Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best tactic for a bus gate at Heathrow when flying in F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best tactic for a bus gate at Heathrow when flying in F?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:43 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
I am disappointed that BA sells First as a premium experience and yet my experience has been that just when the bus is full, they tell everyone to move up, so you are then coughed on, hit in the face with an out of control backpack, have a child throw up over you just prior to a 10 hour flight, etc etc. If I had paid 1.99 for a Ryanair flight my expectations would be low, but not when First is sold as ....

"Indulge in the most exceptional comforts from luxurious fine dining to your own private suite. With access to our elegant departure lounges and exclusive service as standard, First truly is the finest way to fly"

And whether paid for with Avios on money shouldn't really make a difference. Many in First are there for a special occasion, and the whole bus transfer really lets down that aspect of the flight.

One reason why I am more inclined to take the A380 (far from my favourite plane) as they don't seem to use buses, given the greater number of passengers.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:51 am

Programs: BA GGL
For the sake of 1 or 2 long haul flights that depart from A10 I dont think BA can be accused of misleading advertising. Sure its not very premium but, as discussed previously on FT, BA F is more like Business+. Theyre not trying to compete with the opulent F of SQ, EK, QR etc

On that note, I would call AA F closer to soup class. Basically the same as J save for FFD in a few places and a soup course.

As usual people like to complain about everything. Theres something about frequent fliers that introduces a sense of entitlement. Sure youre paying for a service but as a frequent flier you know damn well what youre going to get. If anything, you/we should know better. Spend your cash elsewhere if the occasional bus gate to an F flight troubles you that much. And remember, theres always someone more important to the airline than you.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 4:09 am

It’s a bit off having to walk from the drop off to First check-in. Could BA not provide these?
salut0, seanp7, Greenpen and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!

The Group 1 bus

Saturday 20 May 23
Sector 3
BA0661, CHQ-LHR, 1420-1630, A320, Seats 1D/F

Eventually at 1340, Group 1 [only] were called forward, and released to wait outside, at the top of the steps down to the buses. A few minutes later, BA0661 was ready to receive us and the Tensa barrier was opened to enable us to board the bus for the 100 yard journey to the aircraft. And to my amazement, the bus departed with just we lucky Group 1 pax, leaving the others still stood outside waiting. How VERY nice!

Well done, Chania!
Old Apr 15, 2024, 4:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 2358
I am disappointed that BA sells First as a premium experience and yet my experience has been that just when the bus is full, they tell everyone to move up, so you are then coughed on, hit in the face with an out of control backpack, have a child throw up over you just prior to a 10 hour flight, etc etc. If I had paid 1.99 for a Ryanair flight my expectations would be low, but not when First is sold as ....
Certainly you appear to have had a particularly poor set of experiences that I've largely avoided. But that is another advantage of waiting for the last bus, since it's just a more calm experience. You can see during the boarding process how many buses are being deployed from the way they are lined up, and once you see less than 50 (and usually <20) people left in the gate area then that's the time to board.
salut0 and crazy8534 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 4:20 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
As long as somebody remembers to charge the buses up each night.

That, my Dear, crossed my mind as well.Still I think that we are being a little fatalistic you and I. One could equally fail to fill the tank of diesel,m and I for one, have never heard of buses conking out with a planeload of passengers aboard.
Tiger_lily likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by offtothehills
Getting on the bus with others might just remind you that you are human after all.......

Without wishing to drift OT from the core topic of bus transfers, I wonder at what point during the overall process of moving through London’s Heathrow (or indeed any major international airport) could one possibly feel a sense of detachment from humanity ??

- Arriving at the noisy bustling terminal itself ……… ?
- Moving through a security queue where you’re required to follow a set of very specific instructions (and possibly be scolded by a member of staff who believes you may not have complied to their total satisfaction) …….. ?
- Sat in the ‘tranquil haven of a premium lounge’ whilst assailed by loud conversations of selfish folk bellowing into mobile phones …….. ?
- More walking through the crowded concourse to reach a departure gate in the (quite often forlorn) hope of boarding your aircraft without undue delay or mood of organised chaos …….. ?

Not all (and with luck, none) of the above will prove tiresome every time you travel by air. But let’s face it, they’re experienced by many of us …… as is clear from the consistent regularity with which they appear here on FT and on sundry similar forums and blogs.

