FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Why did BA stop seat selection? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/875034-why-did-ba-stop-seat-selection.html)

mrdisco Oct 11, 2008 4:36 am

Why did BA stop seat selection?

Was it a cost saving thing? I can't imagine how it saves them money. It's something I always look for when booking flights- can I select my seat at time of booking? Do BA have any plans to re-introduce this for a normal booking (i.e. not full fare)?

adrianjc32 Oct 11, 2008 4:42 am

It was to make OLCI advantageous at -24. The policy has dramatically increased the amount of customers who checkin at home and print their own boarding pass.

Echo J Oct 11, 2008 4:42 am

To increase the value of full-fare tickets and elite status perhaps?

Globaliser Oct 11, 2008 5:09 am

And, presumably, also to stop the fragmenting of the seat map which you tend to get when you have nearly unrestricted pre-allocation.

Cap'n Benj Oct 11, 2008 5:29 am

Originally Posted by adrianjc32 (Post 10503737)
It was to make OLCI advantageous at -24. The policy has dramatically increased the amount of customers who checkin at home and print their own boarding pass.

Very true, I never used to bother, Im on t-24 on the dot now

blawson Oct 11, 2008 6:32 am

Why don't they consider borrowing an idea from cruise ships where you can guarantee yourself a level of cabin but not actually choose one. If any upgrades are going - your given priority.

i.e.

Gold / Silver - can choose their own seat as per current practice and also given priority if upgrades are required.

Blue - allow you to either choose your seat or not to choose your seat. If you choose your seat - you will be after gold, silvers and other blues (who chose to "gamble") and any other passengers should upgrades be needed.

G-BOAC Oct 11, 2008 6:56 am

Oh for the love of God, how many threads/debates on this? :rolleyes: They have not stopped seat selection. www.ba.com/seating explains it all. A search will reveal argument after argument after argument - none of them new - on this topic.

HIDDY Oct 11, 2008 7:21 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC (Post 10503962)
Oh for the love of God, how many threads/debates on this? :rolleyes: They have not stopped seat selection. www.ba.com/seating explains it all. A search will reveal argument after argument after argument - none of them new - on this topic.

Ah that's the effect of too much JW Black kicking in.....frayed nerves,lack of patience and understancing. :D

BA's seating policy?

If you don't like it fly with someone else who offer better.
That's what I do but only if flying in economy long haul.

G-BOAC Oct 11, 2008 7:26 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 10504019)
understancing

Sure you've not been at the sauce yourself, HIDDY? PUCCI drove you to it? Blaming other people for your drinking habits... :D :D

harryhv Oct 11, 2008 7:34 am

Originally Posted by mrdisco (Post 10503734)
Was it a cost saving thing? I can't imagine how it saves them money. It's something I always look for when booking flights- can I select my seat at time of booking? Do BA have any plans to re-introduce this for a normal booking (i.e. not full fare)?

Daft. Let me know when they change their minds. Meanwhile I'll use other carriers.

vla Oct 11, 2008 7:37 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 10504019)
If you don't like it fly with someone else who offer better.
That's what I do but only if flying in economy long haul.

You actually travel? :confused: I thought you just posted here. :p

HIDDY Oct 11, 2008 7:55 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC (Post 10504034)
Sure you've not been at the sauce yourself, HIDDY? PUCCI drove you to it? Blaming other people for your drinking habits... :D :D

So far only coffee today.

I blame the typo on the approaching storm making me rush as I have to bring the washing in before it hits. PUCCI will love to hear that. :D

Originally Posted by vla (Post 10504063)
You actually travel? :confused: I thought you just posted here. :p

:D

kered Oct 11, 2008 8:07 am

Originally Posted by adrianjc32 (Post 10503737)

That’s all very well & good, for the outbound leg of the journey.

But how are you supposed to OLCI on the return ?

Spend the last day of your holidays frantically trying to get access to some computer somewhere ??

Just so you can get a seat assigned & not risk having yourself & your partner split up on the return flight. Or end up in crappy, bottom of the pile seats.

I don’t think so :td:

Originally Posted by harryhv
Daft. Let me know when they change their minds. Meanwhile I'll use other carriers.

Exactly what I’m doing & loving every minute of it :cool:

Radioman Oct 11, 2008 8:08 am

:p I suggest you take a copy of what you have said and keep it in a handy file so you can cut and paste it for the next time the subject is raised ....:D

Roger Oct 11, 2008 8:12 am

Oh for the love of God, how many threads/debates on this? :rolleyes:

Never fails to rankle, does it? :D

The fact is while the policy may be familiar to us smoothies, it is NOT familiar to the good and great outside our community, who find it inexplicable.

There is a way to stop the questions, of course ...