Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Luggage Tags on Cabin Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2008, 1:23 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Sometimes carryons get gate checked and it is useful to have a tag on for those times.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 1:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Oil-man
the only point to putting these gold tags on you cabin baggage is to say, look at me, I'm a BA high-flyer - look how important I am.
Yes, that's exactly I put the tags on.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 2:09 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
.....well for your sake I hope the guy in front of you doesn't have a Black one.
Black What?

Now - my hairbrush is ready and willing for the next offender. This Forum does not have nobs. We have knobs - or rather you do - now you see once agasin HIDDY has me all hot and bothered with his inuendo.

If I had a Gold tag it would most certainly be attached to my bag as soon as I received it without a doubt
and his split infinitives. Before this thread degenerates when he wakes some time this afternoon - let me tell you this - he is actually speaking a of sense.

To crew - we never take any notice of the bag as the date is often well past sell by - it is what is on the manifest that matters. However it is not true Mr Oilman that your bag never leaves you. We make you put it in the overhead locker or under you feet (actually much more secure from your point of view). Bags do look alike or even if they do not they can be fairly standard. Anything that you can do to make them more noticeable does not only protect them from theft but also from pilfering. It is a sad fact of life, it is a sorry fact of life but on certain routes in particular I would never ever put my bag anywhere that was not in my line of sight. Never. Good bye Bag or Good Bye contents or worse go to toilet with the bag - have a nice root through it and (if a handbag) dump it down the hand towel disposal. If it is at my feet - it is far less at risk. In CW this is far reduced and in F it is non exisitent - practically.

No, you are not a Knob (so vulgar!) for having a Gold card on your hand luggage - it might just keep it that bit safer. Now - if you wear it around your neck as I have seen (No it was not Darling Sheep () far more of a Toad as memory serves), putting it on your tray table (usually means that an upgrade did not forthcome) and tapping it like you do - now that is in my mind a potential model for a condom.

Most of you would never need status cards if you have half the wit, the jocularity (pause while HIDDY scuttles off to find the dictionary), and downright friendliness that I read about here. We try and look after everybody - but guess who never has the empty glass!
Old Oct 24, 2008, 2:17 am

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
I'm now torn between chasing the silver luggage tag and buying a fab Montblanc bag from T5 to attach it to...which comes first, the bag or the tag?
Old Oct 24, 2008, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
So who puts their gold luggage tags on their cabin bags? Since this luggage is always with you, the only point to putting these gold tags on you cabin baggage is to say, look at me, I'm a BA high-flyer - look how important I am. After all, you don 't see many cabin bags with blue tags on, do you!?
I couldn't care less what anyone thought of me in having the tags on my bags. They are there as they identify the bag and can reunite it with me if lost, and nothing else. They sit on my bag that I take to work with me every day as well.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
The real knobs are those who leave the old design gold tags on their bags
Old Oct 24, 2008, 2:44 am
bel

Programs: BA Blue, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Lucifer UK
I couldn't care less what anyone thought of me in having the tags on my bags. They are there as they identify the bag and can reunite it with me if lost, and nothing else. They sit on my bag that I take to work with me every day as well.
I agree with Lucifer. All of my bags, including my laptop bag, are tagged. The tags I use are the brightest, most unusual I can find (very conspicuous). If anyone tries to walk away with my bags, they'll be easy to spot!

I hardly think my Victorinox luggage will be offended by being made to sport tacky tags.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:02 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by astralclouds
Speaking as one who spent many years working with mishandled and lost luggage at Heathrow, I'd say external bag tags are next to useless.
According to the guy who called me about my bag that had been displaced by BA for a few months from Christmas 2006, the bag was identified by my BAEC tag in the end. I'd say anything that improves the probability of getting a bag returned is worth it (even though it may not make much difference).
Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:04 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Originally Posted by Oil-man
The point of luggage tags is that if you put your luggage in the hold and it goes walkies, the tag will identify its owner.

So who puts their gold luggage tags on their cabin bags? Since this luggage is always with you, the only point to putting these gold tags on you cabin baggage is to say, look at me, I'm a BA high-flyer - look how important I am. After all, you don 't see many cabin bags with blue tags on, do you!?

So, are you a bit of a nob if you put your gold tags on your cabin bags?
I often travel with an old carry-on sized Samsonite - sometimes I carry it on, sometimes (when I have a bottle of something in it) I check it. There is a tag (Ag not Au) on it, which I do not remove and replace depending on the venue of my case. I hope I am not a (k)nob.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO, gold tags on hand baggage is just naff.

And back when I liked to behave in a naff way, using them did not achieve anything for me in the way of special treatment.

The real, real knobs are the people who still sport the old Blue tags.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 4:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Black What?

Now - my hairbrush is ready and willing for the next offender. This Forum does not have nobs. We have knobs - or rather you do - now you see once agasin HIDDY has me all hot and bothered with his inuendo.
and his split infinitives. Before this thread degenerates
It already has.......as soon as you appeared on the scene.

The sooner you get home from wandering around dodgy Far Eastern city streets at night the better.

Oh and yes, as you explained. I suspected the crew/groundstaff tagged the owner displaying their status in public with the label of "prat".
Old Oct 24, 2008, 5:04 am

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
It is a sad fact of life, it is a sorry fact of life but on certain routes in particular I would never ever put my bag anywhere that was not in my line of sight. Never. Good bye Bag or Good Bye contents or worse go to toilet with the bag - have a nice root through it and (if a handbag) dump it down the hand towel disposal. If it is at my feet - it is far less at risk. In CW this is far reduced and in F it is non exisitent - practically.
which routes?
Old Oct 24, 2008, 5:52 am

Programs: BA GGL
I'm afraid (sorry Pucci!) that I am also one of those who thinks gold cards on hand luggage looks a bit naff and poncey. Perhaps this is because there seems to be a correlation between those who do so and those who are self-important businesspeople who talk too loudly on their phone.

Now I accept that correlation does not equal causation, and there will be outliers in the data (some of the good people on this board) but still...
Old Oct 24, 2008, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
IMHO, gold tags on hand baggage is just naff.

And back when I liked to behave in a naff way, using them did not achieve anything for me in the way of special treatment.

The real, real knobs are the people who still sport the old Blue tags.
We do look out for them and there are times when I have found Golds in the wrong lines etc from seeing the tag on the cabin bag. It does annoy me though when it is out of date or not the bag users card. I tend to notice other carriers tags too and this can lead to chats about how the service compares etc and of course ensuring that we do well, so maybe not so naff?

It does cause a bit of grief though at the Lounge entrance when some people think that having the tag on the bag means they dont need to produce the actual card.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 5:56 am
Lux

I find that these are more distinctive/effective/rude.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.