Reload this Page >

San Diego Hotels - Consolidated Questions & Recommendations Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego Hotels - Consolidated Questions & Recommendations Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Originally Posted by JeremyS1973:18519272
The Westgate is very tired from a decor standpoint. It is like entering a time machine and going to a luxury hotel from the 1970's (or visiting your great Aunt Hattie, the maiden one that lives in the old family house). The US Grant is by far the nicest luxury hotel in Downtown right now, but doesn't have the water views the OP says he is looking for. I think the Hotel Palomar is also a pretty nice luxury hotel, nicer than the Grand Hyatt, Marriott Marquis or Hilton Bayfront, but again doesn't have the views, so there are always tradeoffs. If I was in my early 30's, the Palomar, Hard Rock or Solamar might be my first picks. If I was in my 50's, the US Grant, in between those ages, the other places mentioned.
Im only 25, I can get any hotel I want with delta miles (I have a lot), therefore, since its a vacation, id like the nicest, with a water view, but age appropriate, rightfully so. Nice, yes, classy, no. (I respect classy, like the u.s. grant, but jeremys1973 is right, not at my age)
Old May 6, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
Originally Posted by mendel k
Im only 25, I can get any hotel I want with delta miles (I have a lot), therefore, since its a vacation, id like the nicest, with a water view, but age appropriate, rightfully so. Nice, yes, classy, no. (I respect classy, like the u.s. grant, but jeremys1973 is right, not at my age)
At 25 I would look at the Tower23 or Pacific Terrace Hotel in Pacific Beach. Pacific Beach is a younger more casual crowd than the Gaslamp. If you want the Gaslamp, I'd skip the water views for the vibe of the Hard Rock Hotel, Andaz, Palomar or Solamar. They have younger, hipper crowds and clubs or rooftop bars inside them.
Old May 6, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Originally Posted by JeremyS1973:18525569
At 25 I would look at the Tower23 or Pacific Terrace Hotel in Pacific Beach. Pacific Beach is a younger more casual crowd than the Gaslamp. If you want the Gaslamp, I'd skip the water views for the vibe of the Hard Rock Hotel, Andaz, Palomar or Solamar. They have younger, hipper crowds and clubs or rooftop bars inside them.
Thanks, Im not a nightlife kind of guy, so clubs and bars don't interest me. Ritzy places, like the us grant, aren't for me either, I don't want to feel awkward in shorts and a t-shirt. Pacific beach sounds great, especially because its not that far from the attractions I want to see. Carlsbad seems awesome, but I don't want to have to drive a lot every day just to get anywhere
Old May 9, 2012, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by mendel k
Impressive if Delta miles can get you any hotel in SD, and on the dates you want. We stayed at both the Grand Hyatt and the Omni during a conference my wife attended. The Hyatt was a tad closer to the water, but more marina than beach. Big. Two pools. The Omni seemed a bit newer, smaller, right nest to Petco Park (even had a special walkway to the ball park; not sure about noie from the game, but it wouldn't go late). For either hotel, or any hotel around there, I'd get a room not facing the trolley/light rail tracks, to avoid noise. The Hard Rock Hotel is in a good locagtin (again, avoid the tracks), but not sure it'd be deemed classy. We liked the appearance of the US Grant, and it is near lots of restaurants and stores, but further from the water.

Will you have a car? I gather you will. Parking rates can be high in the downtown/Gaslamp area. Public transportation is decent, to main sites, though not always quick. From the area of teh Hyatt, etc., you could get to the zoo by a combination of light rail and bus. I took light rail and bus all the way to the UCD/Scripps aquarium in La Jolla, but it was a long haul.
Old May 10, 2012, 2:12 am

Programs: HH Dia, Avis First, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AS
Nicest hotel san diego

I'll reiterate staying away from the rail tracks. I stayed at the Holiday Inn bay front last year with a city view. The train noise kept me up almost all night.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:40 pm

Does anyone know the Indigo at San Diego? Hows that one? Nice? Not so nice?
Old May 31, 2012, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by blueeagle3
Does anyone know the Indigo at San Diego? Hows that one? Nice? Not so nice?
The Hotel Indigo is great, by far the nicest ICH hotel in the area. It is close to Petco Park on the East Village side of Downtown, but just a few blocks from the Gaslamp.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:16 pm

Thank you for the quick reply! So thats the one i will stay at! Out of interest: I've never heard of Indigo before, thats nothing common in Germany, is it?
Old May 31, 2012, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by blueeagle3
Thank you for the quick reply! So thats the one i will stay at! Out of interest: I've never heard of Indigo before, thats nothing common in Germany, is it?
Hotel Indigo is a brand of Intercontinental Hotel Group who does Holiday Inns, Intercontinental Hotel, etc. The Indigo is trying to be their "hip business" brand to compete with Starwoods W brand, Hilton's Conrad and Marriott's EDITION.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:04 am

Thanks for the Info! Didn't know anything about that brand. But i'll try it..
Old Jun 5, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
All the hotels mentioned are great, I stay regularly between the Hilton Bayfront, Hyatt and the Marriott Marina and the Embassy Suites. BUT these have great water views but if you are thinking of it as a hotel on the beach that is not so with these hotels.
You can see the water, but can't walk down and hop in for a swim.

If you want a hotel for that, you should look at Coronado or the Shores up in La Jolla or search for hotels specifically with beach access.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:35 pm

San Diego where to stay

I am considering a trip to San Diego 6/19-6/23 for me and my spouse. I am primarily looking to hang out at the beaches, although I am sure we will also do plenty of siteseeing. So far from looking around it seems like staying in Mission Beach area might be best if I am looking to beach bum, please correct me if I am wrong. I am looking to stay with points if possible, so basically looking for suggestions for hotels using points. I am open to different programs but prefer IHG or SPG since I have the most points there. I don't need a real fancy hotel really, but not looking for a Motel 6 either. Walking distance from beach would be a huge plus.

Suggestions for things to do are also welcome.

Thanks. ^
Old May 23, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I'd recommend the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay. Great property, right on the marina, short walk to Mission Beach. It is a bit far from downtown and the Gaslamp, but there is a city bus that runs to the Old Town trolley station that stops right in front of the hotel.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
I don't want to be a downer, but June is probably the worst month to visit San Diego if you want to spend time at the beach. We usually have a marine layer called, June Gloom. I live at the beach and some years we didn't see the sun for the whole month (at the coast. )

With the weird weather that may be a thing of the past. We're in our May Grey phase but the marine layer has been burning off by noon.

Nonetheless, the beaches are still great. DITTO the suggestion for Mission Bay. For a SPG property, the Sheraton Marina might also be a good choice.
Old May 28, 2014, 1:11 pm

Hmm, maybe I will look at Hawaii Instead... thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.