Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bangkok to Newcastle with BA, No Economy from Doha

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok to Newcastle with BA, No Economy from Doha

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2024, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by malct
It seems that i get different results from different sites, But looking at Premium on BA on Youtube, It seems worth it if i am looking at the correct package with a better meal and good seats , So for £800 return, Its about the going rate but the return will be better for a decent sleep

If you’re not familiar with nor flown BA premium economy (AKA World Traveller Plus, WTP) then it’s a nice step up from economy to be mild, in my opinion it’s a big step up but it’s subjective. You get far more leg room, much nicer food (a main dish from business), the window seats are a pair so great for couples or a solo flyer. You can sleep slightly better with more room overall but WTP is great for day flights.

If the fare difference for both legs of the entire itinerary is only £100 then take it as that’s very good value. You won’t get an upgrade offer for that. So most on here would say take it!

WTP earns you 90 tier points which is a nice start to earn on BAEC, plus the rest of the journey which might net you a total of 90 + 20 + 5/10 one way. 300 tier points gets you BA Bronze, 600 will get you Silver. You can go on the FT journey of earning TPs but it’s a slippery slope and you’ll soon find yourself wanting to keep Bronze or Silver or maybe even reach for Gold!!

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Apr 24, 2024 at 3:36 am
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
If you’re not familiar with nor flown BA premium economy (AKA World Traveller Plus, WTP) then it’s a nice step up from economy to be mild, in my opinion it’s a big step up but it’s subjective. You get far more leg room, much nicer food (a main dish from business), the window seats are a pair so great for couples or a solo flyer. You can sleep slightly better with more room overall but WTP is great for day flights.

If the fare difference for both legs of the entire itinerary is only £100 then take it as that’s very good value. You won’t get an upgrade offer for that. So most on here would say take it!

WTP earns you 90 tier points which is a nice start to earn on BAEC, plus the rest of the journey which might net you a total of 90 + 20 + 5/10 one way. 300 tier points gets you BA Bronze, 600 will get you Silver. You can go on the FT journey of earning TPs but it’s a slippery slope and you’ll soon find yourself wanting to keep Bronze or Silver or maybe even reach for Gold!!
I used to be gold on Emirates just by booking the cheaper seats until they changed the way they gave out miles and halved the amount of miles earnt and yes, Its all about maintaining status , At the time, Etihad matched my Emirates status for free just when my Emirates were demoting me back to silver. Emirates was great , I was travelling to Thailand 5 times a year and i was upgraded to Business on most flights once i became Silver and gold and every 5 flight was a free flight

Regards BA Premium, Its just a shame that they are asking for £50 each to select seats, I am travelling with my wife, So i am hoping that they assign the 2 seats near to the window if i do book with them . It will be a nice surprise for my wife
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Having done many many WTP flights over the years its very unlikely you'll be allocated a window pair or they'll even be available as by OLCI they're usually gone and more likely well before.

GGLs/Golds/Silvers, Bronzes and their oneworld equivalents will have reserved them.

Personally I'd pay to reserve them but if you don't then you may well have little choice left or end up in the middle middle 2 seats of 4 which isn't desirable really.

It's the case with BA they charge for seats for thosexwith no status as it leaves potentially decent seats for BA/OW frequent flyers to choose from. This has been debated numerous times over the years and i think its the right policy but others will disagree which of course is their right to do so as its been a 'hot' topic many a time.

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Apr 24, 2024 at 5:03 am
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Premium looks good.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:23 am

OP you seem very unfamiliar with the concept of premium economy so I will reiterate what others have said.
1. £100 is an absolute bargain to upgrade from Y even on just one leg of your journey- I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to take it.
2.Since you are travelling as a couple I would strongly recommend paying for a window pair asap (at time of booking?) as in my experience there is less than a 1% chance that any window pair will be available come OLCI.
DiamondMile likes this.

Last edited by Streisand; Apr 25, 2024 at 12:42 am
Old Apr 25, 2024, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply, Regards not understanding the concept, Its not clear on the BA website what your getting , It states that if you book a Premium flight, You get extra Baggage allowance of 2 X 23KG and then if you read on the information when getting a price, It states Check Qatar for Luggage allowance which states 25KG

Regards Qatar not having Premium, They do have Preferred seating on their flights which is either in the Front or upper floor. ( These do come available free of charge during OLCI ) Which i take advantage off .

Regards the Avios points, Booking the premium just gives you the same amount of points if you book the Economy seats

Ideally i would prefer to book the whole Journey in Premium at a Cost of £1050 return, I have noticed that BA have a sale on , But these flights are not in the sale unless booking a direct flight from Heathrow to Doha

Qatar are also doing offers with Promo codes that only reduce the price by a few pounds even though i have 12% off Codes but they do offer a great cancelation deal or change a flight deal which if you book Via a 3rd Party likes of Trip , You would not get a deal like it

See below

Economy Classic

£452

Total for all passengers
Select fare
Earn 3,317 AviosBenefits and fees per adult passenger
Flexibility to make 1 change Cancellation within 24hrs of booking without fees Checked baggage: 25 kg Hand baggage: 1 piece, 7 kg

Online-exclusive benefits

Cancel within 24 hours without fees

For your peace of mind, update your travel plans at no cost.

