Gold Luggage Tags on Cabin Baggage

Old Oct 23, 2008, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time

The point of luggage tags is that if you put your luggage in the hold and it goes walkies, the tag will identify its owner.

So who puts their gold luggage tags on their cabin bags? Since this luggage is always with you, the only point to putting these gold tags on you cabin baggage is to say, look at me, I'm a BA high-flyer - look how important I am. After all, you don 't see many cabin bags with blue tags on, do you!?

So, are you a bit of a nob if you put your gold tags on your cabin bags?

Last edited by Oil-man; Oct 23, 2008 at 2:45 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Oct 23, 2008, 2:54 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
I like to have a tag on all my luggage, even cabin luggage, just in case I set it down and walk away (however unlikely). I'm hoping that they'll look at the tag and call me rather than blow up my bag.

My platinum tags/gold tags/admirals club tags are easy to get on and off and since I've got them, why not use them. I'm hoping I'm not a nob.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 3:00 pm

The reason you wont find Blue tags is simple: There are no blue tags.

No, I dont tag my cabin bags because I don't need to show BA crew I am a status member. They know anyway I do however tag my checked luggage in case it could go missing.

I do always tag my carry-on(s) with one tag: The FT tag ^
For the simple reason that a fellow FT:er will likely spot it.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 3:04 pm
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
A bit, but the devil is in the details.

Placing a gold tag on your hold luggage often will ensure it's been given "special treatment" at London airports. Inverted commas not necessarily reflecting a positive function at that stage of the game, mind.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
Some time ago I had my gold tag on my hand luggage. There was a horrendous queue at security at T4. I was flying Y. I member of BA staff walking and up and down the queue noticed my tag and asked to see my BP, on which she stuck a fast track sticker.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 3:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Tags can be your friend. Being a bit of late boarder, I've been spared several times the ignominy of searching for the last remaining cc's of overhead space. Crews are usually very good at realising the impossible
Old Oct 23, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by Petrus
The reason you wont find Blue tags is simple: There are no blue tags.
Not any more, anyway. My dad has some from when they still issued them. Bless.

Anyway, how else am I supposed to make the silver card holders, who have their bags tagged, feel inferior?
Old Oct 23, 2008, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Oil-man
So, are you a bit of a nob if you put your gold tags on your cabin bags?
Well as I've almost taken someone else's bag from an overhead (it was identical to mine) it seems sensible enough to put something that might distinguish your bag from another. An elite flyer tag seems sensible enough...There are also those who say they've been cherry-picked from long lines by BA staff as a result of having gold tag dangling off luggage.

That said mine hides within a black leather Smythson BA Exec Club luggage tag holder. Lift flap for goldness...
Old Oct 23, 2008, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Teece
Not any more, anyway. My dad has some from when they still issued them. Bless.

Anyway, how else am I supposed to make the silver card holders, who have their bags tagged, feel inferior?
Not for long
Old Oct 23, 2008, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Au; IHG Pl; Hyatt Au; IC RA; Marriott Pl
I've made this point before, but here goes......

Speaking as one who spent many years working with mishandled and lost luggage at Heathrow, I'd say external bag tags are next to useless.

Anyone looking for a particular bag will be looking for the following luggage attributes in descending order of usefullness:

- Type and colour of bag - easy from a distance
- Flight tag (Airline, Flight Number, Tag Number, Name) - absolute confirmation
- If still unsure (which is unlikely), then a personal tag will help - if flight tag is missing (although most check-ins use secondary stickers these days)

In the case of cabin baggage, a simple distinguishing feature is all you need. I personally have a small plastic tie around the base of the handle.

However, as has been pointed out, blatant status displayed will generally have the opposite to desired effect. The best advice has always been to have your name and contact details easily accessible inside the bag - believe me there is no locking mechanism that is a barrier when dealing with mishandled bags (customs randomly need these bags opened on clearance).

My gold tags go straight in the dustbin whenever they arrive each year.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by astralclouds
My gold tags go straight in the dustbin whenever they arrive each year.
They send you new ones each year? Not here....
Old Oct 23, 2008, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Au; IHG Pl; Hyatt Au; IC RA; Marriott Pl
Originally Posted by Fraser
They send you new ones each year? Not here....
Up and down like a whore's drawers......
Old Oct 23, 2008, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Gold tags on cabin bags most certainly are for "show off" purposes only and don't believe otherwise........If I had a Gold tag it would most certainly be attached to my bag as soon as I received it without a doubt.

Can anyone confirm if it has the same design on both sides? I only ask as I had status with AF once upon a time and the bag tag was rather plain on one side and the all important logo with status was on the other side. Most infuriatingly it had a mind of it's own and always flipped itself over showing plain side up and I was forever having to make sure it was the right way up for posing purposes.

Gold tags on hold baggage is just asking for trouble.........Your bag will be a target for thieves or be used for a bit of slam dunk by the baggage handlers.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Can anyone confirm if it has the same design on both sides? I only ask as I had status with AF once upon a time and the bag tag was rather plain on one side and the all important logo with status was on the other side. Most infuriatingly it had a mind of it's own and always flipped itself over showing plain side up and I was forever having to make sure it was the right way up for posing purposes.
The underside is the same colour as the top but has 'Please return to the nearest BA baggage office' or words to that effect in a number of different languages. No personal info.

Originally Posted by astralclouds
Up and down like a whore's drawers......
OK, now I'm confused.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by Fraser

OK, now I'm confused.

Status up and down I am assuming

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.