Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone else remember Dan Air?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic
I remember a Dan Air flight from Gatwick to Manchester around 1987 when my travelling companion managed to persuade the CC to give us a 'drink for landing' once the seatbelt signs had already been switched on- absolutely un-necessary but rather fun.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Concerto The hi-res scanner is a plustek - it's very good, extremely expensive, but takes a while to get good results. My recommendation is to get a cheap scanner from Amazon with a feeder, LCD screen and SD card, you can rattle the slides through that very quickly to see which ones you want to spend more time on or possibly get done professionally. You will get quite reasonable results from those too.

One tip is to drop them into the feeder one at a time when scanning, otherwise it can jam.
I was thinking too that a relatively cheap machine would probably do the trick. I should trawl through online reviews here in Germany and just pick one. Germany is still pretty good with optical stuff, even though most of the country has gone banana republic ways now.
Do you have to remove the slides from the mounts? The problem in my case is that a large number of the mounts are paper, or, more precisely, cardboard. We have a lot of old Istanbul (1960-1963 and Hong Kong 1964-1974) pics.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
No, the mounts pass through without any trouble unless seriously warped.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Best crew

Originally Posted by BarelyBAGold
I remember a Dan Air flight from Gatwick to Manchester around 1987 when my travelling companion managed to persuade the CC to give us a 'drink for landing' once the seatbelt signs had already been switched on- absolutely un-necessary but rather fun.
some of the very best British Airways legacy crew at Gatwick had originally come from Dan Air. Others, of course, from British Caledonian – but some of the most memorable for me were Dan Air trained. A huge loss.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 1:47 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Yvonne Pope Sintes has sadly died. The little video clip in this tweet is remarkable for firstly showing what an amazing woman she was anyway, but also the interior and passengers of a Dan Air Comet in some detail.

I discovered this week that my first flight was not in a Dan Air Comet as I'd thought, but in a BEA Airtours example, having found someone who had researched the 1971 Gatwick movements. But would have been substantially the same interior as this, very evocative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.