Reload this Page >

San Diego Hotels - Consolidated Questions & Recommendations Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego Hotels - Consolidated Questions & Recommendations Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:57 am

Here are the 3 I am between and wonder if anybody has any thoughts. I will have an almost 2 year old with me and my wife. We generally stay in luxury hotels, so we are used to a high standard, but we do so in countries where hotels tend to be a bit more affordable. We will have a car.
San Diego IC - Corner Room. I'm IC Ambassador so possible I get upgrade (in which case it's a suite) but the hotel will only say in advance that it might not happen and they seem to be primarily banking on giving me the 20k points for not upgrading me.

$200 less than IC - Hotel Republic in a Jr. Suite I suppose it's technically possible they upgrade me to the full suite as a Gold, but highly unlikely since it's $1500 more per night. The room I have booked is about the same size as the one I have booked at the IC.

Also $200 less than IC - Kona Kai in a Jr. Suite Marina View - may get upgraded bc it is through AmEx Hotel Collection
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
Here are the 3 I am between and wonder if anybody has any thoughts. I will have an almost 2 year old with me and my wife. We generally stay in luxury hotels, so we are used to a high standard, but we do so in countries where hotels tend to be a bit more affordable. We will have a car.
San Diego IC - Corner Room. I'm IC Ambassador so possible I get upgrade (in which case it's a suite) but the hotel will only say in advance that it might not happen and they seem to be primarily banking on giving me the 20k points for not upgrading me.

$200 less than IC - Hotel Republic in a Jr. Suite I suppose it's technically possible they upgrade me to the full suite as a Gold, but highly unlikely since it's $1500 more per night. The room I have booked is about the same size as the one I have booked at the IC.

Also $200 less than IC - Kona Kai in a Jr. Suite Marina View - may get upgraded bc it is through AmEx Hotel Collection

what do you plan on doing in San Diego?

When I’ve gone to San Diego I’ve done a few hotels ( Wyndham bay side, best western PN, a another in that same area). They are in the same area as the first two you listed. These are close to the light rail system and little Italy. I got around without a car. I don’t recall how accessible the zoo is to light rail station. The airport isn’t all that light rail friendly. The cab was around $20 or so to that area from the airport and the bayside had a shuttle service.

Kona Kai could be a real PITA depending on what you plan to do. It’s not near light rail forcing you to drive and park.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
what do you plan on doing in San Diego?

When I’ve gone to San Diego I’ve done a few hotels ( Wyndham bay side, best western PN, a another in that same area). They are in the same area as the first two you listed. These are close to the light rail system and little Italy. I got around without a car. I don’t recall how accessible the zoo is to light rail station. The airport isn’t all that light rail friendly. The cab was around $20 or so to that area from the airport and the bayside had a shuttle service.

Kona Kai could be a real PITA depending on what you plan to do. It’s not near light rail forcing you to drive and park.
So I'm definitely going to have a car because part of what we're going to do is go to the Safari Park, but other than that we'll probably go to the zoo and meet up with my cousin who lives in LA and her small children/family. Other than that, if there's any good food that I can take a 2 year old to (a well behaved 2 but still 2), we're always interested in that, and somewhere that will feel like a restful space.

Last edited by flyerfirsts; Aug 2, 2022 at 6:21 pm
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
The poster you’re replying to said they’ll have a car, but for the record, neither the zoo nor the airport are accessible by light rail.

The zoo can be reached by two bus routes, 7 and Rapid 215. Parking at the zoo is free. The San Diego Zoo Safari Park is not reachable via public transit and charges for parking.

