Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2024 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old May 1, 2024, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Mennens - worked examples for downgrades
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26864509-post636.html
Print Wikipost

The 2024 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2024, 7:18 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Dear All

Can you untangle what my entitlemenst are in this situation.

I was ticketed ALC-MAD-LHR by IB - all one PNR.

We left ALC late but at this stage BA 423 was running late - and the connection was fine. However BA then cancelled the 19.40 flight at 19.00 claiming a technical problem (I think that it was the DAT A321 but have no way of knowing) and the next available flight was at 07.00 am. Another complication was that for whatever reason hotels were charging a fortune. All the airport hotels were full and downtown the cheapest that I saw was €425. I tried to get on the BA425 which left at 20.50. I needed to be in the UK today for medical and other reasons so I went to T4S. I did manage to get the very last seat but was downgraded as a result. I just needed to be on that aircraft. Iberia said this is down to BA, BA Gold Line told me that the BA 425 was full and that they had nothing until 19.40 today.

I decided to go to the gate and try. I was told that it was full. I went back when boarding was more or less over and was told the same. As I walked off someone yelled at me to come back (bless them) and I got the very last seat although in ET.

Please could you tell me to what I am entitled as I wound up arriving at Heathrow about one hour late after all this. I am not expecting anything but if I can claim then I will? Who actually was resonsible for looking after me at MAD? Would they have coughed up that sort of money for my hotel? I will complain vigourously about the downgrade as I might get a few Avios out of it!

Any pointers or advice would be so appreciated.
Old May 9, 2024, 7:41 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Dear All

Can you untangle what my entitlemenst are in this situation.

I was ticketed ALC-MAD-LHR by IB - all one PNR.

We left ALC late but at this stage BA 423 was running late - and the connection was fine. However BA then cancelled the 19.40 flight at 19.00 claiming a technical problem (I think that it was the DAT A321 but have no way of knowing) and the next available flight was at 07.00 am. Another complication was that for whatever reason hotels were charging a fortune. All the airport hotels were full and downtown the cheapest that I saw was €425. I tried to get on the BA425 which left at 20.50. I needed to be in the UK today for medical and other reasons so I went to T4S. I did manage to get the very last seat but was downgraded as a result. I just needed to be on that aircraft. Iberia said this is down to BA, BA Gold Line told me that the BA 425 was full and that they had nothing until 19.40 today.

I decided to go to the gate and try. I was told that it was full. I went back when boarding was more or less over and was told the same. As I walked off someone yelled at me to come back (bless them) and I got the very last seat although in ET.

Please could you tell me to what I am entitled as I wound up arriving at Heathrow about one hour late after all this. I am not expecting anything but if I can claim then I will? Who actually was resonsible for looking after me at MAD? Would they have coughed up that sort of money for my hotel? I will complain vigourously about the downgrade as I might get a few Avios out of it!

Any pointers or advice would be so appreciated.
Dearest Pucci,

Sorry to hear that - sounds like rather an unpleasant ordeal, especially given the circumstances of your journey. Glad you made it back yesterday evening.

Given that the laterunning on your ALC-MAD flight wasn't sufficient to make you miss your connection, BA are the responsible party here. Had you been unable to get onto BA425 you would have been entitled to cancellation compensation of 220 (ALC-LHR is marginally under the 1500km threshold for higher compensation). As it stands, having been able to get re-routed with less than 2 hours' delay in arrival, unfortunately you aren't entitled to any cancellation compensation at all.

You are entitled to downgrade reimbursement having travelled in ET - unfortunately the legal entitlement here is rather minimal at only 30% of the fare paid, due to the affected flight being below the 1500km threshold. We could try and estimate the amount due if you share the fare/taxes details from your Iberia booking confirmation, but unless you have a BA PNR to hand (this would have 6 digits vs IB's 5) then this doesn't have enough detail to provide a definitive answer. You may well be better off requesting a calculation based on the fare difference or alternatively just asking for a gesture of goodwill in Avios or as an e-voucher.

Had you been unable to get BA425, BA would also have been responsible for arranging a hotel. If €425 was the going rate, that's what they would have had to pay. It's perhaps one of the few circumstances where the usual advice of paying and then claiming back afterwards might not be the best option, since you do run the risk of BA questioning such a large amount. If you could demonstrate there wasn't a reasonable cheaper alternative they would have to pay in the end, but it might not be as straightforward as a hotel costing nearer the usual guideline of 200/night.

