Reload this Page >

San Diego Hotels - Consolidated Questions & Recommendations Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego Hotels - Consolidated Questions & Recommendations Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:57 pm

Location: Currently a man without a country; American Airlines-3MM, Executive Platinum; US Airways-Doesn't Matter AAnymore; Hilton-Diamond; Starwood-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by brendamc
The Manchester Grand Hyatt is a good hotel in a fantastic location for sightseeing - ask for a harbor view room! You're smart to get out of the Mission Valley area - ugly!!
I second this...this is a great hotel, despite the fact that they don't participate in the FFN promotions (for redemption) but the location is excellent...you can easily drive out to Hotel Circle where the T&C is located and come back and enjoy a great Regency Club, walk to the Gaslight District for great food and music and walk the Embarcadero for a taste of San Diego...be sure to drop by Anthony's Grotto...that was my first "grown up" restaurant when I was growing up and we used to go to SD every summer to see my mother's family...kind of a glorified Red Lobster but back in the day...it was the bee's knees!
Old Aug 27, 2005, 12:09 am

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
I was in San Diego a little while back and stayed at the Ramada Inn & Suites and was exceptionally happy.

You're under 10 minutes drive from Hotel Circle and in quite a beautiful location.

I picked up a double room for $170 a night when I stayed over Xmas through Wotif. A double is $140-170 atm depending on the date.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I recently returned from San Diego, where I had Priceline stays at the Omni and at the Manchester Hyatt - both very nice, especially the Omni, where I was placed in a huge suite for my $96 bid

The Omni opened last year, and is next to Petco Park (a skybridge connects the hotel to the ball park). The Omni sits at the base of the Gaslamp District, and is across the street from the sothern end of the SD Convention Center (to give persepctive, the Manchester Hyatt is just north of the nothern end of the SD Convention Center). The Omni houses a branch of McCormick and Schmick's in its lobby.

The rooms at the Hyatt are small but well-equipped. Highspeed (wired) is $9.95 per day (wi-fi is free at the Omni).

Both hotels are within a block of a Trolley stop (orange line, transfer to the Blue Line to get ot Old Town, Mission Valley or Tijuiana if you don't feel kuje driving).
Old Oct 12, 2005, 1:25 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, LH Senator, UA Premier Executive, RG Diamante
Any recomendations on San Diego Starwood properties for a family of 4 (two kids under 12) ?
Old Oct 12, 2005, 3:00 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by rserson
Any recomendations on San Diego Starwood properties for a family of 4 (two kids under 12) ?
Hi rserson, there has been a lot of discussion of the San Diego Starwood hotels in the Starwood forum. There are a lot of threads on San Diego properties. Many have in depth reports on individual properties. If you don't find what you need already posted, I'm confident you'll get knowledgeable responses by posting there.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 3:21 pm
Suspended

I strongly recommend the Westin Horton Plaza on priceline. Take heed of the parking issues on www.tripadvisor.com but it's a great hotel, superb location for Gaslamp and shops, and those beds can't be beat....
Old Oct 12, 2005, 6:45 pm

Programs: NWA/DL
If you want to stay in a piece of history there is always the Hotel Del Coronado. Many movies were shot there including "Some Like it Hot" with Marilyn Monroe. It is a beautiful hotel, lobby and grounds, but I have not beem in a room before. It's at least worth a visit while you were there.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kapitman
If you want to stay in a piece of history there is always the Hotel Del Coronado. Many movies were shot there including "Some Like it Hot" with Marilyn Monroe. It is a beautiful hotel, lobby and grounds, but I have not beem in a room before. It's at least worth a visit while you were there.
Stayed there this week. You are right about the common areas, which are beautiful, and it has all the trappings of a resort. However, I would still grade the property 3.5 stars - they miss on many little details, and despite a relatively recent renovation, there are things like peeling wallpaper and the like which could - and should - be taken care of. Lastly, like may hotels of its size, there are all kinds of functions daily...meaning staff setting up tables chairs, etc., and this was somewhat intrusive. They have also begun some construction on the beach side. My conclusion on The Del - go for the history and a "nice enough" property on the beach.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
If you want to stay in a piece of history there is always the Hotel Del Coronado. Many movies were shot there including "Some Like it Hot" with Marilyn Monroe.
One of the others is a great, underrated film named "The Stunt Man" with arguably Peter O'Toole's career performance (yes, better than L of A). The hotel buildngs and grounds are almost a character in themselves. Well worth watching/renting.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Nov 2, 2005 at 4:31 am Reason: Correct typo
Old Nov 1, 2005, 2:10 pm

Reply to conference at the Town & Country

I live in San Diego and know the city well. I recomend that you stay 15 minutes away in La Jolla at the Grande Colonial Hotel. This is a beautifully renovated historical building. La Jolla is part of San Diego, but has a village atmoshpere (it is one of the most desirable parts of the city and probably the best place to be based out of on vacation-lots of things to do such as shopping, restaurants, sight-seeing). The location can't be beat (the main intersection in La Jolla). The Grande Colonial has great ocean views and a very sophistocated and hip restaurant (Restaurant 910). My office was in the neighborhood and I would frequently go by and use the free WiFi. Also many friends have stayed at the hotel. The beds are great and the service is top notch, understated - not over the top. The hotel has about 100 rooms. The rates are very reasonable for the location and quality.

Originally Posted by cytoguy
Hi FTers,

I have a conference at the Town & Country resort in November, and am looking for hotel suggestions. The conference rate for the T&C is $169/night, but most of the reviews that I've read seem to be mixed. So, I figured that my hotel dollars could be better spent elsewhere. I've never been to San Diego, and it sounds like the Mission Valley/Hotel Circle area isn't very desirable in general. So, I figured I'd seek the advice of the FT experts regarding a place to stay...

We will be renting a car, so I would prefer to stay in a nice hotel in a good location. From what I've read it seems like the Downtown and Coastal zones seem like the best bets, but I'm not sure how far away from the T&C they will be. FYI, I usually get rooms via Priceline, so any suggestions on which areas to bid and which ones to steer clear from would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Cheers,

Rob
Old Nov 1, 2005, 2:13 pm

Del is going under renovation

I hear, but have not verrified that the Del Coronado is undergoing renovations and is currently to be avoided. Again I don't know if this is true.

Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:48 pm

Any thoughts on the SD Marriott Hotel and Marina? I believe it's next to the convention center. I'll be at a convention later this year, and am looking for a nice hotel.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by feferman
I hear, but have not verrified that the Del Coronado is undergoing renovations and is currently to be avoided. Again I don't know if this is true.
That would explain the cheap rates (under $129) I'm seeing in the Travel sections. You normally can't touch that place for under $200.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 7:15 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Pluto's Pup
Any thoughts on the SD Marriott Hotel and Marina? I believe it's next to the convention center. I'll be at a convention later this year, and am looking for a nice hotel.
Do a search of the Marriott forum, and if there isn't sufficient information, post a quesiton there. The location is great, easy walk to the Convention Center, the Gaslamp Quarter, and Seaport Village, with a great view over the harbor.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 7:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestion!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.