Search

Looks like more entry restrictions for Canada coming

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by airoli
Surely you must be joking.
When the immediate threat of this pandemic recedes (vaccinations etc.), I am 100% certain that a very large part of the Canadian population will demand borders to be opened again. I don't think Canadians see themselves as a modern-day incarnation of a country behind the Iron Curtain, but with walls put up by a democratically elected government. On the contrary, Canada is a multicultural country with strong links to many other places, and an economy densely interwoven with that of the United States. By and large, Canadians know and want that.
I hope I m wrong.
But when you have 67% of people voting to completely close the borders (even to trade) - it seems to me even if there is a slightest chance of virus importation - real or imagined - people's opinions wont change. And you can always scare them with new variants if they start questioning things
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
What happens in 7 months when the vaccines start to pile up when the last 30% of the population isn't vaccinated and has no interest in doing do. Will they be allowed to travel? Are we looking at vaccine passports?
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
What happens in 7 months when the vaccines start to pile up when the last 30% of the population isn't vaccinated and has no interest in doing do. Will they be allowed to travel? Are we looking at vaccine passports?
I am starting to feel that these restrictions will be in place into 2022. Ugh
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:48 am

Ontario to implement mandatory COVID-19 tests for international arrivals at Pearson a

Looks like regardless of what fed govt. will announce today on travel restrictions, according to CBC, Ontario will implement it's own mandatory COVID-19 testing policy for international passengers arriving at Pearson airport.

Ford is scheduled to hold a news conference at Queen's Park beginning at 3 p.m. ET today.

Ontario to implement mandatory COVID-19 tests for international arrivals at Pearson airport: source | CBC News
Old Jan 29, 2021, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by mileageking
Looks like regardless of what fed govt. will announce today on travel restrictions, according to CBC, Ontario will implement it's own mandatory COVID-19 testing policy for international passengers arriving at Pearson airport.

Ford is scheduled to hold a news conference at Queen's Park beginning at 3 p.m. ET today.

Ontario to implement mandatory COVID-19 tests for international arrivals at Pearson airport: source | CBC News
Pearson should be easy enough - and long overdue. Land border into Ontario - good luck keeping up with the demand!

72hr test, test on arrival, and 14 day hotel quarantine is overkill.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
72hr test, test on arrival, and 14 day hotel quarantine is overkill.
Would 14 day hotel quarantine be necessary if one tests negative upon arrival?
oreomilkshake likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
A few days ago it was reported in the press that this was the question which remained, with a part of Cabinet wanting hotel prison for everyone and another feeling that went too far but open to locking up those who tested positive.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
100% Yes. You are making the mistake of thinking there will be anything making travel easier. The point is to stop travel without violating the charter.

In regards to the hotels I imagine there will only be certain ones allowed? Read the report on the NZ case a few days ago below. It appears she got infected through the HVAC system right the end of her quarantine then got released. Awesome. So not only do you have to be locked in a hotel for 2 weeks you might get covid. Talk about unintended consequences

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/new-ze...case-1.5886082
Old Jan 29, 2021, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by airoli
Surely you must be joking.
When the immediate threat of this pandemic recedes (vaccinations etc.),
See here is the problem, how do you define "recedes"? Is it when the rest of the world gets vaccinated in large percentages? That will be well into 2022. Is it when case numbers domestically go down to this past summer's, or lower? Wouldn't then the rallying cry be go full NZ/OZ/PRC? A huge portion of the population is scared out of their wits, and will continue to be no matter what.

There need to be certain concrete criteria for a sunset provision on these upcoming restrictions but we will not get them. Instead it will be a continual inquiry into the wind's direction. Sorry to repeat that or appear to make it political: support for border closures is nearly double in ON and QC compared to out West. That's the data this government is most concerned with imho.
The Lev and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
nonsense, the odds are far greater its coming from the triple-tested 100 people returning from a closed resort who will quarantine on arrival than the 300,000 daily truckers or the hundreds of "essential" travelling salesmen.

Havent you heard - its all sun-seeking vacationeers fault! Lock em up!
Rankourabu, you keep repeating that "essential" traveling salesmen mantra, but do you have any proof? I have to tell you, from my position things look quite a bit different. I work for a company in water treatment industry. Among others we build drinking and waste water treatment plants. Meaning our business is clearly essential, as defined by the government. And yet, our travel exemption is not clearly cut. One can declare his/her travel exempt, however it is for the CBSA officer to grant or deny the exemption. And guess what, the exemption is more often denied than granted. Usually they say that our exemption will kick in as soon as we are sent to a project. Or we can leave the country before the 14 days are up, but for that one doesn't have to be an essential worker.

