Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some people have no manners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2009, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Some people have no manners

Currently sitting in T5 Arrivals Lounge. Wonderful place. Like the food, ambiance etc.

However, I am now on one of the PC's and have been for 30 minutes. When I arrived the printer was going on full speed and kept going for another 5 minutes.

Suddenly a younger man in his mid 20's arrive with a plate overflowing with English Breakfast. He starts eating like this is the last food on earth. He collects the prints from the printer and wow that must have been 100+ pages.

He has now printed another two rounds of atleast the same amount.
I mean seriously you freeloading scum? Some people have no manners.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 5:18 am

Programs: Etihad Gold
Freeloading scum?

Wake up on the wrong side of bed today?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 5:22 am

Perhaps he'd just arrived on a sleeper service, not having had the time to have a sit-down dinner beforehand and was hungry? What is the difference between printing a few hundred pages off on the printer in comparison to purposely going to the airport ahead of time to drink the lounge out of Pol or Bolly? I've never seen anyone describe those who brag about doing so being referred to as "freeloading scum" here, have you?

I'm sure from a profit perspective, BA would rather hand you 300 pages from the printer that you printed yourself, plus a plate full of breakfast, rather than another bottle of champagne.

In other threads people lament that BA is quickly losing the description of being a full-service airline. Where is there between Heathrow and the City other than the Arrivals Lounge that one can print a few hundred pages of something they may have been working on on the flight over in exchange for a few thousand dollars/pounds to occupy their seat?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 5:38 am

How much is 100 pages? At the local supermarket they charge 5Cents per page to copy and I assume they still earn something with it, so printing should be the same if not less. So this person just robbed the company of the incredibly high sum of 5 €... wow! And even worse, he dare to eat the food served in the lounge! Call the authorities, certainly such behavior can't be tolerated!

Old Aug 4, 2009, 5:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Perhaps he'd just arrived on a sleeper service, not having had the time to have a sit-down dinner beforehand and was hungry? What is the difference between printing a few hundred pages off on the printer in comparison to purposely going to the airport ahead of time to drink the lounge out of Pol or Bolly? I've never seen anyone describe those who brag about doing so being referred to as "freeloading scum" here, have you?

I'm sure from a profit perspective, BA would rather hand you 300 pages from the printer that you printed yourself, plus a plate full of breakfast, rather than another bottle of champagne.

In other threads people lament that BA is quickly losing the description of being a full-service airline. Where is there between Heathrow and the City other than the Arrivals Lounge that one can print a few hundred pages of something they may have been working on on the flight over in exchange for a few thousand dollars/pounds to occupy their seat?
Very good points ^

I think all of us at some time have had desperate printing needs, usually caused by circumstances outwith our control. I'm not going to judge someone on using a printer unless I know he is freeloading and not a victim of circumstances...
Old Aug 4, 2009, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Petrus
Suddenly a younger man in his mid 20's arrive with a plate overflowing with English Breakfast. He starts eating like this is the last food on earth.
Were it not for the time and age difference I'd have thought you were describing my son. However he was at LHR T5 Arrivals lounge 48 hours ago with Mrs PtF, is only 13, and had two plates of English Breakfast . He didn't print anything though.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 6:59 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
I'm unsure how many printers were available for use in this case, but I think the 'manners' reference in the thread title could quite rightly refer to 'hogging' the printer.

Ever wanted to print one page and found yourself waiting forever for a prior print to finish?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:25 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by tuapekastar
I'm unsure how many printers were available for use in this case, but I think the 'manners' reference in the thread title could quite rightly refer to 'hogging' the printer.

Ever wanted to print one page and found yourself waiting forever for a prior print to finish?
And I think that is a legitimate point. You do share the lounge with the other users.

If the OP was waiting to print a page I would me mightly annoyed in their posisition. I know for a fact that I would not release a 1 page job into the system at that point, it might get caught been jobs and be carried off anywhere.