Please keep us informed how things progress!

flarmip

Last edited by flarmip; May 9, 2024 at 7:56 am
Old May 9, 2024, 7:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
What a frightful experience. I hope the Kit-kat and the dash of water was of some consolation.

As I see it, you were in the end under an hour late - so below the 2 hour trigger for cancellation compensation. You probably could put in for a right to care expense for refreshments, if that happened, though you aren't strictly able to have that either. For the downgrade it's Mennens, as per the sticky and worked example. I think I can save you some effort there with the calculator since the reimbursement due will be quite small, to the extent that one may feel grateful that you don't owe BA anything for the privilege. So your best bet is to complain about the course of events, but say that you don't propose to claim the refund due, knowing it won't be a significant sum, however you would be grateful for a generous wadge of Avios instead.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 7:46 am

@Flarnip - thank you. From which airline do I get the downgraded fare - Iberia or BA? Whilst I am thinking of it - which Tier Points should I get? The ones that I paid for or the ones that apply in Economy?
Old May 9, 2024, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Another complication was that for whatever reason hotels were charging a fortune..
Was champions league semi last night. Hotels were off the charts. You would have been fine to get reimbursed as there were simply no hotels at 200. The few times Ive been caught in mass disruption and nothing was available under the guidelines, Ive been laid back no fuss. General guidance is to take screenshots from whatever hotel app or site you use to show there was nothing at lower prices.

Glad you got sorted and you also dodged the potential bullet of being stuck next to me on tonights 19:40 departure.
Old May 9, 2024, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What a frightful experience. I hope the Kit-kat and the dash of water was of some consolation.

As I see it, you were in the end under an hour late - so below the 2 hour trigger for cancellation compensation. You probably could put in for a right to care expense for refreshments, if that happened, though you aren't strictly able to have that either. For the downgrade it's Mennens, as per the sticky and worked example. I think I can save you some effort there with the calculator since the reimbursement due will be quite small, to the extent that one may feel grateful that you don't owe BA anything for the privilege. So your best bet is to complain about the course of events, but say that you don't propose to claim the refund due, knowing it won't be a significant sum, however you would be grateful for a generous wadge of Avios instead.
Actually it was horrid. I felt that I was being run from pillar to post. The Gold Line was actually useless, I am sorry to say. My biggest frustration was with the signs in the the airport which I do find somewhat confusing - not so much in what they do say but what they do not. The VIP Iberia being hidded in that great barn of a Duty Free does not help. Frankly the stars were the Iberia Gate Agents. They went above and beyond. We also were given drinks from the CE bar - I was not alone in the downgrade list. I was so relieved to be on the aircraft that a drink and an episode or two of the new Scandinoir Prisoner and I was fine.

What miffs me is if I lose the Tier Points!
Old May 9, 2024, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by RichieMc
Was champions league semi last night. Hotels were off the charts. You would have been fine to get reimbursed as there were simply no hotels at 200. The few times Ive been caught in mass disruption and nothing was available under the guidelines, Ive been laid back no fuss. General guidance is to take screenshots from whatever hotel app or site you use to show there was nothing at lower prices.

Glad you got sorted and you also dodged the potential bullet of being stuck next to me on tonights 19:40 departure.
Oh how stupid I am! Of course Real Madrid was playing last night - that explains it. I had known but so interested in Football am I that my Short Term memory deleted as superfuous to requirements!
Old May 9, 2024, 8:00 am

Programs: BA GGL
@Flarnip - thank you. From which airline do I get the downgraded fare - Iberia or BA? Whilst I am thinking of it - which Tier Points should I get? The ones that I paid for or the ones that apply in Economy?
Glad to help

Legally speaking downgrade reimbursement is due from the operating airline at fault, i.e. BA in this case - but they will no doubt bat you back to Iberia as the ticketing airline, who in turn will direct you to BA, and you'll end up an unwilling participant to a game of pass-the-parcel. Hence the suggestion of asking BA for a customer service gesture for the cancellation (for which there's no strict legal remedy) and concomitant downgrade.

As for the Tier Points, it's unlikely you'll automatically get the CE ones so you'll want to contact the BA Gold Line after the ET TPs have posted (usually 3 days after the flight) and make a claim for Original Routing Credit - details in this thread.
Old May 10, 2024, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Shambles on today’s 15.05 BA1448 to EDI (CE not that this makes a difference..)

