Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2021, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by jlisi984
This is next-to-impossible, because you need to go to a country that doesn’t require a COVID test for entry (as you’re not allowed to get one while under quarantine)
This is not true. Many times during covid I have driven into Canada for 2-4 days and went to get a covid test while in quarantine in order to be able to fly back to USA. You are allowed to break quarantine for medical purposes. Once they even called me from PHAC while I was getting my test and it was permitted so I could fly back to USA.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
This is not true. Many times during covid I have driven into Canada for 2-4 days and went to get a covid test while in quarantine in order to be able to fly back to USA. You are allowed to break quarantine for medical purposes. Once they even called me from PHAC while I was getting my test and it was permitted so I could fly back to USA.
True that you're allowed to break quarantine for a covid test. But, most places that do travel tests ask if you're currently under government quarantine, or have traveled outside of Canada in the past 14 days. Assuming they will refuse you if you say yes...
jlisi984 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 8:03 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
They would need to be fully vaccinated and have that checked upon arrival so I don't think their quarantine would end early in that case.
Yes I see what you mean, technically it could be problematic. However the issue is mostly a matter of checking documents, not a matter of public health if the person is genuinely vaccinated. Let's say someone fully vaccinated enters Canada late June, does not show proof because nobody asks, then a few days later new rules kick in and that person gets out of quarantine without being given the green light, gets caught (not sure by whom, and how), and at that time shows proof of vaccination. It would seem quite harsh to punish that individual the same as unvaccinated travellers breaking quarantine.

They could simply announce that vaccinated travelers are free to get out of quarantine without anybody checking proof even though it's not a fail-safe process. Not that it ever was to begin with...

Anyway I will not plan to enter Canada late June
Old Jun 14, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *G
Originally Posted by escape4
Yes I see what you mean, technically it could be problematic. However the issue is mostly a matter of checking documents, not a matter of public health if the person is genuinely vaccinated. Let's say someone fully vaccinated enters Canada late June, does not show proof because nobody asks, then a few days later new rules kick in and that person gets out of quarantine without being given the green light, gets caught (not sure by whom, and how), and at that time shows proof of vaccination. It would seem quite harsh to punish that individual the same as unvaccinated travellers breaking quarantine.

They could simply announce that vaccinated travelers are free to get out of quarantine without anybody checking proof even though it's not a fail-safe process. Not that it ever was to begin with...

Anyway I will not plan to enter Canada late June
With the current rules expiring on June 21, I think the logical action to take is to implement the proposed no quarantine for vaccinated travelers who have a negative covid-19 test on arrival. It gives border agencies two weeks to ramp up to July 1st - July 4th, a potentially huge tourism week. With the current supply of vaccines and more and more people getting their second doses, this timeline is ambitious but feasible.

The news that the vaccine is effective against the delta variant along with the world-leading vaccination rates in Canada should push politicians towards an earlier reopening. We all know that the US is considering a unilateral opening of their land border.

I think such an action would be welcomed by all and would inject some optimism into the populace. The recent press conference with the no-specific timeline approach just leaves everyone feeling gloomy, without a time to look forward to. I understand the need to continue to monitor the situation but one can do that along with giving specific target dates for reopening.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC*S100K MM, Carlson Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by gnof
With the current rules expiring on June 21, I think the logical action to take is to implement the proposed no quarantine for vaccinated travelers who have a negative covid-19 test on arrival. It gives border agencies two weeks to ramp up to July 1st - July 4th, a potentially huge tourism week. With the current supply of vaccines and more and more people getting their second doses, this timeline is ambitious but feasible.

The news that the vaccine is effective against the delta variant along with the world-leading vaccination rates in Canada should push politicians towards an earlier reopening. We all know that the US is considering a unilateral opening of their land border.

I think such an action would be welcomed by all and would inject some optimism into the populace. The recent press conference with the no-specific timeline approach just leaves everyone feeling gloomy, without a time to look forward to. I understand the need to continue to monitor the situation but one can do that along with giving specific target dates for reopening.
Logical? Absolutely! But the whole thing has been far from logical.

