Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Diamond Club (ex-bmi) Credit Cards- AMEX, Small Business Visa and defunct Mastercard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Club (ex-bmi) Credit Cards- AMEX, Small Business Visa and defunct Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there still a bonus for adding the MC and splitting credit limits? Will it trigger another credit search? I'd think not if you are splitting.
Old May 31, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, SK*G, BD*S, FB Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Would someone mind confirming that crediting the Paypal topup card is still treated as a purchase? I know this was the case a few months ago but just checking before I apply for one and transfer the cash.

Thanks.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
I recently got the BMI Amex Premium card ... As suggested above right after my 2nd statement the 24,000 destination miles posted no problem ... but no sign of the 3000 status miles as yet .. is this normal ?
For what it's worth the 3000 status miles posted about 4 days later than the 24,000 destination miles .. so it seems to post pretty quickly
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by andIRL
Would someone mind confirming that crediting the Paypal topup card is still treated as a purchase? I know this was the case a few months ago but just checking before I apply for one and transfer the cash.

Thanks.
Working fine on my normal Amex as of last week!
Old Jul 4, 2010, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have updated the first post of this thread to reflect the recent developments with the cards and with DC.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Important changes to your bmi plus American Express Credit Card from MBNA

Originally Posted by MBNA

Dear Traveloguy

Important changes to your bmi plus American Express Credit Card from MBNA

Were sending you an email to let you know about a change to your annual card fee plus some great new benefits and a special spend bonus promotion which were adding to your bmi plus Credit Card.

As a result of the upgrades to your benefits package, with effect from 1 August 2010 the annual card fee on your account will be increased to 85 per year.

The new and improved benefits, which also take effect from 1 August 2010, include:

New and Upgraded Benefits

* 4,000 Status miles
After 1 August 2010 you will receive 4,000 status miles each year after the annual fee has been debited to your account. Thats a quarter of the way to Silver membership.*
* 2 bmi lounge passes
After 1 August 2010 you will also receive two bmi lounge passes each year after the annual fee has been debited to your account. These are valid for one year from the date of issue and can be used by you, or you and a guest.

Spend bonus
Were offering an easy way to collect miles faster so youll be able to reward yourself with flights or treats even sooner. If you spend 6,000 on your card between 1 August 2010 and 31 January 2011 then youll collect an extra 5,000 destinations miles spend bonus**.

Dont forget youll also earn 4 destinations miles for every 1 you spend on your card at flybmi.com and 2 destinations miles for every 1 spent elsewhere from everyday grocery shopping to dining, holidays and treats. And because your bmi Credit Card is an American Express Card, you have access to exclusive offers and discounts. Visit www.amexnetwork.co.uk to find out more.

What happens next?
You dont need to do anything. The changes are effective from 1 August 2010 and your status miles will be applied to your Diamond Club account on an annual basis every year once the annual fee for the bmi plus credit card has been debited to your account.

Kind Regards

Keeley Downing signature
Keeley Downing
Diamond Club Manager
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:35 am

Programs: BD*G
yeah, I got that too. Wonder if the 'free' status miles will continue when we are M&M or if that will disappear and the cost remain at 85....2 lounge passes not worth much if you have a gold card anyway. I can already access the lounge and a guest too...
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Trust me to update the sticky, after 14 months, the day before a major announcement!!

Increasing the status miles is a little odd in the face of LH's plans for DC, though.

For average users who don't need the status miles, it may be worth downgrading. You need to spend a lot - 12,000+ - to justify 85 in return for an additional 0.5 miles per 1 of spend. See my calculations in the first post.

Last edited by Raffles; Jul 5, 2010 at 3:47 am
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Raffles
Trust me to update the sticky, after 14 months, the day before a major announcement!!

Increasing the status miles is a little odd in the face of LH's plans for DC, though.
Agree, although perhaps BD/LH want to ensure people don't jump ship. At the end of the day, the UK is a big potential market for LH and the last thing that it will want to do is to antagonise customers. I expect this will be the first of many announcements to try and sweeten the deal.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)

It is, but as I only have a Mastercard at the moment and have 8,000 status miles to plan in before the end of November and hardly any time (or money!) to do them, then 4k will do nicely.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Something similar for Ms Raffles, who has the free card but never uses it. Not sure how we are going to use this as she spends very little on her own and our hols will be over by 1 August, but we'll think of something!

"Collect miles faster with your bmi American Express Credit Card from MBNA

We’re writing to you to let you know about a new spend bonus promotion, so you’ll be able to reward yourself with flights or treats even sooner with Diamond Club.

If you spend 2,500 on your card between 1 August 2010 and 31 January 2011 then you will earn a 2,500 destinations miles spend bonus*.

What happens next?
It’s simple, we start to calculate your card purchases from 1 August 2010 for 6 months and if you reach the spend target we will credit your Diamond Club account with 2,500 destinations miles.*"
Old Jul 5, 2010, 5:09 am

Programs: Carlson Club Concierge, BAEC Gold, LH M&M *S, Marco Polo Gold
May be worth holding for bonus

For average users who don't need the status miles, it may be worth downgrading. You need to spend a lot - 12,000+ - to justify 85 in return for an additional 0.5 miles per 1 of spend. See my calculations in the first post.
May be worth holding on just for the first year if you can make the 6,000 spend for the 5,000 miles bonus: Spend 6,000 @ 0.5 mile supplement and 1.5p per mile = 45, add 5,000 miles @1.5p (75) makes 120 of value for 85. Without the 5,000 bonus I will be getting rid of it.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The 4k may be useful this year as I aim to hit my 38k again just in case the M&M transition is later than we think. But after that, I don't see any value in the card even if we get transferred to a M&M one. I have no chance of requalifying for SEN on current travel patterns once we all get assimilated. So even if we were to get M&M status miles on a new card it wouldn't be of much use.

Odd timing though, as any changes to DC partner arrangements are well on the road to mootville.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA*G, former BD*LG :-(
Originally Posted by CheeseToastie
well on the road to mootville.
The latest BMI destination
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:24 am

Programs: BD *G, Tufty Club - crossing the road is far more dangerous than flying
If you spend 2,500 on your card between 1 August 2010 and 31 January 2011 then you will earn a 2,500 destinations miles spend bonus*.
Good to see BMI are sticky to their random prize system. I was offered the following:

Spend bonus
Were offering an easy way to collect miles faster so youll be able to reward yourself with flights or treats even sooner. If you spend 6,000 on your card between 1 August 2010 and 31 January 2011 then youll collect an extra 5,000 destinations miles spend bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.