Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did BA stop seat selection?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2008, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
What I would like to see is the Y cabin opened up for everyone at the time of booking with maybe just the usual few seats blocked off for Gold card holders just to keep them sweet for those times when they are paying their own fares and have to travel down the back.
HIDDY, I hope you had a great EZE do and glad to see you back in form.

Yes, most airlines allow seat selection in Y, so I don't understand why BA doesn't follow suit.

Last edited by macabus; Oct 19, 2008 at 7:02 am
Old Oct 19, 2008, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Far be it for me to argue with someone so certain in a conclusion reached without any facts.
Well, you're certainly not Sapphire. If you were Sapphire, you'd have access to seat pre-allocation in every cabin.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 3:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Far be it for me to argue with someone so certain in a conclusion reached without any facts.
How about you try and provide some facts to assert your claim that you are the sort of customer that BA would love to have....

Dave
(Who always flies in discount WHY, and is therefore no fan of BA or the BAEC).
Old Oct 19, 2008, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by harryhv
Daft. Let me know when they change their minds. Meanwhile I'll use other carriers.
as a QF Gold (OW Sapphire) your status enables you to select a seat so rather confused why your complaining.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by macabus
HIDDY, I hope you had a great EZE do and glad to see you back in form.

Yes, most airlines allow seat selection in Y, so I don't understand why BA doesn't follow suit.
A good mini Do unfortunately spoilt by the fact my fellow FT'er was a victim of an attempted mugging on Ave Santa Fe after we said our farewells.

No idea why BA hold on to the Y seats for ordinary passengers, I can see no logic in it at all.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
No idea why BA hold on to the Y seats for ordinary passengers, I can see no logic in it at all.
I think I can. Can you imagine the squeals from "premium" passengers if they allowed pre-assignment in Y but not W, J or F? The script would be along the lines of "How can it possibly be that I've paid twice / five times / ten times (*delete as appropriate) more than the people in Y but I'm getting less benefits?"

I think you said earlier there's no perfect solution.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 9:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
A good mini Do unfortunately spoilt by the fact my fellow FT'er was a victim of an attempted mugging on Ave Santa Fe after we said our farewells.
Was he ok and hopefully they didn't get hurt/lose much?
Old Oct 19, 2008, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by bernardd
I think I can. Can you imagine the squeals from "premium" passengers if they allowed pre-assignment in Y but not W, J or F? The script would be along the lines of "How can it possibly be that I've paid twice / five times / ten times (*delete as appropriate) more than the people in Y but I'm getting less benefits?"

I think you said earlier there's no perfect solution.
The solution is to allow seat selection for all classes.

I have never encountered another airline where I couldn't pre-select seats.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Ryanair, Easyjet, etc. You can't even check-in and select a seat on those. Same for domestic AY flights.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by frankvb
Ryanair, Easyjet, etc. You can't even check-in and select a seat on those. Same for domestic AY flights.
I meant REAL airlines... With the exception of AY of course.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6

Well try WN then - that's as good if not better than AA in coach!

The BA solution works well for the group of passengers that I suspect generate a large percentage of BA profit. By contrast a last minute purchase of a very expensive full fare ticket on AA frequently leads to a lousy seat. I know which I prefer.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC

It's well known that QF also don't allow seat selection on domestic flights and instead you have to play the status/fare class lottery. A quick search against the QF forum will reveal all.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I meant REAL airlines
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
It's well known that QF also don't allow seat selection on domestic flights and instead you have to play the status/fare class lottery. A quick search against the QF forum will reveal all.
I was going to point to QF as an example as well. Although the percentage may have changed more recently, the last time I heard, on long-haul flights the pre-allocation percentage was 25%. Once the flight had reached that (ie quite quickly), then it might as well be an airline that doesn't allow pre-allocation of seats.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

One side effect of BA's seating policy, with weekend domestic travel there doesn't seem to be the critical mass of elites flying anymore, thus when I am seated at the forward bulkhead looking at my boarding pass, C now seems to signify creche class.

I don't mean any disrespect to FTer's travelling with young families, but my ears are still bleeding following this afternoon's BA1452.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BA1A
Was he ok and hopefully they didn't get hurt/lose much?
Like a true Scot he fought off the mugger whilst hanging on to his Nikon. Fortunately, apart from a few bruises no other injuries were sustained.^

Unfortunately, in his rush to get away from a good battering, the mugger just avoided being run over by inches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.