Reload this Page >

San Diego Hotels - Consolidated Questions & Recommendations Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego Hotels - Consolidated Questions & Recommendations Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:47 pm

The Lowes is pretty isolated as it's partway down the Silver Strand, a thin strip of land on the west side of San Diego Bay, connecting Coronado to Imperial Beach. I doubt the ferry from Downtown San Diego would help you, so you'll probably need a rental car no matter where you end up.

As noted, the Hotel del Coronado and Marriott Coronado Island are only other major hotels in Coronado. You might try the Pier South Resort in Imperial Beach, which is part of Marriott's Autograph Collection. Other than that, there's mostly motels and lower end places in Imperial Beach/Chula Vista.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks a lot for the responses!^

The Marriott sounds like a semi-convenient option, albeit overpriced for what it is.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Get a car and then park at Silver Strand

Having not being able to afford the Loews back when I was a grad student also for a conference, I'd find a cheaper place to stay on the San Diego side with free parking and then drive over the bridge and park across the street at the beach. A bit more walking but a lot more flexibility.

I've stayed at the Marriott Coronado more recently (about a year ago) and, even as a Platinum, really don't recommend it. Overpriced rooms, limited (also not free) parking options, no real benefits as a Platinum, and really, really old furnishings made this a miserable stay.

Any place in downtown/gaslamp, hotel parking is going to be starting at $30 but you'll be in the heart of the town. The Loews is literally nowhere and, without a car, you're stuck there.

David
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I spotted this thread a few weeks after you started it so I hope my response is still helpful.

Last time I attended a conference at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort I booked a hotel in downtown San Diego because it was much cheaper. Many of my colleagues asked, "Why so far away?" Look at a map of the area and you will see that Coronado is a small island, and the hotel is on a very narrow part of it. There are very few choices unless you accept a 30 minute commute. I did, and found that the drive between downtown San Diego and the conference site was not that bad. Plus, the weather was poor at the beach at night (stiff winds and chilly air) so I had the last laugh at everyone who thought I was foolish for shunning the isolated "resort" in favor of a walkable downtown location next to restaurants, clubs, etc.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: DL PM
San Diego "Convention" Hotels - any luxury?

I've looked through the archives of the "Luxury Hotel" forum for San Diego recommendations, but was hoping for some up-to-date info to guide our selection for two upcoming conferences, where we need to stay in one of these options with other attendees. I know some of these aren't true "luxury", but I'm looking for as close as possible with a place known for great service and room quality. The US Grant was positively regarded in the archive posts, but assuming San Diego pools stay open past Labor Day, then its lack of a pool crosses it off our list as I planned to get some work done poolside in between events.

1. The first conference is in Mission Valley at the Doubletree, based on my search I don't see anything walkable close by to steer us away from staying there.

2. The second conference is in another area where we have the following attendee options:

- Hilton Gaslamp Quarter
- Hilton Bayfront
- Omni
- Manchester Grand Hyatt
- Pendry
- Westin Gaslamp
- US Grant

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by umbrella007; Jul 24, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:54 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as I know, there are no true luxury hotels in San Diego (and I am including La Jolla in that as well). So I am going to move this thread to the California forum where it could get a more complete answer.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:11 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
As far as I know, there are no true luxury hotels in San Diego (and I am including La Jolla in that as well). So I am going to move this thread to the California forum where it could get a more complete answer.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
Where it's been merged into the Consolidated "San Diego Hotels -- Questions & Recommendations" thread.

TWA884
Moderator, California
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:00 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by umbrella007

2. The second conference is in another area where we have the following attendee options:

- Hilton Gaslamp Quarter
- Hilton Bayfront
- Omni
- Manchester Grand Hyatt
- Pendry
- Westin Gaslamp
- US Grant

Thanks for any insight.
I have not stayed there but the Pendry has great buzz. I would research that further if I were you.
umbrella007 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:01 pm

My parents have stayed at the Hilton Bayfront, Manchester Grand Hyatt, and Westin Gaslamp. They all seemed fine. Of the three the Hyatt was probably the most “luxurious”. You didn’t state where the other conference is but if it’s at the convention center, the Hilton Bayfront and Hyatt are closest at opposite sides of the convention center (the Marriott Marquis is between the Hyatt and the convention center).
umbrella007 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
We stayed at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter about a year and a half ago. It's a pretty standard business hotel which is attached to a dying mall. It is perfectly acceptable and the rooms are comfortable, however, is it nowhere near my idea of luxurious.

Years ago, we stayed at the Westgate Hotel. It was truly luxurious in those days, elegant public spaces, spacious comfortable rooms, bathrooms with separate tubs and large marble showers, and top quality high thread count bed linens; however, I have no idea how it stood the test of time.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
Best San Diego Hotel for views, close to Petco Park

Hi,

Looking for the best hotel with water views, walking distance to Petco Park.
Wife likes Grand Hyatt from what she's seen on TV.
We've stayed at Westin before, and liked it.
Going to use points. So anything that is SPG/Marriott/Ritz (including the US Grant), Hyatt, Fairmont, or Hilton families.
Just the two of us, so kid-friendly not necessary.
This would be early April 2019.

Thank you!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:14 pm

First option that comes to mind is the Hilton Bayfront. It’s right on the water and there’s a pedestrian bridge over Pacific Hwy and the railroad tracks that brings you right to Petco Park. I once parked at the Hilton for a Padres game.

Pretty much anything downtown is within a reasonable walk to Petco, but water views might be limited from many downtown hotels. The other options that come to mind that for sure have views are the Manchester Gand Hyatt and the Marriott Marquis. They’re both on the waterfront as well, on the opposite side of the convention center from the Hilton.

Whenever you decide, I’d suggest specifically reserving a water/bay view room if it’s being offered separately, and if not, contact the hotel directly to request one ahead of time.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
The Omni is attached to Petco Park with skybridges. The Marriott is across and up the street from the stadium and gives you a view from behind left field. The Omni will give you the best access to both a water view on an upper floor as well as access to Petco.

The Hilton Bayshore is on the marina and gives you little or no view into the stadium. And you have a quarter mile walk to the stadium.

The Manchester Grand Hyatt is probably on the order of 0.75 miles/1.3 km away from Petco Park is nowhere close to providing any view into the stadium. The Marriott Marquis is one hotel south of the Manchester but it too has no view to stadium but both have good views to the bay.

Also, with any room that faces west toward the bay and Coronado, it will see a great deal of afternoon sunshine and solar heating .

David

Last edited by DELee; Aug 26, 2018 at 10:05 am
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Are there any hotels that are an easy walk to SAN? I have a 9pm arrival and a 7am departure so won’t have a chance to do much. But I do like to walk to and from the airport if possible. Which hotels would be the easiest/safest walk?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
The closest to the airpot is probably the Sheraton on Harbor Island across the street. The Courtyard Marriott, Hilton Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn and Marriott TownePlace Suites are all super close too (no more than a mile) and located on the edge of Liberty Station. All are fairly new, so they are nice. There are a few places to grab some food or drinks there, or you can walk/take a short cab to the center of Liberty Station for more (and better) choices - though you may want to check hours before you go. Little Italy and downtown are within a few miles too, so you can easily take a cheap cab if you want to find something open.
cmx and Finkface like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.