Another logical idea could be to eliminate this requirement to those who otherwise have a full, verifiable, and enforceable quarantine plan at their final destination, which doesn't require a domestic flight to get to. Health Minister Hajdu was quoted saying, "I will say at the beginning it was a reflection of the fact that PCR tests take some time to come back and when people were flying into international airports and onward travel to smaller jurisdictions, we wanted to be able to have the results of those PCR tests before they continued on in another airplane.” So, if that was the intent, that what was the purpose of imposing this on those who were going to quarantine at home and didn't require public transit to reach their homes from the moment they land in one of the authorized international airports?
Old Jun 14, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by gnof

Dr. Tam cited 75/20% of adults (which translates to around 61/16% of the population) getting their 1st/2nd shot as the trigger for relaxing border restrictions in mid May. Then it became 75/20% of eligible people (12 years and older, 65/17% of population). It's funny how she refers to those benchmarks as "goalposts", perhaps an acknowledgement that she has and is willing to move them.

Canada as a whole is already at 65% of population with 1 dose, and maybe not even a week away from 17% with 2. So we're basically there, having vaccinated a number equivalent to 75/20% of the adult, and even the eligible population.

What are they waiting for, for Pfizer to gets authorization for 6mo - 12 years in order to move the goalposts again? I wonder if they will announce the July change to the hotel quarantine rule as being triggered by their "scientific" metrics: 2 weeks (for vaccines to kick in) after achieving the 75/20 goal in late June. If the only thing that changes is the semi-exemption of fully vaxxed travellers from hotel jail, it's gonna be a long summer and indeed year.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Then it became 75/20% of eligible people (12 years and older, 65/17% of population). It's funny how she refers to those benchmarks as "goalposts", perhaps an acknowledgement that she has and is willing to move them.
What are they waiting for, for Pfizer to gets authorization for 6mo - 12 years in order to move the goalposts again?
Its 74.1%/15.23% of 12+ as I look now. So 75/20 of eligible 12+ is happening in 5/6 days tops (ie. before June 21)

So yes, surely they will move the goalposts.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: FB Gold
The most frustrating thing about all this is the terrible communications. There is a splash in the press that restrictions will be eased and then hold a press conference where they have no details, nor can they even say when they will have the details. It makes it feel like there is no plan at all and they are just making it up as they go along...

My family would very much like to come to Canada this summer to see grandparents and meet newly born family members, but we feel stuck until we know what the rules will be for my 11 year old daughter, since she doesn't have the option of vaccination. Do we give up hope on Canada and just plan a summer holiday staying in Europe, or do we hold out hope that the rules will change in our favor, and risk being stuck if they don't.
Bogwoppit, LETTERBOY, leoo and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CanuckInParis
The most frustrating thing about all this is the terrible communications. There is a splash in the press that restrictions will be eased and then hold a press conference where they have no details, nor can they even say when they will have the details. It makes it feel like there is no plan at all and they are just making it up as they go along...

My family would very much like to come to Canada this summer to see grandparents and meet newly born family members, but we feel stuck until we know what the rules will be for my 11 year old daughter, since she doesn't have the option of vaccination. Do we give up hope on Canada and just plan a summer holiday staying in Europe, or do we hold out hope that the rules will change in our favor, and risk being stuck if they don't.
We're in the same situation - my wife and I are fully vaccinated health care workers, but my 9 year old isn't eligible. Most other countries have published their plans months in advance - we're being kept in the dark... Maybe intentionally?
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Its 74.1%/15.23% of 12+ as I look now. So 75/20 of eligible 12+ is happening in 5/6 days tops (ie. before June 21)

is there a link to these vaccinated percentages you quoted? I did a back of the napkin calculation based on year-old statcan population breakdown. Looks like I came pretty close.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by ywgckp
We're in the same situation - my wife and I are fully vaccinated health care workers, but my 9 year old isn't eligible. Most other countries have published their plans months in advance - we're being kept in the dark... Maybe intentionally?
Tam was asked about children travelling with vaccinated adults at the most recent press event. All she said was that children would not be separated from their parents, which is obvious. She wouldn't or couldn't comment on any details.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Tam was asked about children travelling with vaccinated adults at the most recent press event. All she said was that children would not be separated from their parents, which is obvious. She wouldn't or couldn't comment on any details.
Yes, I saw that. They'll almost certainly do one of two things - require a 7-14 day quarantine at home for children, or exempt children from the quarantine requirement if both parents are vaccinated and they test negative. Those are two very different scenarios! And it'd be helpful to know which way we're headed.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:50 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Has anyone recently stayed in a YVR quarintine hotel and successfully get a refund for unused nights if they left early?
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
is there a link to these vaccinated percentages you quoted? I did a back of the napkin calculation based on year-old statcan population breakdown. Looks like I came pretty close.
https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

switch from all to eligible 12+
Old Jun 16, 2021, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu

They already have...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...nown-1.5471702

JT et al have checked into private quarantine hotel.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trud...trip-1.5472198

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.