Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego Hotels - Consolidated Questions & Recommendations Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by phillipsmark5
I am a media student and I need to submit a project on the night life of San Diego. I am looking for a place to stay in San Diego. Due to the upcoming festive season I need to book the room in advance. Can anyone suggest me a good hotel that suits my budget and it must be close to the night-out venues? Guys, I am looking forward to your suggestions.

What is your spending limit?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Liberty Station, San Diego - good hotel venue?

Hi,

I'm going to be in San Diego with my kids and my parents later in the year. We'll have a car and want to hit the likes of Sea World, the Zoo, maybe the beach etc. Nightlife won't be an issue, but maybe being able to walk to a restaurant would be nice in the evening,

I saw the Liberty Station development and thought we could get a couple of suites at the Homewood. This gives us a sensible amount of room for the kids and is a reasonable price - anyone have any thoughts on this? Could we do better elsewhere etc?

Thanks

Tony
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:34 am
Community Director Emerita

LLM stayed there when a large fire forced her from her home. She spoke well of it, though in that context.

I know the area but not the hotel. It seems to me that it would be a good location to be able to drive to the places you mention, as well as Cabrillo National Monument at the tip of Point Loma. You get a stunning view of San Diego from there. (The hotel is part way out the peninsula.)

There are lots of moderately priced restaurants in the area, including highly regarding Phil's BBQ.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
i stayed there last year for a few days for convention stuff downtown. it was an easy drive and actually nice for once to be out of the downtown madness. i recall a number of walkable dining options.

the area is quiet but there are some interesting walks along the water.

the kids will probably enjoy it and i recall access was good and prices even better. plus the homewood was virtually brand new which appealed to me.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
There are a number of fast food and other dining restaurants all within the Liberty Station area - most within walking distance. Phils BBQ is actually on Sports Arena Blvd - maybe a 7-10 minute drive. Your hotel would be nicely located and pretty central to the beaches (Ocean Beach), Sea World and the SD Zoo at Balboa Park.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:56 pm
rje

Programs: Marriott Gold,United Silver,Delta Silver,Hhonors Diamond., SPG platinum, Priority Club Plat.
Stayed at HS Liberty Station on 1/23 prior to a cruise. Great staff, excellent location and new. As others have noted several restaurants nearby(walking distance). Trip advisor ranks it #1 in S.D. Definitely recommend it!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold, National EE
Highly recommend the HS! Lots of grassy areas for the kids to play, and a park with swings, slide and a climbing wall is a few minutes' walk.

There's an observation point on the top floor which offers a lovely view.

Point Loma Seafood is fantastic, and there's a Trader Joe's right up the street for snacks, and a Cold Stone next door to TJ's for ice cream.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Homewood Suites is a good choice.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 5:36 pm

Swiss Tony,

Here's the official webpage for that location:

Link:
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UAL 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, SPG Platinum, DL MM
Da Kines has great Hawaiian food in Liberty Station

Great for Hawaiian food and right in Liberty Station. Very easy 4 min walk from HS.
Old May 31, 2009, 11:21 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I also reccomend Oggi's Pizza, good pizza and great beer which they brew themselves very close to HS

sdcarver
Old May 1, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Hotel recommendations for San Diego

We're off to San Diego this summer for a few days. Family of 4 with two girls, 10 and 8. I'm a bit stumped for where to stay though - never been there before.

As a starting point, the kids love both the "cool" of a W, and the big grand-style hotels (eg the Sheraton in Union Sq San Fran). We'll have a car so moving around won't be too much of an issue. We'd prefer to be within walking distance of places to eat out in the evenings, but not somewhere that's too noisey at nights (easy!)

TIA.
Old May 1, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
There is a place we've stayed at with kids that is just great but it doesn't get much publicity because it is not part of a major chain. It's called Humprey's Half Moon Inn on Shelter Island. It is next to a marina near the airport and very convenient.

You can often get a big discount there with the Entertainment Book. Check it out -

http://www.halfmooninn.com/
Old May 1, 2010, 11:17 am

The 'W' in San Diego is nice. Just around the corner is the Westin; also nice.

There is also a Westin at Horton Plaza (not as nice as the other, IMO) which has a large shopping mall attached to it as well as a number of restaurants.

The Marriott Hotel & Marina is right on the bay and, despite being very large, has very nice pool areas that the girls would probably enjoy.

The Marriott Gaslamp is my favorite hotel in DT SD. An outdoor bar on the top floor that looks down into Petco Field. (You can actually follow the ball game pretty well from there.) It is located in the middle of the Gaslamp District so it can get a bit loud/active at times.

All of these hotels are DT and you can grab the Redcar Trolley and ride the DT loop for easy transportation around the area.

In North County I've enjoyed the Sheraton La Jolla (not in La Jolla proper but plenty of kid friendly restaurants close by and a short drive to the beach; nice pool area).

In DT La Jolla I really enjoy the Grande Colonial. Also, La Valencia is another beautiful older hotel just a couple of blocks away.

DT La Jolla is easily walkable for restaurants, shopping, galleries and walk over to La Jolla Cove for a nice swimming area for the girls and a closeup view of the seals sunning themselves on the rocks.

In general, San Diego is pretty easy to get around by car. You'll have lots of nice places to stay but won't be too far from most of the attractions you want to visit.
Old May 1, 2010, 12:01 pm
Community Director Emerita

Hyatt Mission Bay in the marina adjacent to Sea World is lovely, with great views across the bay to the ocean. It's getting lots of great press in the Hyatt forum. It doesn't meet your criteria of restaurants in walking distance, though. Other than the hotel restaurant, the only place in walking distance is a simple fish and chips shop. However, there are plenty of places in nearby Pacific Beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.