Bussed to aircraft, and then kept on board bus for nearly an hour sweltering no air con
Technical issue with plane once on board
Boiling hot
Sat for another hour or so
Problems with power
Eventually swapped and bussed to new aircraft
On board new aircraft at 17.50
Very slight chance arrival will be plus three hours, but tight

Original arrival time 16.30 now looking at 19.30 just before / after for doors open

Any comp due here as all technical / crew hours?
Landed 19.45
Doors open at 19.49

No catering on new aircraft

Shambles indeed
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
These things are a bit subjective and I long ago learned that being an armchair pilot is not a good look. I noticed an 8 minute delay between when the captain asked for pushback permission and receiving it. The captain then pushed back about 30 seconds after that, and on a smooth day there would not be a gap between events of that sort. Given the various restrictions the captain and ATC did well to get the aircraft airborne within an hour of an aircraft switch. Maybe if the original timetable was viable then the wait would have been shorter or longer. But given the 19:49 doors open then you should be able to submit a 2 line entry on the Complaints portal and get your compensation without hassle (I hope).
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Your claim will be valid and should be paid with zero issue. Original aircraft has no APU at present and there were ground power supply issues with G-EUUN.
G-EUUB subbed in and was late in from AMS as BA435 due to a late fuel truck due to it not being ordered as there is no ACARS availability on that aircraft, another defect. You had a 6 minute ATC related delay and an actual arrival time on stand of 1948z so adjusted for that equals 1942z plus the additional time for door opening so you are indeed over 3 hours each and every way it is sliced by factors within the control of BA.
Good grief .....
We’re sorry it was necessary to delay your flight to Edinburgh on 16 April and understand why you needed to get in contact about this. We take all reasonable measures to avoid delaying a flight and we’ll always consider if there are any alternative solutions available before we make a decision.

Your claim's been refused because BA1448 on 16 April was delayed due to technical and airport operational delays. 48 minutes of the delay was outside of the airlines control and so EU compensation is not payable.

Once again please accept our apologies for the experience on this trip. I hope we have the chance to welcome you on board again soon.
Well today common sense (truth!?) prevailed

An update from British Airways

We’re sorry it was necessary to delay your flight to Edinburgh on 16 April and understand why you needed to get in contact about this. We take all reasonable measures to avoid delaying a flight and we’ll always consider if there are any alternative solutions available before we make a decision. We'd also like to thank you for your patience while we got back to you about this.

I’ve checked the details of your journey and I’m pleased to advise you’re entitled to compensation for the delay to your flight, BA1448. The distance of your disrupted journey was 1,500km or less and this has been calculated in accordance with UK law. This means you’re entitled to 220.00 in compensation.

I have raised a bank transfer for 220.00 this payment will be in your account within the next 14 business days. Please don't respond to this email in the next 48-72 hours, as this may delay the payment being processed.

Thanks again for getting in touch. Please feel free to contact us if we can help you any further. We look forward to welcoming you on board again soon.
Special thanks to Sigwx & corporate-wage-slave
Old May 13, 2024, 4:20 am

Hello all,

Might someone be able to advise on the following case before I submit it to BA? I believe I am entitled to 220 under EC261/UK261, though I would appreciate some clarity as this was a diverted flight.

02MAY BA8460 AMS-LCY 13:35-13:40 (flight distance 336km)
  • We experienced rolling delays in AMS due to technical issues with the aircraft.
  • The technical issue was 'resolved' and we departed AMS two hours late.
  • Upon our approach to LCY, the aircraft made a sharp bank towards the right.
  • We shortly found ourselves landing amongst a sea of Ryanair planes. Peering out of the window, I think to myself, "This isn't City!"
  • It transpired that we had been diverted to Stansted Airport, eliciting gasps and shrieks throughout the Club Europe cabin.
  • We landed at Stansted at 3.52pm, which was 2 hours and 12 minutes behind the flight's scheduled arrival time at LCY.
Shortly after landing, I received the following email from BA:
Spoiler

After which I booked a taxi to London City Airport.

My taxi arrived at LCY at 5.31pm - 3 hours and 51 minutes behind the flight's scheduled arrival time at LCY.

Am I eligible for EU261/UK261 compensation here? I would greatly appreciate advice from someone more knowledgeable. Thank you!

Last edited by zcd9986; May 13, 2024 at 4:36 am
Old May 13, 2024, 4:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by zcd9986
Am I eligible for EU261/UK261 compensation here? I would greatly appreciate advice from someone more knowledgeable. Thank you!
On the face of it yes, since it appears to be purely technical. The bit that may give BA a small amount of leeway is that diversions made at the last moment are often considered extraordinary since usually it takes something fairly unusual / out of the ordinary/ Here I'm don't think so, it looks like a deliberate thing to do, perhaps because the aircraft was no longer in tolerance for LCY. So make a claim and revert back here if you get any pushback.
zcd9986 likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by zaphod424
Had a day trip to BSL planned for yesterday as a TP run (needed 80TP for silver, and was a cheap J fare when booked), but on friday afternoon got an email that the outbound flight was cancelled. I was rebooked onto a later flight (arriving 3 hours later) but in Y.

