Search

Some people have no manners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2009, 2:08 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by voracious violinist
... sharing the shame printer ...
Originally Posted by voracious violinist
Hmm I think the 3/4 bottle of AtoZ Oregon white last night is taking effect...
so do we
Old Aug 11, 2009, 4:42 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by onobond
Bringing some peace negotiations to the table, I'll compliment you both on beeing right. Going up a flight of stairs, the man walks first, for discretion as tjisseh states. Going down, however, you are right. The man walks first, for security reasons. Also the risk of observing the occasional ankle sustantially lower.

What really caught my eye was the referral to your education. My first association to Swish was some sort of fast track, But us less educated need to learn, so I consulted Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swish

but wasn't sure I'd been enlightened - basket ball?

I wonder if PUCCI was maybe referring to a "Swiss" finishing school. Something like this.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by bullroot
Imagine the shock, horror, and pain to humanity if the poor guy had dared to open the blind on his window mid-flight.
Don't get me started!
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by luxury_travel
Although I can understand the frustration from the OP observation if he was waiting for the printer to be free, however, if this guy were purposely wasting resources where available at the cost of somebody else, it would be a complete different matter. But as long as the food wasn’t wasted and the printed material didn’t ended up in the bin, then it’s up to the individual how much to eat and how many to print.
I've come to this party rather late but I agree. If you genuinely need or want what you take and then consume it, that's fine. Many times I have seen people take a few bacon rolls from the counter, then eat the bacon and leave all the rolls or pile onto a plate a mountain of food from a buffet then eat only part of it. Given how many people on our planet are starving and the need to conserve limited natural resources, I find that wasteful behaviour deplorable and I urge everyone to refrain from doing something similar.

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
OT -but one thing that really annoys me is parent & child car parking spaces! I don't know why there is a sudden obsession these days with "I have CHILDREN". I don't object necessarily to a bigger parking space for buggies, but I do object to them being close to the shops. Having children is not a disability.
Originally Posted by henry999
Thank luck that these places -- unlike those with the 'handicapped' designation -- are not legally enforceable! Use them at your pleasure.

cheers,

Henry
I would like to think that I don't do things that are selfish even though they are legal. I won't debate whether there should be parent & child parking spaces but if they are provided, then we should respect that and not use them unless taking care of children or have some other need. Similarly, those who park on the sidewalk/pavement must remember that they are blocking the path of a wheelchair user or someone pushing a pram. Some selfish actions merely cause inconvenience but there are actions that make it very difficult for other people.

On the subject of manners, it is sadly true that standards have fallen. Some of this is due to pressures of modern life and a decline in education and I think standards will fall further so we all need to be more tolerant. There is a difference between failing do do something that is courteous and doing something that is totally inconsiderate. When deciding whether an action would constitute bad manners, a test I recommend is if someone did that to you, would you wish they hadn't?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:47 am

OT -but one thing that really annoys me is parent & child car parking spaces! I don't know why there is a sudden obsession these days with "I have CHILDREN". I don't object necessarily to a bigger parking space for buggies, but I do object to them being close to the shops. Having children is not a disability.

But then I'm just a white, middle-class male and therefore anything I say must be wrong because of my inherent prejudices.

I take it you don't have children? Especially a small one. Give them a break...

As for people who park in a "parent and child parking space" just because they aren't legally enforceable...

Nothing to do with your prejudices, just that you seem to lack empathy for others... Surely a better world is about understanding and respect for others or maybe I am just stupidly niaive.

Boo
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:53 am
Suspended

i havent had a chance to read through all the posts but i do agree that bad manners and rudeness is becoming more common nowadays and its no fun being a victim of such people who are often bullies.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Originally Posted by tuapekastar
I'm unsure how many printers were available for use in this case, but I think the 'manners' reference in the thread title could quite rightly refer to 'hogging' the printer.

Ever wanted to print one page and found yourself waiting forever for a prior print to finish?
Yes many times at work
Old Aug 12, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: Yes please
Maybe I'm too modern, but I certainly don't offer my seat to WOMEN specifically. If on a train for instance, if there is a person who clearly needs it more than me, then I will discreetly offer it. I would always hold a door open for a person whether they were male or female, and see no difference here. If I see a person struggling with a heavy bag up some stairs, and I feel more able than them to get the bag up the stairs, then I will offer to carry it -i.e. at Birmingham International railway station (for the NEC and Airport), people often don't notice the lifts until they're on the stairs -the number of bags I've carried up those stairs!!

I really don't see why women should be treated differently in terms of a seat. They are capable of standing up, so am I. If I got to a seat on a train first, then why should I give it up? Women aren't some weak or endagered species!

