THE BEFORE TIMES") has been to arrive at about 04:30. I have nexus so that might sweeten the deal but OLCI wasn't able to upload my VAX cert. so I have to go to an agent anyway.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.