The airport is served by the 992 bus from downtown. The airport also operates a free “Flyer” shuttle bus from the Old Town Transit Center (which is served by several bus routes, Blue and Green line trolleys, Amtrak, and Coaster). In addition, from the Middletown trolley station (Blue and Green lines), you can walk across Pacific Highway and pick up a rental car shuttle bus to the airport, though with 992 from downtown and The Flyer from Old Town, the appeal of this option seems limited.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
So I'm definitely going to have a car because part of what we're going to do is go to the Safari Park, but other than that we'll probably go to the zoo and meet up with my cousin who lives in LA and her small children/family. Other than that, if there's any good food that I can take a 2 year old to (a well behaved 2 but still 2), we're always interested in that, and somewhere that will feel like a restful space.
if you are flying into San Diego you could wait to get the car when you need it

fly in
do 2 days in downtown San Diego Diego avoiding high parking fees.
then get car and do zoo and other car driving to LA.
im unsure post Covid what transportation therr is from light rail to zoo.
San Diego also has legoland

last time I was in San Diego was pre Covid. Restaurant have gotten hammered all over the country. Little Italy should have places. The area gets farmers markets on weekends.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 2:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
looking for Marriott hotel with shuttle to SAN

Might need to spend Sat, Sep 9th at hotel near SAN. We would need shuttle to SAN Sun. Morning. Have free night with card for cat 1-4 with marriott. Anyone aware of one? How to find? Or just a reasonably priced hotel with airport shuttle to spend night an alternative. WE in gated community, early flight, access difficult at likely pick up time at home.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 3:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Looking for advice on a hotel and whether I really need a car (vs our pref of public trans) for a Christmas trip to San Diego with a young child. Prefer Chase LHC for the 10x UR points and I have ~50K Bonvoy points to burn, but I can be easily convinced to book any brand that meets our needs. We're big fans of breakfast, and we place no premium on views--we'll be out all day at the zoo, aquarium, safari park, and museums and return after dinner. We will not be going to the Holiday Bowl--does that turn the city upside down in the week leading up to it? I'm a light sleeper, so away from civilian and military flight paths--if that's even possible in San Diego--would be highly preferred.

TIA
Old Sep 14, 2023, 3:05 pm

Advice on San Diego area hotel

We are planning on five nights in San Diego in early November mostly to relax and hang out and see some sights. Two middle aged people not bringing any kids. Narrowed down hotels to two choices and want advice from anyone who has stayed there: Catamaran Resort vs. Hyatt Regency La Jolla. I chose these two based on good deals available to us and fairly good reviews. Any input would be appreciated
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Looking for advice on a hotel and whether I really need a car (vs our pref of public trans) for a Christmas trip to San Diego with a young child. Prefer Chase LHC for the 10x UR points and I have ~50K Bonvoy points to burn, but I can be easily convinced to book any brand that meets our needs. We're big fans of breakfast, and we place no premium on views--we'll be out all day at the zoo, aquarium, safari park, and museums and return after dinner. We will not be going to the Holiday Bowl--does that turn the city upside down in the week leading up to it? I'm a light sleeper, so away from civilian and military flight paths--if that's even possible in San Diego--would be highly preferred.

TIA
Debating between US Grant and AirBnB, with the latter being much $$$$. Any recent stays at the former?
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Debating between US Grant and AirBnB, with the latter being much $$$$. Any recent stays at the former?
I didn't stay at the Grant but I did look into it. Note that the lesser rooms are quite small and the area gets sketchy at night.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 11:49 pm

I didn't stay at the Grant but I did look into it. Note that the lesser rooms are quite small and the area gets sketchy at night.
But isn't that San Diego downtown in general now?
SPN Lifer and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
We are planning on five nights in San Diego in early November mostly to relax and hang out and see some sights. Two middle aged people not bringing any kids. Narrowed down hotels to two choices and want advice from anyone who has stayed there: Catamaran Resort vs. Hyatt Regency La Jolla. I chose these two based on good deals available to us and fairly good reviews. Any input would be appreciated
Will you have a car? Pacific beach area + mission bay are very walkable and not too far from the airport. La Jolla is about 20-25 min by car or 1 hour by transit. Not much within walking distance of the Hyatt it’s all apartments but close to UTC mall and then about 10 min from the LJ beaches (both by car)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.