Originally Posted by FlyerAl
Assuming that "essential" goods are defined as only food and health related, delays to "non-essential" shipments not only impact already struggling businesses but it also wreaks havoc for the average person. Are people willing to tolerate extended delays with online orders or shortages of goods in stores? Delays in car parts, tech goods? Combined with non-existent vaccines and additional restrictions on movements, I think that would be political suicide for any government. But if the feds want to go that route, I'm all for it!
The list of "essential" goods goes far beyond food and medical related goods. From your examples, car parts are as essential as it gets.

Originally Posted by On Time Reports
There must be some good PR people at Transat to convince the CBC to send out a push notification to my phone with "BREAKING NEWS".
I heard some rumors that AC and WS is going to join TS soon. But it is a rumor. Just as the further 750 workers laid off recently from different companies at YYZ is just a rumor.

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
From an article this evening at National Post: “Trudeau is set to announce the specifics of the new measures aimed at discouraging non-essential travel on Friday. Sources suggest they will include limiting the number of airports allowed to handle trans-border flights and a requirement that people landing in Canada quarantine in hotels at their own expense for 14 days.”
Just about time. There is still a good number of us who need to travel for work. We need to know the specifics, so we can plan accordingly. This "do not travel, further restrictions are coming" mantra repeated recently is not helpful. We can stay at home if it comes to it, but we need a reason to stay home that's acceptable for our customers. The mandatory hotel quarantine would be a bummer, but we can deal with it. For example, by staying away for several months. It sucks, but I've done it 2020, will do it in 2021 too.

Originally Posted by tcook052
From the article:

But there are no guarantees that these travel restrictions will be lifted once the bulk of the population receives the vaccine.

It'll become harder to justify these stringent restrictions if case rates plunge as the majority of Canadians are vaccinated by Fall.
As a matter of fact, the majority of Canadians doesn't have to be vaccinated to lift the restrictions. People in the 60+ age group account for 72% of hospitalizations, 67% of ICU patients and for 98% of fatalities. That's about 25% of Canada's population. Maintain the restrictions once this cohort is vaccinated would be counterproductive.

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Per Toronto Star article land borders will also soon have rapid covid tests at land ports of entry for those who fly to Buffalo/Detroit/Vermont/Seattle border towns and drive to Canada. No mention of 72-hour covid test requirement.
No objections as long as there will be proper staff to administer the tests.

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
By that time the public will be protected by herd immunity. There should be no reason not letting the antivaxers travel. However, I believe you're right and we're looking at vaccine passports. It could be as simple as a stamp in a regular passport.
LETTERBOY and Badenoch like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 9:02 am

I have to think Ford is privy to some of the discussions in Ottawa. That ON is going to spend money and effort on establishing a testing program indicates the feds don't plan to have one. In other words, they are going blunt and overbroad, with the main intention to shut this ******** down.
mikeycanuk and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
A few days ago it was reported in the press that this was the question which remained, with a part of Cabinet wanting hotel prison for everyone and another feeling that went too far but open to locking up those who tested positive.
My old country had a mandatory quarantine requirement ad government designated facilities for all arriving travelers in the spring. As it happened, many travelers got infected while staying there. Bad idea.
Now, having a place where to go if one is asymptomatic but tested positive upon arrival actually doesn't sound so bad.

Last edited by WildcatYXU; Jan 29, 2021 at 9:44 am
Old Jan 29, 2021, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Many news sources are now announcing a mandatory quarantine in hotels, even before the official announcement....
Old Jan 29, 2021, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
So it is a 3 days quarantine at hotels waiting for a PCR results of a test done at arrival.
However they are talking about something like 2000$ for 3 days at an airport hotel ?
Old Jan 29, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
So it is a 3 days quarantine at hotels waiting for a PCR results done at arrival.
However they are talking about something like 2000$ for 3 days ?
Yeah i think i only heard it in French - but not English. (the $2000 part)

Last edited by knotseh; Jan 29, 2021 at 9:50 am Reason: added clarify to the comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.