<aside>I was once in the LGW terraces and printed a 1 page document to the printer. Noticed there was a couple of sheets on top of it already, also noticed that when the printer (which had been inactive for at least the 15 mins I had been on the computer) started up a man sitting near by looked at it suddenly. Then he was watching me walk towards it, I carefully lifted mysheet off the top, leaving what was there neatly where it was, not touching it nor looking at it.
But no, he jumps to his feet, grabbing an unused knife (well, spreader, such that they are) from the small table beside him and proceeds to brandish it at me saying "Hey, what you touch my prints for!!! Hey!".
Me: "This is not your print, it is mine." And I walked off..... (had I not been in a rush for the flight and still needing to buy something I would have reported him to the desk).
</aside>

Last edited by David-A; Aug 4, 2009 at 7:37 am
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:45 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
A patron using the lounge facilities? Absurd!

Also, what does the fact that he's a 'young male in his 20's' have to do with anything? Couldn't you just have said 'another patron/customer', or is the real issue here about how inconsiderate the youth of today are (or something)?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Would it have made a difference if an elder banker were printing instead of a younger one? Just curious...
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Currently sitting in T5 Arrivals Lounge. Wonderful place. Like the food, ambiance etc.

However, I am now on one of the PC's and have been for 30 minutes. When I arrived the printer was going on full speed and kept going for another 5 minutes.

Suddenly a younger man in his mid 20's arrive with a plate overflowing with English Breakfast. He starts eating like this is the last food on earth. He collects the prints from the printer and wow that must have been 100+ pages.

He has now printed another two rounds of atleast the same amount.
I mean seriously you freeloading scum? Some people have no manners.
He probably thought the breakfast was rubbish on board, or he was on a sleeper service with the new style cookies? If he is printing that many pages, he could be doing a mass presentation which requires 1000s of calories to get through?

Im a semipro cyclist, I often wonder what people think when I go to breakfast in the morning and have a bowl of museli, bowl of fruit with yoghurt, 2poached eggs on toast, some more toast with honey, some tea and juice and then grab a croissant/pain au chocolate to eat in an hours time. I burn a lot of calories in a day...
Old Aug 4, 2009, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Suddenly a younger man in his mid 20's arrive with a plate overflowing with English Breakfast. He starts eating like this is the last food on earth.
Ah yes the eating manners of the youth of today certainly could be improved upon. He shouldn't have been allowed to eat that breakfast at the PCs anyway. That's what the dining tables are for is it not?
I was brought up never to eat anything where cutlery had to be used anywhere but at the table.Of course those were the days when the TV was switched off at dinner time and we actually talked to each other. The womens place was in the kitchen.

As for the print job.........100+ pages x3 does seem excessive and just not on if there is a lack of printers.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
As for the print job.........100+ pages x3 does seem excessive and just not on if there is a lack of printers.
I'd agree with this, and it is rather taking the p..s!

As for breakfast, well it could have been he was particularly hungry, but sounds as if it was a bit like 'let me grab as much of this free stuff as I can'. However, I wasn't there so could be entirely wrong.

As for people having no manners these days, Petrus I'm shocked that you've only just realised this.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
If there was no one else using the PCs/printer and I needed to print off that amount of work then I probably would. That is what the printer is for, after all and you have paid for your printing within your premium ticket price! However, if other people were in the area then I would refrain from printing such a large job as it is bad manners to 'hog' the facilities for oneself. I would consider splitting the print job if it was too large.

I don't think I've ever spent so much time considering my printing habits.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 8:16 am

*Wonders how long it will be after this thread appearing that BA introduce a printing charge "based on customer feedback"....*

In fairness, I can easily see how you can have this print job as a norm. Even in the electronic age, shuffling 200+ page files around is still the norm, and I for one hate reviewing lengthy documents on screen. And if said passenger was headed from Heathrow to Canary Wharf for example, that's a good use of time.

Based on some of the recent responses to threads on the BA board of late, I'm surprised some haven't suggested BA bring back ration books - enter the lounge and get a coupon book to use the facilities - 2 coupons for champagne, 1 coupon for a bag of pretzels and 1 for printing off no more than 5 pages of A4 (black and white, mind, and draft quality only...).

Last edited by Shuttle-Bored; Aug 4, 2009 at 8:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.