But then I'm just a white, middle-class male and therefore anything I say must be wrong because of my inherent prejudices.
That makes two of us. Keep taking the tablets; it sometimes works for me.

But seriously though; I agree with every word, dot and comma.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jedi Master
Many times I have seen people take a few bacon rolls from the counter, then eat the bacon and leave all the rolls
I do this almost every time in the J lounge. To be honest I do not want to eat all of that bread but I do want the bacon. I do not see it as too much of an issue although I am a keen cook and never waste food in other situations.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 4:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It's slightly OT but I had someone help me with my bag at a London tube station last week (can't remember where it was).

I haven't had that for ages, but it was just so sweet and it made me appreciate that there are still helpful random strangers in England.

Then I saw a woman on the tube who put her shopping on the seat next to her while there were people standing and got immediately disappointed (I consider this rather rude thing to do).
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: Amex Plat; BA Blue
Originally Posted by Jedi Master
Many times I have seen people take a few bacon rolls from the counter, then eat the bacon and leave all the rolls or pile onto a plate a mountain of food from a buffet then eat only part of it.
There are so many wonderful parts of this thread that I can't possibly comment on them all. Except to say that, as great as the T5 lounges are, where I come from what they offer doesn't qualify as a bacon sandwich.

For a bacon sandwich, the bacon has to be at least as thick as one of the sides of the bread / bun. For bread, that would mean at least 3 slices, for a bun at least 5. From my recollection from my last visit to a T5 lounge at breakfast time (around 2 weeks ago) the bread was around 80% of the thickness, with the bacon being around 18% (the rest being the sauce, brown of course).

I understand that there may be some shandy-drinking ballerina-types who are worried about their cholesterol; so surely a better option would be to have a 'build-your-own bacon butty section'? That would certainly decrease waste.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by A Man Ray Kind Of Sky

I understand that there may be some shandy-drinking ballerina-types who are worried about their cholesterol; so surely a better option would be to have a 'build-your-own bacon butty section'? That would certainly decrease waste.
I think GF has gone DIY bacon butties?

I'm rarely at LHR departures in the morning, so I wouldn't know for sure, but I remember it being reported here.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:53 pm

Programs: BD*G. BA gold. Air France platinum. FT baggage tags. PC Gold, Marriott Silver. Hilton Gold.
Originally Posted by A Man Ray Kind Of Sky

....so surely a better option would be to have a 'build-your-own bacon butty section'? ............
NOW we are talking. What a great idea.

If I want to load up on carbs in T5, I would much rather have liquid bubbling chilled ones.

Steve.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 1:50 am
uk1
Suspended

Great thread. And only on FT can both sides meet so quickly ..... and then apologise to each other. Genuinely great.

The original exchange (some pages back now ......) reminded me of that wonderful scene in that great Woody Allen film "Annie Hall" where a know-all in a cinema queue was ponitificating about the work of the director/producer Marshall McLuhan. The Woody Allen character (Alvy Singer) was so incensed by the ill- informed media class teacher showing-off his "knowledge" he pulled out the said director who happened to be in the same cinema queue who said "I heard what you were saying! You know nothing of my work! You mean my whole fallacy is wrong. How you got to teach a course in anything is totally amazing! " To which Woody Allen said those wonderful (immortal) words direct to camera "Boy, if life were only like this! ".

And for once in life - and in this thread - "Life were really like this"!

For what it's worth on the manners front I'm totally in-line with Bealine on the subject of manners and to all those that support his line. I liked sunrisegirl 's comment on gentleman v man. I'm embarrased to say that even after being with mrs uk1 for nearly 35 years I still cannot let her walk on the road side of the pavement, and still force that position to me.

What I feel is missed about the topic of manners and consideration for others generally, and in particular where it has to do with interaction between complete strangers is that this is one of the few mechanisms left in society for one stranger to show another stranger (crossing both national and ethnic lines) that the "me-me" mentality that seems to have overtaken society generally still has outposts of resistance amongst those with culture that do care for others - even complete strangers.

Long let it live and we must remember that those people that disagree make the behaviour of those that observe these old rules much more noticeable and appreciated.^
Old Aug 13, 2009, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
It's slightly OT but I had someone help me with my bag at a London tube station last week (can't remember where it was).

I haven't had that for ages, but it was just so sweet and it made me appreciate that there are still helpful random strangers in England.
A lot of us would be quite suspicious of this sort of thing. Most people don't give others the time of day and to be honest, the first thing that would pop into my head would be "Is this stranger going to run off with it?".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.