Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some people have no manners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Back to topic (if I may be so bold!)

I think we are far, far less likely to hear a similar response as we had from printingandbreakfast from the gentleman currently in the MAN lounge who is currently surfing www.sugardaddies.com.

I was certainly not peeking at his screen, just happened to look round and there it was. He has since scuttled off to a quieter corner
Old Aug 6, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
OT -but one thing that really annoys me is parent & child car parking spaces! I don't know why there is a sudden obsession these days with "I have CHILDREN". I don't object necessarily to a bigger parking space for buggies, but I do object to them being close to the shops. Having children is not a disability.

But then I'm just a white, middle-class male and therefore anything I say must be wrong because of my inherent prejudices.
Thank luck that these places -- unlike those with the 'handicapped' designation -- are not legally enforceable! Use them at your pleasure.

cheers,

Henry
Old Aug 6, 2009, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by henry999
Thank luck that these places -- unlike those with the 'handicapped' designation -- are not legally enforceable! Use them at your pleasure.

cheers,

Henry
and become a member of the anti-social t*sser club.

If you ask nearly anyone who needs to use a buggy / pram / seat child in trolley , they are happy to have an area away from the supermarket where they can SAFELY attend to their child(ren). It's the store planners that invariably put these right outside the shop.
Of course if these spots weren't designated in the car park , it's highly unlikely you'd get one anyway.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 2:32 pm

Programs: Mucci Master of the Skies, Does anyone read any further than Mucci anyway? BAEC Blue

cheers,

Henry
Well, I hope the day comes when you need one of those spaces and can't get one because someone like yourself has used them. I think you have just proved the title of this thread.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold

cheers,

Henry
I hope therefore that no child will be unlucky enough to have you as a father providing them an example as to how to live their lives.

hammythehammer, good summary...

IAMORGAN, I agree that these spaces do not need to be next to the store, however they are incredibly useful to avoid (maybe) your car doors being hit by my car doors which have to be opened fully to get a child seat out of the car.

My having children will also hopefully mean that they are contributing to both your and my state pensions when you and I have retired.

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Aug 6, 2009 at 3:14 pm
Old Aug 6, 2009, 2:44 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
What a great thread - printingandbreakfast how you managed to get a thread go from.. well printing and breakfast to military girls sitting on trains in tight miniskirts I do not know - but you are now a legend!

One of the funniest threads I have read in a while.

My thanks to you and petreus for starting this thread - brilliant!

Regards AKS120^
Old Aug 6, 2009, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aks120
What a great thread - printingandbreakfast how you managed to get a thread go from.. well printing and breakfast to military girls sitting on trains in tight miniskirts I do not know -
Gosh I missed that one - can you point me to the post please?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
HIDDY - the link to your trip report does not appear to work.
You mean someone actually attempts to read them?

Wearing my stalker's hat, I'm more interested in HIDDY's airplane spotter pictues.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling

IAMORGAN, I agree that these spaces do not need to be next to the store, however they are incredibly useful to avoid (maybe) your car doors being hit by my car doors which have to be opened fully to get a child seat out of the car.

My having children will also hopefully mean that they are contributing to both your and my state pensions when you and I have retired.
I know that's the point of them, but like I say, I don't see why they should be so close to the shops/entrances in carparks. Of course the argument for being close to the store is a two-fold one -firstly, it is safety, the second is ease/space -i.e. in a mulistory, the lifts are often cramped if full of buggies. My point is merely that whilst people can't help being disabled (generally -sometimes if it was an accident where they were at fault, maybe they can...), but people generally choose to have children. With choice comes responsibility. We are lucky enough to have a car. Then again, I am lucky to have a car and so shouldn't moan about where to park it. Still think it's wrong though.

I also don't think them having a separate parking space close to the shops will make any difference to your or my state pension anyway

In terms of manners, the NUMBER ONE THING that really p!sses me off is the way in which no-one seems to use the words "please" and "thank you" any more. It's such a simple thing to do, and makes people much more inclined to help you.

If I am a person with no manners then so be it, am I bovvered?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador

cheers,

Henry
I think some people have been a bit harsh on you tbh. To suggest that you are unfit to have children because you would park in a parent & child space is a totally unfair assertion, IMHO.

I must confess that it is tempting to do so, but I can't ever quite bring myself to actually use those spaces.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:32 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
I think some people have been a bit harsh on you tbh. To suggest that you are unfit to have children because you would park in a parent & child space is a totally unfair assertion, IMHO.

I must confess that it is tempting to do so, but I can't ever quite bring myself to actually use those spaces.
I of course use them all the time. Why should I be discriminated because I have no children?

Now, there is a possibility that this is different in the UK and Sweden. Here, there's no difference between a "family parking" and a normal one, except "family parking" is closer to the entrance. They are certainly not wider or safer.

As of manners, I always hold the door (regardless of gender), I always help people whenever I can. I offer my seat on the bus/tram to those that are elderly or look tired (regardless of gender).

Lastly, this thread is a classic. Thank you Petrus and printingandbreakfast ^
Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:36 pm

I don't see why they should be so close to the shops/entrances in carparks.
Completely agree. If they were further away they would also be less attractive to others

My point is merely that whilst people can't help being disabled (generally -sometimes if it was an accident where they were at fault, maybe they can...), but people generally choose to have children. With choice comes responsibility. We are lucky enough to have a car. Then again, I am lucky to have a car and so shouldn't moan about where to park it. Still think it's wrong though.
Sure - but the point here is that supermarkets do choose to provide these spaces and as such they do make life much easier for those of us who need them. They won't be un-invented.

Just because they're not legally enforceable doesn't mean they should be abused. in fact you can, in the UK, legally be clamped for abusing such spaces if there is adequate signage to warn that this might happen as it is on private land. It would take a brave supermarket to follow this through though.

I also don't think them having a separate parking space close to the shops will make any difference to your or my state pension anyway
You may have a point. If they have more exercise by having to walk further then maybe they will be fitter, longer-lived and will therefore contribute more to the public purse...

My understanding of the original post on this (which I have now re-read and have to admit I misread) was that the poster thought it OK to park in a disabled bay, not a parent and child one. I didn't mean to say that I thought the poster was unfit to have children, but that their attitude is unlikely to be compatible with being a good role-model.

PS. I also always try to say please and thank you. I smile as much as possible and always hold doors open for others, irrespective of gender, age or length of skirt. In fact I tend to find that more people than not hold doors open for others, I'm pleased to say.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)

My mother is a disabled blue badge holder and often has trouble parking in one of our local supermarkets because of the selfish mothers who think having a child is the same as disablement.

Nothing makes me angrier to see these fully able bodied, (mostly) younger women who've chosen to have a child take a space from someone who is unable to walk but had no choice in the matter.

Please ..... don't get me started on this subject.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
My mother is a disabled blue badge holder and often has trouble parking in one of our local supermarkets because of the selfish mothers who think having a child is the same as disablement.

Nothing makes me angrier to see these fully able bodied, (mostly) younger women who've chosen to have a child take a space from someone who is unable to walk but had no choice in the matter.

Please ..... don't get me started on this subject.
I do seem to remember we had a very similar set of discussions on exactly the same topic a few months ago... with some of the same contributors. I will bow out at this point
Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I do seem to remember we had a very similar set of discussions on exactly the same topic a few months ago... with some of the same contributors. I will bow out at this point
Me too, especially as it's bed time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.