Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did BA stop seat selection?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2008, 6:58 am

One frustration with the current system is that it makes little discrimination between passengers who are very particular about where they sit and those who simply do not care. Offered the option of selecting a seat, most people will do so, but whether they would have minded a different or "worse" seat is quite another thing.

I mind very much where I sit and knowing that this has been sorted out used to give me a valuable sense of security. With the current policy, I must be prepared to have no idea at all until 24 hours before flying, at which point I must ensure I rush to a computer and make a decision very fast - and this is only if the airport supports online check-in in the first place! That this is partly to accommodate those people who have chosen seats because of their status or fare but in fact really don't mind where they sit is an annoyance, and the 24-hours-in-advance antics always interfere with my time abroad.

It would be silly to imagine BA providing passengers with a check-box marked "I care passionately about seating preferences" but the current system could still be improved.

I would prefer the ability to select a seat when I book, even if my choice of seats at that time were limited with the rest open to passengers with status or paying expensive fares and put up for selection by the masses only later. I could then at least choose a seat that met my requirements and feel confident that this much had been secured, while those who have higher status or who book on more expensive fares could still be offered 'better' seats first.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The real issue with the policy, and an unintended consequence, is the lack of seats side by side.

Most Silver and Gold card holders are solo business travellers. When they select a seat, they for a row with no-one else on it and plonk themselves down, thinking that if they are lucky then that seat could remain empty and they won't (in CW) have to stare at or clamber over someone else. You therefore only need a relatively small % of the cabin to preselect seats to get to a stage at -24hrs where there are few window pairs available.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
He's constantly on the run. Mostly after me.
Are you sure that isn't "Mostly from me"?
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
That is exactly one of the problems with BA's policy.
Now I'm .

The BA policy means that at T-24, you get a largely wide-open seat map with lots to choose from. The very best seats are gone to the higher tier FFs, of course, but that would be similar with any airline that does any pre-allocation. The BA policy can't make that any worse. IME, when checking in family members who do not have the status to pre-allocate, the current seating policy usually gets them better seats than were available under the previous "anything goes" policy, which IMHO was disastrous.

It may be different in J and F, but on any realistic view there are very few bad seats in J and no bad seats in F.

What the BA policy does is (a) stop people pulling "first come first served" stunts, which are almost always inappropriate in the context of the airline industry; and (b) fail to assuage the feelings of those who can't cope with uncertainty.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Raffles
The real issue with the policy, and an unintended consequence, is the lack of seats side by side.

Most Silver and Gold card holders are solo business travellers. When they select a seat, they for a row with no-one else on it and plonk themselves down, thinking that if they are lucky then that seat could remain empty and they won't (in CW) have to stare at or clamber over someone else. You therefore only need a relatively small % of the cabin to preselect seats to get to a stage at -24hrs where there are few window pairs available.
This has not proven to be the case IME. As I nearly always can get 10AB or 10JK on a 777 (depending on whether it's a day or night flight), I invariably find the 'unfilled' seat is taken by another card holder. This is because they're seen as the best seats and people pick them even when other seats are free. The UD is similar. And I've even done it myself - picked 10A with 10B occupied on a night flight as it's nice and snug, even when 11AB were showing free in MMB. I don't have to look at or engage with the person next to me. Screen goes up. Bed goes down. Bye bye.

What amuses me about these threads are the 'swathes' of people leaving BA for other carriers they can select seats on. Until the general sh!t hit the fan over past months worldwide, BA's loads/$$ didn't seem to have suffered too much from a policy that has been in place for many, many months now - more than enough to shake out "oh I booked before the policy and had no choice but to stick with the booking" I didn't get that sense (either on board or from posted results) in premium cabins. And in WT I suspect a large number of pax would sell their soul for a 5 quid discount on their holiday, never mind their ability to pre-select a seat - such is the "I want the lowest headline price and damn the extras, I'll moan later" mentality the likes of FR have managed to breed. If you want the race to the bottom you can't have it all ways - and in that light, great for BA to protect the 'premium' pax in Y with proven loyalty or on full fare tickets for work (poor sods).

Last edited by G-BOAC; Oct 12, 2008 at 7:46 am
Old Oct 12, 2008, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
The BA policy means that at T-24, you get a largely wide-open seat map with lots to choose from. The very best seats are gone to the higher tier FFs, of course, but that would be similar with any airline that does any pre-allocation. The BA policy can't make that any worse. IME, when checking in family members who do not have the status to pre-allocate, the current seating policy usually gets them better seats than were available under the previous "anything goes" policy, which IMHO was disastrous.

It may be different in J and F, but on any realistic view there are very few bad seats in J and no bad seats in F.

What the BA policy does is (a) stop people pulling "first come first served" stunts, which are almost always inappropriate in the context of the airline industry; and (b) fail to assuage the feelings of those who can't cope with uncertainty.
I'd agree it is different in J and F given the density of elite members. I am already a broken record on this subject, but my flight to SIN - 1 week out - has just one window seat left, and the only pairs are either EF or FG.

