Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Luggage Tags on Cabin Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:14 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
I have Silver tags on my bags because I am a nob.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:18 am

Programs: QFF SG, EK, EY Silver, SQ Gold, SPG, PC Plat RA, A¦Club Platinum, Hertz 5*
OK, straw poll time.....I'm sat in the QF/BA J Hong Kong lounge, and decided to have a quick toddle round, and also look at people's hand luggage as they come in. Tags of various colours and varieties have been visible on probably 30% of hand luggage that I could see.
Clearly it would be a little freaky if I went up and examined each tag closely to see which colour/airline variety it was, but just noting tags is probably enough. So maybe that's it. I'm officially in a minority...
Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaz
I have Silver tags on my bags because I am a nob.
I have paper tags on my bags, my wife still says I'm a nob.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:35 am

Programs: QFF SG, EK, EY Silver, SQ Gold, SPG, PC Plat RA, A¦Club Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I have paper tags on my bags, my wife still says I'm a nob.
When you say nob, do you mean in the 1930's sense of the word, so every time she calls you a nob she doffs her hat, or curtseys?
Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Originally Posted by 2muchplastic
When you say nob, do you mean in the 1930's sense of the word, so every time she calls you a nob she doffs her hat, or courtseys?
I knew Hiddy was old but did not think that he was that old
Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Gold, QR Silver, HH Diamond
Timely thread. As a recent silver I was going to ask this question.

When I got my silver I felt strangely proud and straightaway stuck it on my bag.

Whenever I see anyone else with a silver on their bag, I think they are a nob.

Herein lies the problem.

And, now I have not one but two different airline tags danglling from my bag, even I think I am a nob. I think I'll take them off again.

But I suspect the truth is, >>no-one is paying any attention<<. Rather like checking in at the F counter, and acting blase. No-one cares, they are too busy being happy about going on holiday.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess my negative reaction is an association between toting a Gold card tag and having DYKWIA tendancies. There has been a correlation - for me anyhow - between the two. Not implying that they inextricably linked at all, merely that that the tags often accompany a certain type of behaviour that I am not keen on.

As I noted, when I used them previously they added no value to my travel experience. I ended up wondering why then bother at all. If you reguarly have your bag checked, or stored somewhere I can see merit in them and they will certainly be more elegant that a piece of coloured string.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When you say nob, do you mean in the 1930's sense of the word, so every time she calls you a nob she doffs her hat, or curtseys?
Correct - At least I think that's what she means.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by MrSoft
...Herein lies the problem.

And, now I have not one but two different airline tags danglling from my bag, even I think I am a nob. I think I'll take them off again.....
So there's differing levels of (k)nobbishness it seems. Multiple tags = BIG nob.

I have the choice of several tags, but if I put them all on, I think my hand luggage would be overweight. And I would be a nob to carry them all around....
Old Oct 24, 2008, 8:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
So there's differing levels of (k)nobbishness it seems. Multiple tags = BIG nob.

I have the choice of several tags, but if I put them all on, I think my hand luggage would be overweight. And I would be a nob to carry them all around....
One person I used to work with had 5 British Airways Gold Cards on his bag as he insisted on keeping all his previous years cards on there
Old Oct 24, 2008, 8:14 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by BA1A
One person I used to work with had 5 British Airways Gold Cards on his bag as he insisted on keeping all his previous years cards on there
Thought that they stopped embossing the date on luggage tags quite a while ago?
Old Oct 24, 2008, 8:22 am

To my hand luggage I attach the old thick Executive Club tag provided in the days before blue, silver and gold had been dreamt of. That makes me decrepit and boring, but that, according to my dear lady wife, is simply conforming to type.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 8:26 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
Since my previous post I am now not only a "nob", but now I'm a "prat", "naff", and I'm "poncey". I have no idea what my new status entails, or indeed what any of the latter two things mean, but I'm still putting a tag on.

Last edited by dfotn; Oct 24, 2008 at 11:58 am
Old Oct 24, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by OPebble
Thought that they stopped embossing the date on luggage tags quite a while ago?
Yes I am going back a while here when I last worked with this person, mid to late 90's.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dfotn
Since my previous post I am now not only a "nob", but know I'm a "prat", "naff", and I'm "poncey". I have no idea what my new status entails, or indeed what any of the latter two things mean
http://www.urbandictionary.com might help on the latter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.