Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2024 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old May 1, 2024, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Mennens - worked examples for downgrades
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26864509-post636.html
Print Wikipost

The 2024 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, it's unrelated to EC261, and in fact there is no compensation for baggage delays. You can buy replacement items if you really need them and get reimbursement, this covers things like clothing, cosmetics, power chargers. Keep the receipts and photo them for claiming after your bag is returned. Otherwise all you can do is keep WorldTracer up to date with your contact details.
Thank you for your advice and I'll keep this in mind!
Old Apr 30, 2024, 5:30 am
PeS

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, BA Gold
Hello, can I ask for advice? Situation:
  • Round trip PRG-LHR-DFW-SGF, booked in CW with BA (125 ticket), but LHR-DFW-SGF-DFW-LHR operated by AA.
  • Return part was disrupted - SGF-DFW canceled.
  • I was rebooked by AA agent (BA line was closed) to SGF-ATL-CDG-PRG (Delta/AF), and downgraded to economy on flights ATL-CDG-PRG.
  • I raised a case with BA for reimbursement due to downgrade.
  • They basically f-ed me off, saying that I need to talk to AA, and to my travel agent, and closed it. Their "customer representative" was probably stupid a bit, because he referred to wrong flight numbers, kept referring to case as a refund, despite me highlighting it's not a refund twice, etc.

Shall I try to raise it with BA again? Raise it with CEDR? I don't think that talking to my travel agent would help - BA was perfectly fine when I claimed compensation for delayed flight by myself recently.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 5:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That looks to me that the operating airline is AA, and the trip is arguably not in scope for EC261. You can try to persuade AA to give you a Mennens style reimbursement but I don't think it will be successful, it may be more viable as a customer relations gesture. The fact that BA ticketing was used doesn't make BA liable for another airline's actions.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 7:13 am
PeS

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, BA Gold
Thank you, corporate-wage-slave . I'll at least try the final leg (as per original itinerary LHR-PRG) which is operated by BA, but not sure it's worth few pounds for this shart haul... Probably not.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Quick one. A colleague has been rebooked tomorrow morning (last minute cancellation advised just now) from the 0645 LHR-EDI onto the 0700 LCY-EDI. I'm also on the flight but have been rebooked on the 0755 LHR-EDI so no issues for me. What costs will BA cover in respect of getting between LHR and LCY?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 3:56 pm
sam

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
Flight cancelled. Downgrade. No partial Avios refund

During Easter school holidays I flew to Marseille from Heathrow with the family. I booked club Europe with Avios. The flight was cancelled and we were moved to a later flight on the same day in economy. I’ve not had any of the Avios back. Is this normal?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Did you claim for the Mennens refund [this] Details in the wiki. By all means give more details as to what exactly you have claimed, but I suspect Mennens on a relatively short distance flight will not be very generous, I often suggest simply asking for a customer service gesture in lieu of going down the EC261 route.

Last edited by aks120; May 1, 2024 at 1:41 am Reason: changed sentence after merge
Old May 1, 2024, 1:19 am
sam

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
Did you claim for the Mennens refund as per the main EC261 thread? Details in the wiki. By all means give more details as to what exactly you have claimed, but I suspect Mennens on a relatively short distance flight will not be very generous, I often suggest simply asking for a customer service gesture in lieu of going down the EC261 route.
I claimed for compensation and expenses and asked for partial refund. I wasn't aware of the actual rights wrt partial refund at the time. The compensation was denied (predictably even though the nature of the cancellation - well before the onset of any weather - made it dubious imho). The expenses (of Ł50 for 4 people) were paid but there was no response on any refund. I wrote back and heard nothing. My wife was on a seperate booking and she has not had any response (but she keeps getting "Thanks for your patience." emails).
Old May 1, 2024, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sam
I claimed for compensation and expenses and asked for partial refund. I wasn't aware of the actual rights wrt partial refund at the time. The compensation was denied (predictably even though the nature of the cancellation - well before the onset of any weather - made it dubious imho). The expenses (of Ł50 for 4 people) were paid but there was no response on any refund. I wrote back and heard nothing. My wife was on a seperate booking and she has not had any response (but she keeps getting "Thanks for your patience." emails).
You can look up the MRS flight (in the LHR-MRS incarnation) in the main FAQ for delays and cancellations, this will let you know if t really was weather related or not, it may well be HADACAB since MRS is picked on somewhat for that.

