Looks like more entry restrictions for Canada coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looks like more entry restrictions for Canada coming

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
He basically just repeated his usual line that Canada already has some of the toughest restrictions in the world
I don't get why he keeps repeating this line...

It's not like the tough restrictions have resulted in Canada doing well to combat covid.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by On Time Reports
I don't get why he keeps repeating this line...

It's not like the tough restrictions have resulted in Canada doing well to combat covid.
Because that's what communications people tell you to do...same reason why you get the same commercial 20 times during a hockey game.

I agree with others however that it seems the government isn't going to bring forward the tougher measures they're threatening...at least right now. It seems ON/QC case numbers are really starting to come down. What this tells me is that domestic restrictions are more effective overall at controlling case numbers. If they can get the numbers down now and get the 20 million needles they promise by the start of summer then things might get somewhere.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
What I just took from today's press conference and Trudeau's evasive non-answers to the Quebec media's harder line questions is that the feds are bluffing. They are trying to sow enough uncertainty to stop people booking international travel but I think the hotel quarantine won't happen. He basically just repeated his usual line that Canada already has some of the toughest restrictions in the world and the US and Europe follow our lead and that anything further would disrupt our air cargo supply chains
Calling the bluff risks two weeks at the lowest bidding hotel chain near the airport. Is the Prime Minister looking for his "just watch me moment?"

There are provisions within in the provincial emergency measures acts that could at least in theory be applied if an individual province were prepared to act unilaterally to curtail non-essential leisure travel.

Last edited by Badenoch; Jan 26, 2021 at 10:42 am
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Because that's what communications people tell you to do...same reason why you get the same commercial 20 times during a hockey game.
Okay but is this message supposed to satisfy Canadians? What's the purpose of this message??
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Okay but is this message supposed to satisfy Canadians? What's the purpose of this message??
Today he outright lied when he said that all arrivals in Canada are required to quarantine for 14 days.
No mention of the millions who do not.

I am sure most people went... ahhhh.. wow thats so great, everyone has to quarantine!
Crampedin13A and SFO777 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Today he outright lied when he said that all arrivals in Canada are required to quarantine for 14 days.

I am sure most people went... ahhhh.. wow thats so great, everyone has to quarantine!
Many more land arrivals than air arrivals from USA including trucks, etc.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jan 26, 2021 at 11:29 am
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba

Also lied when he said only people who live in Canada are allowed to enter. I still feel that the hotel quarantine will be a non starter. They are trying to get people to cancel their international travel plans without actually having to do anything or even hoping other countries especially the US make it onerous for Canadians to enter
rankourabu likes this.

Last edited by Crampedin13A; Jan 26, 2021 at 11:04 am
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:17 am

Further Action Needed to Protect the Border and Stop the Spread of COVID-19

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/6...ad-of-covid-19

Banning flights with multiple stops in countries with a known variant should also be considered.
Which flights would qualify?
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
I was expecting a rapid antigen testing for all arrivals, air or land. Nothing yet - this measure is overdue.
As for managed isolation in hotels, looks like the government doesn't want to get there but it may happen anyway. I would bet it would be targeted for positive cases or high risk zones, and the other would be referred to the local police departments for random checks, but who knows...
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
I was expecting a rapid antigen testing for all arrivals, air or land. Nothing yet - this measure is overdue.
As for managed isolation in hotels, looks like the government doesn't want to get there but it may happen anyway. I would bet it would be targeted for positive cases or high risk zones, and the other would be referred to the local police departments for random checks, but who knows...
Land is tough as no gatekeeper like the airline for air entries to Canada. Land border denied entry means having to attempt to reenter USA which is not currently permitted for Canadians.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We'd ran out of rapid tests pretty fast if land border was included, there are still (contrary to popular belief) thousands of crossings daily - and the deployment of tests woud be a logistical nightmare.

The UK version of hotel quarantine from "high-risk" places sounds like a reasonable approach.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba

Further Action Needed to Protect the Border and Stop the Spread of COVID-19

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/6...ad-of-covid-19

Which flights would qualify?
I would assume that is a poorly worded way of saying that travelers flying from the hotspot countries transferring in non hotspot countries would be targeted as well. For example someone flying JNB-DXB-YYZ
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Land is tough as no gatekeeper like the airline for air entries to Canada. Land border denied entry means having to attempt to reenter USA which is not currently permitted for Canadians.
Well the idea is not to deny entry at land borders. Just test everyone entering from land, do the test, wait 15 min for the result and if it's negative the traveler is good to go, if positive he/she must follow isolation guidelines for positive cases.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:41 am
Original Poster

We'd ran out of rapid tests pretty fast if land border was included, there are still (contrary to popular belief) thousands of crossings daily - and the deployment of tests woud be a logistical nightmare.
Well, maybe... In that case what about a weekly test for truckers / essential workers ? And keep the antigen testing for those who don't have a test recent enough...
I don't know, my point is that there is a little bit more which could be done for the 350,000 daily crossing of people not subject to quarantine, if they are so concerned about introduction of new cases / variants from international travelers...
Old Jan 26, 2021, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know, my point is that there is a little bit more which could be done for the 350,000 daily crossing of people not subject to quarantine, if they are so concerned about introduction of new cases / variants from international travelers...
Absolutely agree. But we all know this isnt about introduction of cases/variants - or yes, this, and especially the rules about who is "essential" would be tighthened up.
Yul_voyager likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.