Enjoy more travel flexibility

Book on qatarairways.com or our mobile app to take full control of your travel plans. Modify your travel dates and more depending on the fare conditions.

All in all, The BA is way better value with Qatar coming in at £775 and BA with Premium at £20.....

Hopefully i will get it booked in the next couple of days and regards Window seat , I might book a window seat for myself with the hope that they will seat my wife next to me , But it does state on BA website that you can contact them and try and get seats together

Also regarding seats , Your unable to select seats on the Qatar Leg and you need to contact them directly,, Qatar Check in opens 48 hours before departure

I know that i am querying a few things, That's because of the Qatar flights on the bookings and the way BA are wording a few things
Old Apr 25, 2024, 9:59 am

Thank you for your reply, Regards not understanding the concept, Its not clear on the BA website what your getting , It states that if you book a Premium flight, You get extra Baggage allowance of 2 X 23KG and then if you read on the information when getting a price, It states Check Qatar for Luggage allowance which states 25KG

Regards Qatar not having Premium, They do have Preferred seating on their flights which is either in the Front or upper floor. ( These do come available free of charge during OLCI ) Which i take advantage off .

Regards the Avios points, Booking the premium just gives you the same amount of points if you book the Economy seats
• What is it you’re not clear on? May I offer some insight in World Traveller Plus you will get 38” of seat pitch. About 7” more to stretch out than Economy. A 12” screen vs 10” a middle cocktail table between seats. It’s a smaller cabin too, typically just 5 or so rows.

• 23KG x 2 vs 1 for Economy. Do you need the extra 2kg from Qatar?

• I haven’t flown Qatar but having a seat in the front of Economy doesn’t excite me any more than being in the middle or back! It sounds like Ryanair or EasyJet who allow you to pay to be nearer the front! BA WTP is a separate cabin ahead of Economy.

• Avios are different to Tier points. The key with WTP is the Tier points, you would earn 90 points one way vs 35 in economy. If you haven’t earned Avios before this flight, I wouldn’t focus on how many you’ll earn or what value they hold. There is an earning difference between WTP and Economy but as I say it’s not worth focusing on if starting at zero. The value from this trip would be the Tier points if it’s a return flight in WTP and Economy, you’d be comfortably over 2/3rds of the way to achieving bronze.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Regards Baggage It states on BA that if you book Premium then it doubles your allowance from 23KG to 46KG but then you read to check Qatar baggage rules. I can see my wife taking advantage of the extra luggage ...

I fully understand what your saying about the seats on Qatar, I certainly would not pay to get a preferred seat , But Booking through BA and one of your flights with Qatar, I don't think that you have a option to select your seat..

I understand that the only way to get a decent seat on BA is to pay because they assign a seat to you and if you want to move somewhere else , Then you have to pay during Check in even though it says free seat selection 24 hours before check in..

So when you ask, What is not clear , I am reading one think and then it contradicts itself

Regards Avios Points , I have 1500 which i received when i flew with Qatar last year which is worth £100 off a flight , Not sure how many points you need for selecting a seat with BA, I have joined BA and Qatar membership, So i can earn and use points on both airlines

I would have booked the flights by now, But just waiting for my travel insurance getting sorted out, My policy runs out soon and i am waiting for my Renewal,, I should have had the quote last week and I always like to be fully covered before paying for flights
Old Apr 25, 2024, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star

Regards Avios Points , I have 1500 which i received when i flew with Qatar last year which is worth £100 off a flight , Not sure how many points you need for selecting a seat with BA, I have joined BA and Qatar membership, So i can earn and use points on both airlines

I would have booked the flights by now, But just waiting for my travel insurance getting sorted out, My policy runs out soon and i am waiting for my Renewal,, I should have had the quote last week and I always like to be fully covered before paying for flights
To get free seat selection at time of booking you need one world sapphire. In the BA program that is silver status, in the qr program that is gold status.

to get silver status on ba you need 600 TP and 4 'eligible flights'. If you fly newcastle lhr doh bkk return in business class you will get 320 tp, so a return will get you 640tp. If you fly ncl lhr doh and doh lhr ncl on ba metal you will have 4 eligible flights, so one trip and you potentially have silver. You would need to do a lot more flying on qr to get qr gold.

You can credit each flight to ba OR qr, you cannot credit a flight to ba AND qr.

You can earn from both airlines only joining 1 program. Unless you are doing a lot of flying on both there is little point joining and trying to credit some flights to both.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 2:00 pm

….

….
To be clear Avios and Tier points are different earning values.

As scottishpoet states above on how to get free seat selection.

Your 1500 Avios won’t get you much on a long haul flight fare, maybe £10 off the total fare on BA.

It’s the Tier points you need to get certain benefits such as free seat selection. Tier points add up to get certain levels in the membership program, so Bronze, Silver, Gold and expire every year/reset to zero.

Avios are a rolling balance that keeps adding up, until you spend or redeem.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
So i am hoping that they assign the 2 seats near to the window if i do book with them . It will be a nice surprise for my wife
The great thing about being a BA Gold is I can put Mrs Geek at the other end of the cabin for free!

Jokes aside, got a free upgrade to PE on that leg on the way back from Asia with my best mate last year, and for only £100 extra I'm sure your future ex-wife will be delighted wherever you sit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.