You certainly don’t need the added joy of a transfer from gate to aircraft via a grotty old BA bus (not least when packed shoulder-to-shoulder on a hot day) to remind you that you’re anything other than ‘human after all’ !
Old Apr 15, 2024, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Without wishing to drift OT from the core topic of bus transfers, I wonder at what point during the overall process of moving through Londons Heathrow (or indeed any major international airport) could one possibly feel a sense of detachment from humanity ??
Easy - walk the passage from T5 rather than taking the train. Quite often you wont see anyone else.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 5:19 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Certainly you appear to have had a particularly poor set of experiences that I've largely avoided. But that is another advantage of waiting for the last bus, since it's just a more calm experience. You can see during the boarding process how many buses are being deployed from the way they are lined up, and once you see less than 50 (and usually <20) people left in the gate area then that's the time to board.
yes, keep telling myself my next journey should be better, but they seem to be getting worse. I am going to have to try your strategy of waiting for the last bus!
Old Apr 15, 2024, 5:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by KARFA
ok, well let me have another go. which do you think is preferable and more premium, on a bus with 8-14 others or on the same bus with 50 people? any preference?
Let me have another go : the thread topic is whether getting a LHR bus-gate BA-flight bus to yourself would transform the OPs journey into an F-worthy experience. Being on a nice bus with 8-14 others instead of 50 is of course preferable, but that's an irrelevant sideshow in this particular thread.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 5:47 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
That, my Dear, crossed my mind as well.Still I think that we are being a little fatalistic you and I. One could equally fail to fill the tank of diesel,m and I for one, have never heard of buses conking out with a planeload of passengers aboard.
No neither have I. As long as someone has the job on ensuring they are plugged in. Leaving it to someone who may be driving an EV one day and a diesel the next, might cause a bit of confusion. Equally rocking up to a diesel pump in an EV and looking for the filler cap could be equally as entertaining
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 5:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Let me have another go : the thread topic is whether getting a LHR bus-gate BA-flight bus to yourself would transform the OPs journey into an F-worthy experience. Being on a nice bus with 8-14 others instead of 50 is of course preferable, but that's an irrelevant sideshow in this particular thread.
is it? I thought I responded to your question.

Just trying to figure out why and how being the only person on a scratty bus instantly transforms it into a premium experience
which do you think is preferable and more premium, on a bus with 8-14 others or on the same bus with 50 people? any preference?
note I said the same bus this time after you suggested my previous reply relating to QR F buses was off topic.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 6:04 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Misco60
I'm not convinced that this is a serious question from the OP. According to his profile, he's BA Blue, which implies he has not set foot in a premium BA cabin for quite a while.
I used to have status and then reduced my flying considerable and lost it. Since then I'm a free agent chosing whatever airline offers the best value/experience and fly almost excluivly in premium cabins.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
There can hardly be any dispute that the BA coaching operation is a sub-optimal experience. It reminds me of a stock joke. How many people can you get on a BA bus? Answer: Another 2 more.

There is no solution in sight. Coaching operations will remain a feature of the BA experience at LHR. Too many flights, too few gates. Call it home airport disadvantage. The same thing happens with A3 at ATH, LH at FRA etc.

There are mitigations that can be introduced. A3, for example, have a rigorously enforced J only bus from the aircraft to the terminal. Getting to the aircraft, however, is the same experience as with BA.

I have noticed buses with Club decals/markings on them, but I have never been treated to any sort of segregated experience. I cannot recall there ever being an initiative to treat Club/First pax differently when coaching. It's always been a free-for-all.

My few strategies to make it more bearable. Get to the coaching gate reasonably promptly. If the bus I am offered is already full, I'll politely decline the invitation to wedge myself in, in favour of taking the next bus (assuming that there is another) on which I will take a seat (and try to think happy thoughts).

Last edited by Finland Station; Apr 15, 2024 at 6:26 am
Old Apr 15, 2024, 6:32 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I got a held connection on AY out of HEL a couple of weeks ago when my inbound was running late.

Turned out I was connecting through a bus gate and when I got to the gate, there was a full-sized Cobus just for me. Luxury!

Bizarrely and rather wonderfully, there was also space above Row 1 for my bag, even though I was very much the last person to board.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Apr 15, 2024 at 6:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.