Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best tactic for a bus gate at Heathrow when flying in F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best tactic for a bus gate at Heathrow when flying in F?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2024, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by aks120
As there is no direct question to answer, perhaps the OP GodAtum could return and let us know how the answers align to their thinking?
I'm not convinced that this is a serious question from the OP. According to his profile, he's BA Blue, which implies he has not set foot in a premium BA cabin for quite a while.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 1:58 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
I, like many others on here I'm sure, will have experienced the "thrill" of the LH Porsche or the AF Merc/Jag but apart from the slick 5 minutes or so it's still simply A to B transport to get to the aircraft. If it's a bus gate at LHR then I get on the bus. As long as I don't feel BA's fares are taking the mick then I'm ok with that.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 2:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I have been absolutely ace-ing buses with BA recently by following the advice (from KARFA perhaps?) to sit at the front. Normally the driver opens the front door and I am first off. During the journey I smile happily whilst looking through the front window and pretending I am driving the bus.

This definitely works when the bus collects you from the plane or if you are doing an inter-terminal transfer, but I am not sure if it works if you are going to the plane?
KARFA and fnl111 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 2:14 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Short of refusing to get on the bus.........
Rather than refusing to board, one tactic would be to wriggle to the front of the queue loudly protesting that you had the right to do so, then step on the bus, turn around, spread your arms and state firmly "my bus! you plebs can get the next one!" This would also guarantee several pages in the DYKWIA thread.
HIDDY and alvinlwh like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I've always felt that the buses in use at LHR aren't optimal. At most other airports you have these big Cobus buses which are big and wide, whilst the LHR buses look as they're buses retired from a defunct bus company. Frankly you get the impression that they've gone out of their way to make a not very pleasant experience (bus gates) as unpleasant as possible.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 2:40 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Getting on the bus with others might just remind you that you are human after all.......
Old Apr 15, 2024, 2:40 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Misco60
I'm not convinced that this is a serious question from the OP. According to his profile, he's BA Blue, which implies he has not set foot in a premium BA cabin for quite a while.
You'd be surprised how many people just travel on Avios in premium cabins. Credit card spend and all that...
offtothehills and DXB2745 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 2:47 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Originally Posted by offtothehills
Getting on the bus with others might just remind you that you are human after all.......
Much in common
After all

Hmmm Daft Punk
Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:02 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I've done the bus when our return flight from EFL was shepherded to the remotest remote stand possible and we had quite a scenic view of the apron as the driver tooks us on a lovely tour of the airside roads. Looking at the underside of planes and the airside workings of an airport is my kind of thing. I even liked the connections bus to T2 when I had the chance to ride that.

The one thing I did not like was being the last person on a bus at BRU trying to get my connection after we had landed late following a delay. It felt like the walk of shame. There's the walk of shame, and then there's faffing about and you watch as the last bus drives off into the sunset without you on it, and I wouldn't want to have to deal with the ground staff and explain myself to them. Just get on the bus, it's 5 minutes. Who knows, you might not even get a bus and you might get an actual gate anyway, in which case this whole discussion has been completely academic.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What I would wish is that BA invest in a fleet,of electric buses as I find disgusting the smell of diesel fumes whilst waiting for the doors to close. My 2p
Some of the buses are already EV and the fleet is being replaced over the next 2 years with EVs - this is exactly the sort of operation which really ought to be EV given the relatively short distances and the fact that T5 closes at night.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by c1223
You'd be surprised how many people just travel on Avios in premium cabins. Credit card spend and all that...
Quite possibly one factor why there's no car to the aircraft.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:10 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Some of the buses are already EV and the fleet is being replaced over the next 2 years with EVs - this is exactly the sort of operation which really ought to be EV given the relatively short distances and the fact that T5 closes at night.
As long as somebody remembers to charge the buses up each night.
mikeyfly and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Quite possibly one factor why there's no car to the aircraft.
Yes but they could make it specific to say GGL or above, a but like the car transfer on United is specifically for UGS members.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Yes but they could make it specific to say GGL or above, a but like the car transfer on United is specifically for UGS members.
Indeed, but that wouldn't help in this case.
Tiger_lily likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Indeed, but that wouldn't help in this case.
No I get that. It was more a case of if there was, how it might be limited to a specific subset of the BAEC cohort, rather than just F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.