The main EC261 thread will also indicate that processing of EC261 claims can be very slow, and anything involving partial refunds under Mennens is complex. You can use the link from the EC261 thread's wiki to see worked examples of Mennens - you need to find out the fare breakdown of your ticket from the e-ticket email or Finnair's email e-ticket. and then work it out from there. I would not expect it to be a lot of money given the way it works on short sectors. But do the calculation yourself, and at 8 weeks take the matter to CEDR if BA have not responded.
Old May 1, 2024, 2:27 am

Companion ticket return flight cancelled by BA

Could anyone advise what refund would be due in the following situation.
i had an avios companion ticket, first leg flown. I changed the return flight at a cost of Ł100. The return flight was subsequently cancelled by BA and rebooked for next day 14 hours later. This would not work as we had to be back that next day for an event.
i was offered accept change, rebook, or refund. Took refund option as did not know what date I would want to rebook for, if at all.
i know return half of companion ticket is not usually refundable but in these circumstances what would BA do as they cancelled flight. I would expect my change fee of Ł100 to be refunded as no flight.
Thanks for any help.
Old May 1, 2024, 2:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MotivatedT
Could anyone advise what refund would be due in the following situation.
i had an avios companion ticket, first leg flown. I changed the return flight at a cost of Ł100. The return flight was subsequently cancelled by BA and rebooked for next day 14 hours later. This would not work as we had to be back that next day for an event.
i was offered accept change, rebook, or refund. Took refund option as did not know what date I would want to rebook for, if at all.
i know return half of companion ticket is not usually refundable but in these circumstances what would BA do as they cancelled flight. I would expect my change fee of Ł100 to be refunded as no flight.
Thanks for any help.
change fees are not normally refunded. You paid for something which you received in terms of the change.
Old May 1, 2024, 2:39 am

Even if BA cancel? Thing is online in MMB it offered option of ‘refund’ so I took that option, it didnt say ‘cancel’. Which seems misleading.
Old May 1, 2024, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MotivatedT
Even if BA cancel? Thing is online in MMB it offered option of ‘refund’ so I took that option, it didnt say ‘cancel’. Which seems misleading.
As KARFA has explained, you used the change fee facility to change to a new flight, so you got something for that money, and BA's policy is not to refund this.

Having said that, legally I think it is a bit iffy, and as far as I can tell, BA have been reluctant to defend this policy when challenged via MCOL or CEDR. Note also, that if you found another way to get back which thus avoided an overnight stay then BA are usually on the hook for that, hence the oft repeated advice not to cancel. If that new flight was cheaper than the refund then this advice would not apply.
Old May 1, 2024, 2:57 am

Thank you for the replies.
I didn’t know about the advice not to cancel! It seems I am almost in same position as if i cancelled myself. I will read through all the notes in the advice section of this thread as unsure about MCOL/CEDR.
Old May 1, 2024, 3:17 am
sam

Did you claim for the Mennens refund [this] Details in the wiki. By all means give more details as to what exactly you have claimed, but I suspect Mennens on a relatively short distance flight will not be very generous, I often suggest simply asking for a customer service gesture in lieu of going down the EC261 route.
You can look up the MRS flight (in the LHR-MRS incarnation) in the main FAQ for delays and cancellations, this will let you know if t really was weather related or not, it may well be HADACAB since MRS is picked on somewhat for that.

The main EC261 thread will also indicate that processing of EC261 claims can be very slow, and anything involving partial refunds under Mennens is complex. You can use the link from the EC261 thread's wiki to see worked examples of Mennens - you need to find out the fare breakdown of your ticket from the e-ticket email or Finnair's email e-ticket. and then work it out from there. I would not expect it to be a lot of money given the way it works on short sectors. But do the calculation yourself, and at 8 weeks take the matter to CEDR if BA have not responded.
I read all through the FAQ and I can't see where to look up the flight or Mennens worked examples. Please could you help?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.