How could it be better? Somewhere back to where it was, with a free for all preallocation up to a limit, elites up to another limit and the really good seats held back for OLCI. That would suit me better, but I accept that whatever is put in place is going to annoy someone.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I doubt that any system is perfect to be honest.

No matter which airline I have flown with.....all with different seating policies. I always see a stream of people pestering the gate agents for a change of seats.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:10 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Lot of different groups to try and please with a seat selection policy. Elites. Premium cabin flyers. Full fare / flex ticket holders. Families / group bookings. Those who book their tickets early. Those who book their tickets late and pay a load extra for it.

In terms of the really desirable seats, there are only a handful on every plane and invariably there are more people who want to sit in them with decent-ish reasons for getting them than seats available... so invariably some people are going to be disappointed.

I do agree though, at T-24, for WT and WT+, you do tend to get a largely open seat map, and in my pre-Silver days I never had issue getting a half decent seat - even if it did mean rushing to the computer at some unearthly hour. The system perhaps falls down a little with connecting flights that you're not able to check in for when you're in the air at T-24.

For J/F, it's clearly more of an issue due to density of elite members, and if you're booking late on busy, elite-heavy routes, you're probably not getting the seat you want. But are there really any terrible seats in these cabins? I'm really not that bothered where I end up.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:35 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kered
That’s all very well & good, for the outbound leg of the journey.

But how are you supposed to OLCI on the return ?

Spend the last day of your holidays frantically trying to get access to some computer somewhere ??

Just so you can get a seat assigned & not risk having yourself & your partner split up on the return flight. Or end up in crappy, bottom of the pile seats.

I don’t think so

Exactly what I’m doing & loving every minute of it

As many people have posted, there are plenty of locations these days where you can get easy access to a PC in most cities. But that is not really necessary - if you have a half-decent mobile phone that has a good browser you can use that to check-in online. In 5 minutes you will have completed check-in and you can do it pretty much anywhere.

OK. You will have to pay roaming data charges, but if it's that important to you I don't see it as being an issue.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If you don't like it fly with someone else who offer better.
That's what I do but only if flying in economy long haul.
No seat booking has been excellent for me on my Y longhaul, between op ups, a couple of W bookings and t-24 checkins (and at time t-8 or so)I've not had a non 'enhanced'* Y seat in about 16 flights

*row 26 on a 777

I could never get that row when I could preselect a seat as they were never available
Old Oct 12, 2008, 2:51 pm
Gaz

Originally Posted by gms
OK. You will have to pay roaming data charges, but if it's that important to you I don't see it as being an issue.
Having one done this (for 4 people) I would NOT recommend it. Vodafone's bargainious roaming data charges at the time (£8/mb) meant checking in for the flight cost me more than the ticket itself.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by Gaz
......even if it did mean rushing to the computer at some unearthly hour. ........
Which is one of the objections I have with the policy.

Having to be at a computer at exactly -24hr in order to get your seat. When other carriers allow you to have this done at the time of booking.

It's additional hassle I can do without, given the already fraught experience air travel & airports are these days.

Originally Posted by Gaz
....... But are there really any terrible seats in these cabins? I'm really not that bothered where I end up.
The E & F seats in CW on a 744 or 777 spring to mind

Originally Posted by gms
......OK. You will have to pay roaming data charges, but if it's that important to you I don't see it as being an issue.......
It is that important to me, but I've chosen to fly other carriers, rather than deal with BA's new policy.

Originally Posted by Gaz
Having one done this (for 4 people) I would NOT recommend it. Vodafone's bargainious roaming data charges at the time (£8/mb) meant checking in for the flight cost me more than the ticket itself.
Oh I hear you there ^

I'm just back from NYC & had my iPhone it's inaugural foreign trip. When I got home I had a message waiting from O2 about data roaming. Turns out, my very helpful & impressive iPhone just cost me Eur500.00 + VAT for a touch over 100Mb's of data in the States

iPhone stays at home from now on

But just to get back on topic here for a minute………

BA’s seating policy really used rile me up & I’ve written volumes on here about it. But TBH I don’t care much anymore. While I think it’s a totally stupid policy, I appreciate that it suits other passengers very well indeed & that’s great for them.

But it doesn’t suit me, as I really like to have my seat assignments set in advance, particularly having shelled out thousands on a premium cabin flight. So I’ve moved away from BA & travel with other carriers now. Somewhat of a loss for BA, but I’m quite sure they won’t go belly up, having lost my two or three CW round trips a year.

But as the old saying goes.... "Every cloud has a silver lining"

The flip side of the seating policy having driven me away from BA, is that it has opened up all sorts of new travel experiences for myself & “Mrs Kered” & only for it, we wouldn’t have experienced the joys of the LGW & LHR Virgin Clubhouses this year.

The way I look on it now, is that life is to short to get worked up about BA not allowing us choose our seats in advance. So we’re just getting on with our travels, enjoying the fresh experiences & counting our lucky stars that we are in the very privileged position to fly in premium cabins on our holidays ^

Last edited by kered; Oct 12, 2008 at 3:42 pm
Old Oct 12, 2008, 4:07 pm
Gaz

Originally Posted by kered
Having to be at a computer at exactly -24hr in order to get your seat. When other carriers allow you to have this done at the time of booking.

