Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looks like more entry restrictions for Canada coming

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by Badenoch

Meanwhile, the lack of clarity on the program continues.

https://twitter.com/CBCToronto/statu...84624616026113
There is definitely a lack of clarity and transparency.

From the CBC article:
"Many people have questioned how a three-day stay in a hotel could total $2,000. The government says the amount would also cover related expenses, such as the cost of the test, transportation, hotel security and added health protections for hotel staff. Presumably, meals would be included as well."

It still doesn't justify the cost and if the government wants people to trust them, they would need to come up with a clear breakdown of each of the dollars in those $ 2,000 for a 3 day period.

Quarantine in Melbourne for 2 weeks is AUD 3,000 and AUD 1,000 for each additional person.

There is still no way to justify the CAD 2,000 and I don't believe Canada has higher labor costs and food is more expensive than in Australia when in fact it is the opposite with Australia having a minimum wage of AUD 19.84 quite a bit higher compared to Canada's CAD 14.25.

I am not against these entry conditions but there has to be transparency and somekind of common sense, especially when it comes to asking people to pay $ 2,000 for 3 days all-inclusive, otherwise people are going to loose trust and faith in what the government is doing.
LETTERBOY, Yul_voyager and 24left like this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
......otherwise people are going to loose trust and faith in what the government is doing.
@yvrcnx
I love your optimism, using a bit of the future tense there. But that barn burned down long ago.

And yet here we are, a week now is it, when they announced the plan for quarantine hotels and $2,000 costs for 3 days to start "soon".

I get that this is scare theatre to get some people to return home early and indeed, repatriation flights of a sort from various airlines have been bringing people back.

None of this changes the situation for those who left long before all the the multiple-guess rules and new restrictions were announced, or those who have travelled to care for family members or those who have travelled for medical treatment - all of whom plus others, who are trying to plan for a quarantine stay, especially challenging when the arrival airport is not their their home city.
JNelson113, yvrcnx and testycal like this.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 7, 2021 at 11:54 am Reason: Off topic
Old Feb 7, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by 24left
@yvrcnx
I love your optimism, using a bit of the future tense there. But that barn burned down long ago.

And yet here we are, a week now is it, when they announced the plan for quarantine hotels and $2,000 costs for 3 days to start "soon".

I get that this is scare theatre to get some people to return home early and indeed, repatriation flights of a sort from various airlines have been bringing people back.

None of this changes the situation for those who left long before all the the multiple-guess rules and new restrictions were announced, or those who have travelled to care for family members or those who have travelled for medical treatment - all of whom plus others, who are trying to plan for a quarantine stay, especially challenging when the arrival airport is not their their home city.
Plan is Feb 14th for air arrivals.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 7, 2021 at 11:55 am Reason: edit quote
Old Feb 7, 2021, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Plan is Feb 14th for air arrivals.
IRC, you posted upthread that you know someone at an airline so I'll assume that is where you are getting your info.

I was curious when the supposed start date was first mentioned. I searched the thread, looking for what may be the first post on the topic. Jan 31 post with a report from the CBC.

Subsequent interviews with various "officials" were spectacularly vague and all we've heard is "it's coming". Oh I'm sure. And it will be a flawless execution. I imagine CBSA and police confronting those who are returning, who may have the wrong test, or some other paperwork issue, and are dragged off to the quarantine jail. It will be interesting if it's a young child or a senior in a wheelchair, or a pregnant woman.

If done A YEAR AGO or even after AU and NZ and HKG implemented their quarantine hotels, Canada could have taken some notes, we would not be where we are today.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by yvrcnx

From the CBC article:
"Many people have questioned how a three-day stay in a hotel could total $2,000. The government says the amount would also cover related expenses, such as the cost of the test, transportation, hotel security and added health protections for hotel staff. Presumably, meals would be included as well."

It still doesn't justify the cost and if the government wants people to trust them, they would need to come up with a clear breakdown of each of the dollars in those $ 2,000 for a 3 day period.

Quarantine in Melbourne for 2 weeks is AUD 3,000 and AUD 1,000 for each additional person.

There is still no way to justify the CAD 2,000 and I don't believe Canada has higher labor costs and food is more expensive than in Australia when in fact it is the opposite with Australia having a minimum wage of AUD 19.84 quite a bit higher compared to Canada's CAD 14.25.

I am not against these entry conditions but there has to be transparency and somekind of common sense, especially when it comes to asking people to pay $ 2,000 for 3 days all-inclusive, otherwise people are going to loose trust and faith in what the government is doing.
Do we know yet if it is $4,000 for a husband and wife snowbird couple sharing a prison cell/hotel room? There is double the meal cost but not necessarily double the accommodation cost.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by 24left
IRC, you posted upthread that you know someone at an airline so I'll assume that is where you are getting your info.

I was curious when the supposed start date was first mentioned. I searched the thread, looking for what may be the first post on the topic. Jan 31 post with a report from the CBC.

Subsequent interviews with various "officials" were spectacularly vague and all we've heard is "it's coming". Oh I'm sure. And it will be a flawless execution. I imagine CBSA and police confronting those who are returning, who may have the wrong test, or some other paperwork issue, and are dragged off to the quarantine jail. It will be interesting if it's a young child or a senior in a wheelchair, or a pregnant woman.

If done A YEAR AGO or even after AU and NZ and HKG implemented their quarantine hotels, Canada could have taken some notes, we would not be where we are today.
I agree. It's too late for this to change anything. And dates keep changing because they don't know what they're doing. They threw a bone to their electorate and now they're trying to figure which hotels will be used, how will everything be implemented, how to justify the cost, etc. And what's worse is that a pilot program like the one at YYC was just about to be announced for YYZ and YUL so people could reduce their quarantine time but this new federal law threw that out the window. And don't expect the mandatory hotel quarantine to go away even as things get better. They'll use that as proof that border measures work and we need to keep them or else things will go south again.

Last edited by YYZ1313; Feb 7, 2021 at 2:22 pm
Old Feb 7, 2021, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
After editing or deleting a number of off topic posts and replies it seems a number of posters are unwilling to follow FT Rules to stick to the thread topic and my posted request in post 398 to skip the editorials and post fact-based news & information so this thread will remain closed as there are a number of other locations around FT in which to debate the wider virus matters including the Coronavirus and Travel and OMNI P/R forums.

Please note that any new threads in this forum on Canada entry restrictions will be expected to focus on the facts and serve as a resource to readers or they also will be closed.

tcook052
Canada forum moderator
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 8, 2021 at 8:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.