Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone else remember Dan Air?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:10 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I certainly remember them. I might add that their Elite Class Business Class was scads better than BAs - separate cheese and desert course and little touches that made flying a pleasure. I recall going on a holiday to St Petersberg to cruise on Lake Ladoga in 1992. It was just the week that Britain crashed out of the precursor of the EMF - I flew on those 727-200 which still had the old JAL interiors. Soon after that, they were acquired by BA for a nominal £1 - they were choking in debt. The crew who came to BA were some of the best going. Anyoone who has dealt with charters can deal with anything. They arrived at BA - saw what BA were offering their passengers and thought that they had arrived in heaven. HI flew with them to MPL, VIE, GIB, and TLS and declared them excellent.

I recall that their maintenance base was at Lasham - can anyone confirm or deny that?
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I have many happy memories of Dan Air in the mid 80's to 90's. Owning a villa in Menorca, meant in the winter months- we could choose from Monarch Crown service from LTN on a Friday or the Saturday scheduled Dan Air flight from LGW. Usually on a 737-300/400, I had some great flight on Diamond Service with a full bar, wine with the meal and just a nice atmosphere. In the winter the flight was either ex pats in Menorca or villa owners paying a visit so loads of people knew each other and the arrivals hall at Mahon was a bit of a social club.
Only time I had a tech issue was on one of these winter flights - we levelled off over Sussex with ears popping everywhere. The pilot confirmed there was an issue with pressurisation, we dumped fuel for 30 mins and landed back at LGW. Ground staff had sorted coffee and snacks at the gate while we waited for the replacement aircraft.
In the summer months, a lot of the seat only flights (for villa owners and people renting) were the infamous 0600 /0630 departures on Fridays and Mondays. Usually with 1-111 or 727 100/200s. Rarely on time, but a lot of fun. Cold food only as the planes had no ovens. If it was a 1-11 then a 15 kg bag allowance as there was a performance issue (presumably at Mahon)
Occasionally we did the Monday afternoon flight which for a number of years was one of the two A300's that Dan Air operated for a number of years.
My only negative memory (and please correct me if I'm wrong), is that for a while Dan Air would not recruit male cabin crew, and were taken to court? I could be wrong but it was definately rare to see male crew.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Lasham was their maintenance base. Occasionally, Titan send their 737s there still for maintenance
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by mlafqtv
Also flew with them several times, from mid-60's to one of thier final flights CDG/LGW in November 1992. Flew Comets several times, as well as thier BAC1-11, Boeing 727 and 737 aircraft.
Attached cabin plan is from a Clarksons holiday to Nea Makri, Greece in August 72. Guess which seats we had!

What a marvellous relic. We would have been flying from Ringway (always remember the Alcock and Brown sculpture and I have some memory of something to do with Icarus there) I'd love to find the pricing, and it would have been 1972 too. If you have the whole catalogue, could you see if it includes packages to the Messonghi Beach Hotel in Corfu?

My recollection is that as a family of five we were across a full row, probably in a similar mid cabin position. I had the left side window seat on both inbound and outbound, but I was nominally sharing with my older sister. Crossing the Alps was a big event, lots of excitement in the cabin bearing in mind people hardly flew in those days. And everyone dressed up, even for a package holiday.
Mike Skyflier likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
My pre-teenage memories are a little hazy, but IIRC my first experience of rear facing flying was with Dan Air - very odd set up on a 727, with 3 front and 3 rear facing seats around the middle exit row.

Still have my original passport with loads of Entrada and Salida stamps in it. Happy days...
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Nice writeup of the Dan Air Comet 4C at East Fortune here

https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...comet-4-fleet/

I feel a day trip coming on. About 40 minutes from EDI by car.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:30 pm

I had the privilege to work in Dan Air operations from 78-83. As a young spotty avgeek teenager, I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. First week of famil entailed 3 flightdeck trips GVA, BGO and MUC. MUC was in a Comet - got as far as DVR and all the hydraulics pissed out. We returned to LGW, manually lowering the gear IIRC, quick a/c change and off we went again. Those 5 years stood me in very good stead for my later career in ATC.

Fond memories.
FlightDetective and nivsy like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:23 pm

In case anyone is interested, go on YouTube and find Wings of a Dove by Madness. The video was shot on a DanAir plane.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I certainly remember them. I might add that their Elite Class Business Class was scads better than BAs - separate cheese and desert course and little touches that made flying a pleasure. I recall going on a holiday to St Petersberg to cruise on Lake Ladoga in 1992. It was just the week that Britain crashed out of the precursor of the EMF - I flew on those 727-200 which still had the old JAL interiors. Soon after that, they were acquired by BA for a nominal £1 - they were choking in debt. The crew who came to BA were some of the best going. Anyoone who has dealt with charters can deal with anything. They arrived at BA - saw what BA were offering their passengers and thought that they had arrived in heaven. HI flew with them to MPL, VIE, GIB, and TLS and declared them excellent.

