Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone else remember Dan Air?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2009, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
[pedant]
Are you referring to the Rombac 1-11s (manufactured in Romania under licence from BAC) or Tarom, the Romanian airline?
[/pedant]

I used both on occasion, even a Tarom Rombac 1-11.
Old May 4, 2009, 2:46 am

My first flight was also on Dan Air - LGW to Santorini on a 727 in 1984. Had to stop at Athens on the return journey to refuel.
Old May 4, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: Priority Club Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, formerly BA Gold, formerly KLM silver
I had a trip from LGW to DUB in 1988 which I think was Dan Air. The organiser lived next to a Dan Air pilot and gave a card signed by his neighbour to one of the cabin crew. Those of us who were interested got to see the cockpit.
That brings home how long ago it was.
JP.
Old May 4, 2009, 3:41 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I remember trips when I was a youth, but to be honest cant remember the service as it was all just an adventure being in the sky.
Old May 5, 2009, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold; Alfursan Silver; IC Spire
Funny how it seems most had their first flights on Dan Air. Mine was also in 1972 in a Comet LGW - Naples, on a school trip (but we returned from Venice on a BCal 1-11). Sat in row 2 facing row 1, it was strange seeing rear facing seats on a plane, which I didn't see again until Club World.

When I was working in a travel agency I remember the most popular route was LGW-ABZ we had a number of oil rig workers who use DA as the flight times worked in with the departure to the rigs.

Last DA flights were LGW-ZRH-LGW in 1983, DA had not long had this route and we were on an educational to Switzerland. I remember the service was very good and the catering was too.
Old May 5, 2009, 2:23 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Darling, this is Dan-Air (Bing Bong I know that they do not show documentaries on Nickelodeon, and that the plot of Corrie and Eastenders may prove a challenge - but do pay attention!) not Imperial Airways.

Poor Dan Air may have done the most dreadful charters but the Scheduled flights had a wonderful Class Elite that was streets ahead of anything else in Europe BA included. The crews who came to us thought that they had died and gone to heaven as the work was nothing compared to what they used to do. I did not know that they flew LGW- MAN as I thought that they operated out of LHR to INV. I thought that it was LHR-MAN but that is a while ago! BCAL flew LGW-MAN and it was hot croissants rather than a cooked breakfast on those 1-11s. The hot water was impossible and we regularly served luke warm drinks if we could get them to work at all and we had sort of hot cupboards rather than proper ovens by then. We used to pary that we would not get anything on our starched white blouses (swine to iron!) as we were inspected all the time and woe betide any hostess with a stained uniform blouse!

Anyhow, as you will have surmised - yes lots of us do remember and indeed among the crew last night were one ex-British Airtours, one ex Dan-Air crew two BCAL Beauties ( *), one ex BMed, two ex GB Airtours - in fact they were great. No direction needed - knew exactly what and how to do everything.
FlightDetective likes this.

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; May 5, 2009 at 6:23 am
Old May 5, 2009, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Found this about Dan Air Elite Class:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%202019.html
Old May 5, 2009, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by john_r06
My second ever flight was Newcastle to Jersey on a Dan-air BAC 1-11.

They helped me over my early flying nightmares after a first ever flight on an Air-uk turbo prop
We had multiple flights on that route in a Dan Air Bae 146.

Delightfully quiet, & altogether most civilised ;-)
Old May 5, 2009, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I remember eying the Dan-Air Comets at LGW enviously in the mid-1970s as I taxied past aboard BCal metal. Devastated that I never got to fly in one. By the time I was old enough to make my own travel arrangements the Comets were gone.
Old May 5, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
My first ever flight was with Dan Dare from Gatwick to Malaga in 1978.
Old May 5, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
My first ever Danair flight was to Jersey when I was just 3 years old from Cardiff - mother cannot remember what the aircraft type was however apparently it was a jet.
Old May 5, 2009, 4:02 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
I used to see the Manchester trio of BDAS, BDAT as the 1-11s and BDAN the 727 before it hit the mountain, on a regular basis in my youth. I remember the Comet 4s well. I flew in the 1-11s but not the other types. There were also regular 748 operations on the milk run from Bournemouth to Scotland via all intermediate stations too. Then there were the runs up to Scatsta and other Shetland destinations.

I did jumpseat a 1-11 on LGW-MAN once with a Captain that lived down the road from me. He had three stunning daughters....

I now teach the Dan Air crash at Tenerife North on my courses.
nivsy likes this.
Old May 6, 2009, 6:30 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by spotwelder
I used to see the Manchester trio of BDAS, BDAT as the 1-11s and BDAN the 727 before it hit the mountain, on a regular basis in my youth. I remember the Comet 4s well. I flew in the 1-11s but not the other types. There were also regular 748 operations on the milk run from Bournemouth to Scotland via all intermediate stations too. Then there were the runs up to Scatsta and other Shetland destinations.

I did jumpseat a 1-11 on LGW-MAN once with a Captain that lived down the road from me. He had three stunning daughters....

I now teach the Dan Air crash at Tenerife North on my courses.
I spy with my little eye someone who is an anorak.

Did we do plane spotting in our not so distant youth Spottie? I well recall the TFN crash. To think that they still allow flight deck to speak in languages other than English. That airport has a very unenviable reputation.
Old May 6, 2009, 6:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I have two memories of flying with Dan Dare. The first was a flight on April 1st so they couldn't resist changing the destination on the preflight announcements - how we laughed! And the second was a landing in the snow at Luton, I think. I have never experienced a worse landing. It was a bumpy descent and once we hit the snow and ice we were skidding all over the place.
Old May 8, 2009, 4:19 pm

UFG'S and other things..

Indeed I was proud to get 350 hot meals out and in the lift prior to crossing the Sussex coast from LGW!!!

LGW/MAN route was B.CAL... transferred to Dan when BA bought BR ... and then when they spent their £1 in '93.. lo and behold... BA started LGW/MAN and the rest as they say isi history .. the Hot Brekkies live on !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.