Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best tactic for a bus gate at Heathrow when flying in F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best tactic for a bus gate at Heathrow when flying in F?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2024, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Short of refusing to get on the bus, IMO it might be best to wait until everyone has boarded before you, so you had a good chance of being the only one on the bus. This way makes it for more of a First experience when paying 1000s, rather then something like Ryanair.
I flew from 10A to JFK in F in March and I didn't find boarding a pleasing experience, made worse by the fact I was originally told we were leaving from T5C and made my way to the B lounge (it was early morning, so only wanted breakfast, coffee and to check my laptop). Not only did I end up having to walk back to T5A, but the gate was right at the end of the section and it was a sunny day and it was sweltering standing in there.

They called Group 0 and two very well dressed New Yorker's got on the bus and I did chuckle as they looked ridiculous sat on there. Think of a very well dressed couple in their 60s, all in camel colours, lady with a fair few diamonds. And they were first to board and then had to wait for all the others to join them in Groups 1-4.

I agree with the others though: you rarely will get a bus solo to the plane. Heathrow doesn't run shuttle runs for individual flyers. The last bus is likely to wait as long as possible, which is another reason why I avoid the last bus. It's often wiser to get on the first as it does tend to leave within 10 minutes of boarding. Often much less.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Ill be very interested to see what happens to F pricing both in cash and points when a new exclusive F cabin is live. This may lead to more changes in the ground experience to match the onboard experience, perhaps less shabby buses or a fleet of vehicles as most request on FT. Having room to accommodate 10 or so luxury saloons or 4x4s on the tarmac at LHR cant be an easy thing to implement. Or maybe no change at all given its A380. Do all A380s go from C gates?
Old Apr 15, 2024, 9:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes pretty much guaranteed for a T5C gate for an A380. There are some A380 gates on T5B, but they are very very rarely used. Also bussing for an A380 seems similarly rare.
Markie and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 9:27 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes pretty much guaranteed for a T5C gate for an A380. There are some A380 gates on T5B, but they are very very rarely used. Also bussing for an A380 seems similarly rare.
Cant be enough buses free at the same time for a 380
Old Apr 15, 2024, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Ill be very interested to see what happens to F pricing both in cash and points when a new exclusive F cabin is live. This may lead to more changes in the ground experience to match the onboard experience, perhaps less shabby buses or a fleet of vehicles as most request on FT. Having room to accommodate 10 or so luxury saloons or 4x4s on the tarmac at LHR cant be an easy thing to implement. Or maybe no change at all given its A380. Do all A380s go from C gates?
Actually, that reminds me. So when I said above we left from A10 after I was told T5C, it was the longest bus ride ever as it turned out the 777 was at T5C, but on a remote stand off T5C. Quite the bus journey!

Unless BA can allow boarding from the CCR, can't see how they'd run vehicles or unique buses from the gates. You'd have to assume all your F passengers are there at the same time as some like to arrive early to board first and others like to maximise their time in the lounge. Would be a right palaver trying to coordinate.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by chriswiles
Unless BA can allow boarding from the CCR, can't see how they'd run vehicles or unique buses from the gates. You'd have to assume all your F passengers are there at the same time as some like to arrive early to board first and others like to maximise their time in the lounge. Would be a right palaver trying to coordinate.
Not really. "Transport from the CCR for First passengers will be at xx:xx. If you will allow me to hold your passport, I will come and fetch you at that time. If you prefer to make your own way to the gate, please keep hold of your passport."
Buster CT1K, salut0, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 12:12 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by chriswiles

Simples. Keep hold of passengers passports, stick them in a pile or pigeon hole for each flight and just round everyone up when its time to go. A bit like FRA but with less subtlety
Old Apr 15, 2024, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I have been absolutely ace-ing buses with BA recently by following the advice (from KARFA perhaps?) to sit at the front. Normally the driver opens the front door and I am first off. During the journey I smile happily whilst looking through the front window and pretending I am driving the bus.

This definitely works when the bus collects you from the plane or if you are doing an inter-terminal transfer, but I am not sure if it works if you are going to the plane?
Worked for me when boarding from A10 a month back. Sat at the front on the single left-hand side seat, filmed the entire journey (not sure if that's allowed, actually!) and was the first person off - and hence the first person up the boarding steps. First time I've ever been the first person on-board (other than the crew).
KARFA and crazy8534 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by emworksintv
Worked for me when boarding from A10 a month back. Sat at the front on the single left-hand side seat, filmed the entire journey (not sure if that's allowed, actually!) and was the first person off - and hence the first person up the boarding steps. First time I've ever been the first person on-board (other than the crew).
Er, we need to keep this travel hack between us

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.