Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best tactic for a bus gate at Heathrow when flying in F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2024, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA

Short of refusing to get on the bus, IMO it might be best to wait until everyone has boarded before you, so you had a good chance of being the only one on the bus. This way makes it for more of a First experience when paying £1000s, rather then something like Ryanair.
SxMan and deanrw like this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure that will work - the last bus might well not be full but highly unlikely you'll be alone. Waiting too long is more likely to see you offloaded.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Not sure that will work - the last bus might well not be full but highly unlikely you'll be alone. Waiting too long is more likely to see you offloaded.
not to mention that early busses will go as soon as they are full so may not be super comfortable but will be quick. Last bus can wait a long long time for the last pax to board so i you ou may well get on too late to get a seat on the bus but early enough you’ll be waiting there 20 minutes before anything moves!
Swanhunter and becks1 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 11:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
most long haul flights are boarded using contact gates, so it is more likely than not you won't be using a bus anyway. if it is A10, i would generally be there for the first bus tbh.

however, short of never flying with BA and flying with another airline like LH where all F passengers are driven to the plane, i am afraid this is just something you have to put up with.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I always go for the last bus because if you know it’s A10 then you know exactly how long it takes from CCR to gate. The last bus is almost always pretty empty and if you time it well then it doesn’t stick around for long. There’s not usually too many stragglers when it’s A10. So my choice is arrive about 2 or 3 minutes before the gate closes.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Short of refusing to get on the bus, IMO it might be best to wait until everyone has boarded before you, so you had a good chance of being the only one on the bus. This way makes it for more of a First experience when paying £1000s, rather then something like Ryanair.
no chance you will be the only one on the bus

They work out the minimum number of buses they need based on the number of pax on the flight and plan/pack people in accordingly. The last bus leaves when all remain pax are on it.

Lets say you can get 50 people on a bus and 260 people on the plane, you are getting 6 buses with 40 to 45 on each bus.

Leave it too long you will not be getting on
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
If you want to be alone, get locked up under Rule 36. You might find in F you need to be with others in the F cabin, on the transit, at security.....
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 12:50 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by KARFA
most long haul flights are boarded using contact gates, so it is more likely than not you won't be using a bus anyway. if it is A10, i would generally be there for the first bus tbh.

however, short of never flying with BA and flying with another airline like LH where all F passengers are driven to the plane, i am afraid this is just something you have to put up with.
I have been on LH in F and had a bus from the plane to the terminal. However, the bus was clearly marked erste klasse and no-one was allowed to deplane until the 4 of us were on it and the doors closed. Can only imagine they were short of Porsche drivers that day 😆
wrp96, KARFA, DeathSlam and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Get on, deal with the slight misfortune of being on a bus for 5 minutes like an adult, then get onboard and enjoy your first class seat and service would be my view.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 12:53 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Get on, deal with the slight misfortune of being on a bus for 5 minutes like an adult, then get onboard and enjoy your first class seat and service would be my view.
This. 5 minutes on a bus with the hoi polloi is hardly a hardship
Old Apr 14, 2024, 12:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A bus is public transport. So is an aircraft. It is shared with other people. Bus gates on First flights happen from time to time, mostly boarding is via the airbridge. I prefer to be on the last bus, lots of good reasons for that, it's usually a perfectly pleasant experience with a bus less than half full, and thus the final stage of boarding is equally pleasant and swift given there will typically just be a handful of passengers. But after that last bus, usually nothing like full, they will close the gate and not send out any other buses. If you are not on that bus, you're not flying. There's always another flight.
SKT-DK, PAL62V, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Well with LH it's most likely a bus or a train so I usually aim to get to my seat asap and the pre-departure refreshments. Board with the appropriate group and enjoy the ride
Old Apr 14, 2024, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Thoughts for you at this difficult time.

Having being bussed to a Jet2 flight at Malaga Friday past, I'd have to congratulate them and AGP Airport for not cramming the maximum amount of people in, and leaving plenty space for everyone.
SJOGuy likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 2:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Counterpoint: Dedicated busses for F / J passengers are silly too as you - often enough - board only to end up on a bus that stays put until it's full or all F / J passengers have gotten on the bus (while other buses take away Y passengers within minutes).

My .02: I don't care about being first on a plane. I just want to spend as little time as possible waiting around doing nothing.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Personally I chalk it up to ‘sweat the big stuff’ and ignore the little things AKA get on the bus or ‘the right time is now’. I try to get to the gate for the start of boarding so at least I can stand where I want on the bus. If I don’t, though, I just suck it up and wait in line OR if the line is insanely large, I just take a seat until the queue has reduced. I do like to check though that I’m in the queue for the correct flight.

Just get on the plane, and then enjoy your pdb, IFE and extra space, knowing the boarding process is over & done.
roberto99 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.