It's additional hassle I can do without, given the already fraught experience air travel & airports are these days.
The system is very heavily weighted towards Silver / Golds.

I don't know, the system could prob change in some way perhaps to help out non-Elites, perhaps a certain amount of assignable seats, but when they're gone, they're gone... leaving the rest for Silver/Golds booking late, and then T-24. But I would hate a pure 'first come first served' system where even elites booking late can't get a decent seat.

The E & F seats in CW on a 744 or 777 spring to mind
They're not great, agreed, but at least you can stretch out and sleep... not comparable to a middle seat in WT

I'm just back from NYC & had my iPhone it's inaugural foreign trip. When I got home I had a message waiting from O2 about data roaming. Turns out, my very helpful & impressive iPhone just cost me Eur500.00 + VAT for a touch over 100Mb's of data in the States
My bill from Portual was in the region of £600 for data, which would suggest 80mb. Pretty sure I did nothing in that region but Vodafone were sure. All I'd done was checked me+friends in for our flights. After calling up with a bit of nicely put DYKWIA (my bills are pretty massive anyway), they knocked it down to £100.

BA’s seating policy really used rile me up & I’ve written volumes on here about it. But TBH I don’t care much anymore. While I think it’s a totally stupid policy, I appreciate that it suits other passengers very well indeed & that’s great for them.

But it doesn’t suit me, as I really like to have my seat assignments set in advance, particularly having shelled out thousands on a premium cabin flight. So I’ve moved away from BA & travel with other carriers now. Somewhat of a loss for BA, but I’m quite sure they won’t go belly up, having lost my two or three CW round trips a year.

But as the old saying goes.... "Every cloud has a silver lining"

The flip side of the seating policy having driven me away from BA, is that it has opened up all sorts of new travel experiences for myself & “Mrs Kered” & only for it, we wouldn’t have experienced the joys of the LGW & LHR Virgin Clubhouses this year.

The way I look on it now, is that life is to short to get worked up about BA not allowing us choose our seats in advance. So we’re just getting on with our travels, enjoying the fresh experiences & counting our lucky stars that we are in the very privileged position to fly in premium cabins on our holidays ^
A very good attitude to have. I did a similar thing when I missed out on UA Premier Executive (think that's what it's called) by a tiny amount of miles, despite the fact I'd flown 5,000 miles the day before the year started, and 5,000 the day after it ended. Just got caught out with their stinking calendar year system - which I'm sure works great for the people on there. Anyway, they wouldn't waive it for me, so jumped ship to AC which has a much more modest requirement for *Gold and now very rarely fly UA.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 5:56 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Almost reluctant to mention it, but does anybody else here think that after W.W's comments about "added value," it is only a question of time before BA allow seat assignments, at least in Y, for a fee?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 12:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
I find these threads somewhat amusing. All the talk about the reasoning behind the policy. Lets face it, each and every one of us wants the policy that suits our specific needs - we're all self-centred and selfish in this respect.

My travel patterns (I rarely need to change flights so its more economical for me to book non tier point flights) and the fact I run a small business that couldn't afford to book full fare flex as standard anyway, means that I am a lowly Blue. In saying that, I spend a fair amount of money on BA on business and holidays as well.

On my current holiday to Orlando I have been struggling to explain to my wife why when we have spent 7.5k on CW for us and 2 kids, we don't know where we will be sitting - in theory it could be apart from the kids. I know, I know, BA will do everything they can to ensure kids sit with parents but they certaily would not guarantee that.

As has been said previously in this thread, I could do without all the last minute seating hassle when on holiday with the family (on the business domestic flights I don't really care where I sit).

One thing I know is that our yearly CW holiday flights will probably move from BA from next year and I am more likely to tavel on business with other carriers more suited to my circumstances.

Its simple, I am not BAs target customer so they don't cater for me as much. The fact they will lose my business will, I'm sure, be built into their business plan.

So, me moving from BA is good for me and fits with the BA business plan which I'm sure has a built in non status passenger attrition rate.

I am not one of these 'I'll never travel with BA again'. I generally like BA and if my circumstances change or the BA policy changes then I would certainly start using them more.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:12 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by florida2000
On my current holiday to Orlando I have been struggling to explain to my wife why when we have spent 7.5k on CW for us and 2 kids, we don't know where we will be sitting - in theory it could be apart from the kids. I know, I know, BA will do everything they can to ensure kids sit with parents but they certaily would not guarantee that.

As has been said previously in this thread, I could do without all the last minute seating hassle when on holiday with the family (on the business domestic flights I don't really care where I sit).
On the subject of kids, don't forget that if you are traveling with an infant, you can choose your seat (or rather, pick from the seats that an infant can share) when you book.

If you are traveling with children aged 2-11, then you can select your seat 3 days before travel

Take a look: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...y/public/en_gb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.