I recall that their maintenance base was at Lasham - can anyone confirm or deny that?
Lasham was indeed the maintenance base. It was almost forced to close as a tree was growing under the westerly approach, and getting taller and taller. Dan had the most awful trouble getting permission to cut it down, and were considering closing Lasham when finally able to remove the offending tree.

I think the B727-100's were ex All Nippon.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bisonrav
What a marvellous relic. We would have been flying from Ringway (always remember the Alcock and Brown sculpture and I have some memory of something to do with Icarus there) I'd love to find the pricing, and it would have been 1972 too. If you have the whole catalogue, could you see if it includes packages to the Messonghi Beach Hotel in Corfu?

My recollection is that as a family of five we were across a full row, probably in a similar mid cabin position. I had the left side window seat on both inbound and outbound, but I was nominally sharing with my older sister. Crossing the Alps was a big event, lots of excitement in the cabin bearing in mind people hardly flew in those days. And everyone dressed up, even for a package holiday.
Alas we never kept the brochure, though we flew from LGW. Cabin plan was on reverse side of A4 sheet that accompanied and is attached below. Inetresting seating policy, especailly as it was a charter. Some things were better ' in the good old days'
I've got the inflight magazine somewhere.
Also attached is a copy a ticket for aonther DA flight.

Sealink and bisonrav like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:06 pm

One of my favourite trips was a week in Fuerteventura in winter. Day 1 was position LGW-FRA-TXL LGW-Fra was business class Bcal BAC1-11and FRA-TXL was F in a Pan Am A310. Day 2 TXL-FUE then a week sitting in the sun before FUE-FAO-TXL then a last night in TXL before positioning home on the BAC1-11 TXL-LGW. Those tartan ladies looked after us so well on the way to FRA, which made a great start to the trip. What a way to avoid winter. A lot of guys could not do the trip because of family commitments, or passport. It was a requirement to have a British French USA or Russian passport to fly the Berlin corridors. This shrank the available crew pool, and led to me spending a lot of the winter sitting in the sun.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
I have many happy memories of Dan Air in the mid 80's to 90's. Owning a villa in Menorca, meant in the winter months- we could choose from Monarch Crown service from LTN on a Friday or the Saturday scheduled Dan Air flight from LGW. Usually on a 737-300/400, I had some great flight on Diamond Service with a full bar, wine with the meal and just a nice atmosphere. In the winter the flight was either ex pats in Menorca or villa owners paying a visit so loads of people knew each other and the arrivals hall at Mahon was a bit of a social club.
Only time I had a tech issue was on one of these winter flights - we levelled off over Sussex with ears popping everywhere. The pilot confirmed there was an issue with pressurisation, we dumped fuel for 30 mins and landed back at LGW. Ground staff had sorted coffee and snacks at the gate while we waited for the replacement aircraft.
In the summer months, a lot of the seat only flights (for villa owners and people renting) were the infamous 0600 /0630 departures on Fridays and Mondays. Usually with 1-111 or 727 100/200s. Rarely on time, but a lot of fun. Cold food only as the planes had no ovens. If it was a 1-11 then a 15 kg bag allowance as there was a performance issue (presumably at Mahon)
Occasionally we did the Monday afternoon flight which for a number of years was one of the two A300's that Dan Air operated for a number of years.
My only negative memory (and please correct me if I'm wrong), is that for a while Dan Air would not recruit male cabin crew, and were taken to court? I could be wrong but it was definately rare to see male crew.
There is no fuel dumping system on any B737 variant. If required an overweight landing is performed.
You are correct, no male cabin crew until they were forced by the courts, it was a rather silly policy, but then Cathay Pacific had no female pilots until a similar ruling.
I used to fly with a lady Captain in DAN-AIR, and she was great fun for a week.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
I only ever flew a DanAir flight once from Munich to LGW. There was no snow at the time so I flew to the UK and DanAir was the cheapest available.

What made it memorable for me I was sitting in the front row of the 1-11 and the curtain in the front was closed because one of the stewardesses was changing. The guy sitting next to me tried to peak and got a wonderfiully hearty slap around his face for his troubles from the stewardess.
rapidex and bisonrav like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I remember their channel island operations. BAC 1-11/BAe 146 out of LGW and HS748 out of BOH

Also remember seeing their Comets operate out of Luton as a kid.

Flew their 727 on a charter to Dalaman shortly before their demise..
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
I remember it very well as it was my very first flight. Flew on a 727 LGW to ATH for a school trip in 1985/86. I still have a dan air tea spoon at home!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.