San Diego Hotels - Consolidated Questions & Recommendations Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego Hotels - Consolidated Questions & Recommendations Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
I agree with everyone else. The hotels on the bay tend to be a bit nicer than those directly on the beach, and it's a super short walk. And while yes, it's been nice lately, the weather here can turn quickly (especially in June). The marine layer is definitley strange. It will be sunny and hot everywhere except for about a mile directly over the beach. It's almost like a wall of clouds! Go for Hawaii.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
hotel recommendation in SAN near green line (Little Italy/Old Town)

I need to find a hotel in SAN as close as possible to a green line stop. I prefer Old Town or Little Italy area but would go downtown for a decent property. I'm looking for some first-hand experience based recommendations.

I need somewhere quiet, with decent wi-fi, and definitely no more than 5 blocks from the green line. It has to be under $150 a night before taxes and preferably closer to $125.

Does anyone have experience with the DoubleTree in Little Italy -- on Front Street? This is my company's "preferred property" but the various online reviews are mixed and it's every bit of 6 blocks from the Little Italy station.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:45 pm

My boss has stayed there a couple times. No specific complaints that I can recall. There's a Hampton closer to green line station, I believe, but no Intel on the quality.

Only other place my colleagues have stayed is the Sophia on Broadway, which is near C st and Santa fe station for trolley. Good experiences. Believe its in your price range, but search multiple sites to get the right price.

Let me know what u end up doing... I'd appreciate the Intel! Good luck!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:01 pm

How about the Hampton Inn? Though it can get a little noisy from some rooms
the Green Line runs right behind the hotel and should fit your budget.

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...THX/index.html
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks guys. I ended up booking La Pensione hotel in Little Italy. I've been meaning to try some of the boutique hotels so this is my chance.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:41 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Thanks guys. I ended up booking La Pensione hotel in Little Italy. I've been meaning to try some of the boutique hotels so this is my chance.
Give us some feedback, please. It's been years since I was intrigued by Fodor's #1 Budget Hotel award to La Pensione. I walked thru it to assess it for guests. At the time, it had no air conditioning but that shouldn't be an issue to you this time of year. I believe that the rooms are quite small, thus its ability to achieve its low price point. You might want to check the room square footage to be sure it isn't too small. I don't remember it even having desks. When I toured it, it had a lot of independent European travelers staying there. I love the location in the heart of Little Italy with all its good restaurants and coffee shops.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Give us some feedback, please. It's been years since I was intrigued by Fodor's #1 Budget Hotel award to La Pensione. I walked thru it to assess it for guests. At the time, it had no air conditioning but that shouldn't be an issue to you this time of year. I believe that the rooms are quite small, thus its ability to achieve its low price point. You might want to check the room square footage to be sure it isn't too small. I don't remember it even having desks. When I toured it, it had a lot of independent European travelers staying there. I love the location in the heart of Little Italy with all its good restaurants and coffee shops.
Will do on the follow up. For this trip I will not be spending much time in the room, I am attending a conference at the Town & Country hotel which runs 7am-7pm daily. So I am not too concerned about room size. The T&C was already sold out and I hate that hotel anyways, the other options within walking distance are not desirable, and I prefer to be able to "get away" after the conference each day to a nice restaurant.

The other one I considered was the Best Western Hacienda in Old Town. Maybe next year depending on how this trip goes.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
A colleague stayed there. I heard the same: very small rooms. If you truly only need the bed, you should be ok. Great location. Let us know.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sorry for the delayed follow up.

yes, the room was very small and sort of an awkward layout with the sink right inside the room door and no closet. however, for my purposes it was fine. i think the price was a little high for what it was, i paid $129 a night. generally speaking it was quiet. next time i would spend a little more for a bigger room, but to be honest i spent almost no time in the room except to sleep/bathe -- just as i was expecting on this trip. so size wasn't that big a deal. FWIW, the hotel does have AC now -- individual mitsubishi self contained wall units (remote controlled).

this place really is all about location. right at the front step of little italy and 2 blocks from the green line stop. i really enjoyed the neighborhood, my first stay in this area of SD -- usually i stay on the north side of the gaslamp near broadway. for the two nights before i checked into La Pensione I stayed at the Palomar. i was upgraded to a suite due to my Kimpton membership and paid only $143 a night. a much better deal.

my takeaway is that i'd love to stay in Little Italy again, the neighborhood is wonderful and convenient. next time i might try the Porto Vista Hotel as a comparison property.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thanks for the follow up. It sounds overpriced for what it is. Then, again, location, location, location. It has it in spades.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
San Diego - Hillcrest hotels?

Hi - I'm going to be going to SD for a conference right before Memorial Day, and I'm planning on spending the weekend in SD to hang out.

I'm not a *huge* SD fan, to be honest, but given we've had such a bad winter in the NE I'm kind of looking forward to running by the beach, eating tacos, and generally hanging out. I'd like to stay in Hillcrest (i.e., the gayborhood) and was wondering if anyone knew of any decent hotels.

The only one I'm finding (via Google, Expedia, etc.) that's actually in the neighborhood is the oddly spelled Sommerset Suites. It looks fine, but does anyone have firsthand experience with it? Are there any other places I should be looking at?

I'd rather stay in the neighborhood for easy walking to bars/restaurants, etc. I've done the walk from Hotel Circle before - meh.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:10 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
<snip>

I'd rather stay in the neighborhood for easy walking to bars/restaurants, etc. I've done the walk from Hotel Circle before - meh.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Stay away from Hotel Circle; it's the worst.

If you can't find a place in the Hillcrest area, I recommend checking out the Gaslamp Quarter.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by TWA884
Stay away from Hotel Circle; it's the worst.

If you can't find a place in the Hillcrest area, I recommend checking out the Gaslamp Quarter.
Thanks - The Gaslamp area is definitely pretty, but I'd like to avoid staying there if possible. It's a bit farther than I'd like to be from Hillcrest, plus it's sort of where all the bros and military people come to party, no? It just strikes me as rather over-touristy and generic - Hard Rock, sports bars, drunk guys in baseball caps, etc.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Thanks - The Gaslamp area is definitely pretty, but I'd like to avoid staying there if possible. It's a bit farther than I'd like to be from Hillcrest, plus it's sort of where all the bros and military people come to party, no? It just strikes me as rather over-touristy and generic - Hard Rock, sports bars, drunk guys in baseball caps, etc.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:30 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Have you considered a Bed and Breakfast?

This one is located in the Hillcrest area and has good reviews:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.