I therefore opted to reschedule to a later date (6th May), as I didn't want to have to deal with making an ORC claim (and didn't want to risk that it wasn't eligible) since the TPs were the whole point of the trip.

As far as I can tell this would be eligible for a compensation claim, but does choosing to rebook on another date invalidate that claim? Obviously I can't get a full refund and still rebook, but am I still able to claim the 220 compensation?

As an update to my previous post, and as a data point, I ended up following CWS's advice, and waited until after my rebooked trip to submit my claim. I therefore submitted it on Tuesday (7th) after my trip last Monday (6th), and did actually get a confirmation email stating that they'd received my claim and were processing it (albeit the email did arrive 6 hours after I submitted it, but still, it did come eventually), so it seems that BA have fixed that.

The next day (Wednesday) I received a mail saying that my claim had been approved and the 220 compensation would be transferred to my bank account within 14 business days. The money landed in my bank account today (Monday 13th), so was 6 days (4 working days) from submitting the claim to receiving the compensation.

Overall was a bit annoyed about having to change the date, but given that I ended up making a 40 profit (I paid 180 for the ticket) and still got the TPs I can't really complain, and the compensation process was pretty painless.

As an aside, my return flight was delayed (due to the aircraft (TNEA) needing a new tyre before it could fly the outbound), it was by 2 hours, so less than the 3 hour threshold for compensation. But it made me think, had it been delayed for 3 hours would I have been able to claim another 220 for that, as well as the 220 for the cancellation?
flarmip likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zaphod424
As an aside, my return flight was delayed (due to the aircraft (TNEA) needing a new tyre before it could fly the outbound), it was by 2 hours, so less than the 3 hour threshold for compensation. But it made me think, had it been delayed for 3 hours would I have been able to claim another 220 for that, as well as the 220 for the cancellation?
Yes, since that looks like 2 different incidents, so yes it is established that you can have multiple claims on one booking.
zaphod424 likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 8:58 am

Hi all,

Would appreciate your help re: compensation under EU 261.

My flight BA 2273 LGW to JFK, departure 15.05, arrival 18.05 on Tuesday 16 April was cancelled - code OPEY. BA cancelled while I was in the check-in queue just 2 hours before takeoff. Shortly afterward, I received an email from BA saying they had rebooked me to a flight from LHR to JFK departing 19.05, arrival 21.55 that same evening. In the email it asked me if I wanted to travel on this flight by clicking "accept", but that I could also review other available flights in "Manage my booking."

I went into the BA "manage my booking" system and did NOT accept the flight arriving in JFK at 21.55, because the arrival would have been way too late and I risked being stranded as I had to travel from NYC to rural NJ and it was unsafe to be in the middle of nowhere after midnight. Instead, I accepted the first available flight that departed the next morning, the 09.55 from LHR on Wednesday 17 April, arriving at JFK at 12.40pm.

I know I'm entitled to compensation due to code OPEY, but I wonder if BA would try to reduce my compensation by 50% because they offered me a flight that arrived at 21.55 (so 3 hours 50 mins after original flight). However, I did NOT accept that flight but only accepted the one flying out the next morning (BA 175). BA staff said I needed to go to LHR since they could put me up in a hotel there and there was only one flight a day from LGW in any event.

I believe I'm entitled to the full 520 compensation since my actual time of arrival in JFK was 1.15pm the next day (the new flight was delayed by 30 mins). Therefore, in my compensation claim, I'm assuming I should just state that I flew on BA 175 (i.e. the next day), without mentioning anything about the "rebooking" that I didn't accept anyway?
Old May 13, 2024, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer8310

I believe I'm entitled to the full 520 compensation since my actual time of arrival in JFK was 1.15pm the next day (the new flight was delayed by 30 mins). Therefore, in my compensation claim, I'm assuming I should just state that I flew on BA 175 (i.e. the next day), without mentioning anything about the "rebooking" that I didn't accept anyway?
That should be OK. The key issue is whether BA could have got you to JFK within 2 hours of delay (cancellations have a different time limit) and from what you've put here, that wasn't an option in your case. I would put the claim in ASAP, it's not a quick process, but try to make your submission as brief as possible, they have all the details there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.