FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone else remember Dan Air?
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:28 pm
Mikey Mike Mike

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I have many happy memories of Dan Air in the mid 80's to 90's. Owning a villa in Menorca, meant in the winter months- we could choose from Monarch Crown service from LTN on a Friday or the Saturday scheduled Dan Air flight from LGW. Usually on a 737-300/400, I had some great flight on Diamond Service with a full bar, wine with the meal and just a nice atmosphere. In the winter the flight was either ex pats in Menorca or villa owners paying a visit so loads of people knew each other and the arrivals hall at Mahon was a bit of a social club.
Only time I had a tech issue was on one of these winter flights - we levelled off over Sussex with ears popping everywhere. The pilot confirmed there was an issue with pressurisation, we dumped fuel for 30 mins and landed back at LGW. Ground staff had sorted coffee and snacks at the gate while we waited for the replacement aircraft.
In the summer months, a lot of the seat only flights (for villa owners and people renting) were the infamous 0600 /0630 departures on Fridays and Mondays. Usually with 1-111 or 727 100/200s. Rarely on time, but a lot of fun. Cold food only as the planes had no ovens. If it was a 1-11 then a 15 kg bag allowance as there was a performance issue (presumably at Mahon)
Occasionally we did the Monday afternoon flight which for a number of years was one of the two A300's that Dan Air operated for a number of years.
My only negative memory (and please correct me if I'm wrong), is that for a while Dan Air would not recruit male cabin crew, and were taken to court? I could be wrong but it was definately rare to see male crew.