Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2024 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old May 1, 2024, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Mennens - worked examples for downgrades
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26864509-post636.html
Print Wikipost

The 2024 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:56 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just a recent datapoint. I had an unexpected delay from BRU home to NCL on Monday, missing conformance by about 10 minutes, which I knew to be ATC related. So no compensation. But I booked the Hilton T4 myself, had a meal there, which totalled 150 in all. Also 3.50 of TfL bus fares to and from the Hilton. I sent the receipt for the hotel (including the meal) on Tuesday, got a reply on Wednesday asking for banking details, then today confirmation of payment, so between 3 and 4 days from claim to payment. Oyster logins were down, so I couldn't send the receipt for the bus fares at the time but BA were ok to pay 3.50 without receipts for the 2 bus rides.
mandolino, Finkface, Lefly and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just a recent datapoint. I had an unexpected delay from BRU home to NCL on Monday, missing conformance by about 10 minutes, which I knew to be ATC related. So no compensation. But I booked the Hilton T4 myself, had a meal there, which totalled 150 in all. Also 3.50 of TfL bus fares to and from the Hilton. I sent the receipt for the hotel (including the meal) on Tuesday, got a reply on Wednesday asking for banking details, then today confirmation of payment, so between 3 and 4 days from claim to payment. Oyster logins were down, so I couldn't send the receipt for the bus fares at the time but BA were ok to pay 3.50 without receipts for the 2 bus rides.
To temper most FT members' expectations, it's worth noting that the process is speeded up considerably by being GGL. I've definitely noticed the difference since becoming GGL - cases typically get a response overnight as opposed to within a week or so.
Bluekjp likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:02 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
As a data point for anybody that has made the same foolish mistake as myself...

About two months ago I raised a claim which was promptly accepted, and told payment would take 28 working days. Anyhow, it did not arrive. Having had a separate claim paid out since, I chased this by replying to the agent directly via email (was from Global Customer Relations which seem to allow this). He replied asking me to confirm my account number.

Sure enough, I'd typed in the wrong one, as "Confirmation of Payee had failed".

Thankfully, it seems BA check the name matches the account as the "payment failed since all the details provided did not match the account details given (Confirmation of Payee)". I think this relatively new in the UK, but useful to know.

Payment received within 72 hours of the correction being made.
LCSinTexas, flarmip and Bluekjp like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:12 pm

How can I check if my flight is really cancelled?

The website says that my flight is cancelled yet i have not received an email and it is not showing as cancelled in the app.

BA2256 ANU TO LGW 28TH APR

Ideally I would like to leave on the 27th. This is a BA holidays booking and the office is closed at the moment.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Imnothere

The website says that my flight is cancelled yet i have not received an email and it is not showing as cancelled in the app.

Ideally I would like to leave on the 27th. This is a BA holidays booking and the office is closed at the moment.
Which website says the flight is cancelled? Can you give a bit more precision? On BA.com under Flight Status for 28 April it shows as operating, albeit an hour late (which isn't correct at this remove).
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:27 pm

Which website says the flight is cancelled? Can you give a bit more precision? On BA.com under Flight Status for 28 April it shows as operating, albeit an hour late (which isn't correct at this remove).
When I log into ba.com. But when I click through, it doesn't show as cancelled.

Last edited by Imnothere; Apr 26, 2024 at 2:42 pm
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

OK, so that's in Manage My Booking. As far as I can tell that flight is operating, and Flight Status is usually the most accurate location of information that there is (crew also use it). Nevertheless tomorrow morning i would send a brief email with a 2 sentence question and your phone number to BAH Duty Manager - see point 6 on this thread, which is the main advice area for disruption: I say tomorrow but there again if the flight is operating, and your booking is good, then a quick exchange of emails will put your mind at rest. Fake cancellations in MMB has happened before, we don't really know the cause yet.

Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:43 pm

OK, so that's in Manage My Booking. As far as I can tell that flight is operating, and Flight Status is usually the most accurate location of information that there is (crew also use it). Nevertheless tomorrow morning i would send a brief email with a 2 sentence question and your phone number to BAH Duty Manager - see point 6 on this thread, which is the main advice area for disruption: I say tomorrow but there again if the flight is operating, and your booking is good, then a quick exchange of emails will put your mind at rest. Fake cancellations in MMB has happened before, we don't really know the cause yet.

Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know
Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Imnothere

The number for the BA Holidays duty office should have been texted to you a few hours before the first flight in your booking; this is open 24/7 and is very helpful in my experience. The number is in the format +44 1293 378 xxx (they seem to vary the last few digits every so often).
sayling likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
As a data point for anybody that has made the same foolish mistake as myself...

About two months ago I raised a claim which was promptly accepted, and told payment would take 28 working days. Anyhow, it did not arrive. Having had a separate claim paid out since, I chased this by replying to the agent directly via email (was from Global Customer Relations which seem to allow this). He replied asking me to confirm my account number.

Sure enough, I'd typed in the wrong one, as "Confirmation of Payee had failed".

Thankfully, it seems BA check the name matches the account as the "payment failed since all the details provided did not match the account details given (Confirmation of Payee)". I think this relatively new in the UK, but useful to know.

Payment received within 72 hours of the correction being made.
This is not a BA check this is a banking check and happens on every U.K. bank electronic transfer. Once you enter the account and sort code the receiving bank should confirm that the name matches. I often get a message that there is a slight difference for example John Smith is John J Smith.
the question is why did BA not contact you rather than just ignore the claim?
Old Apr 27, 2024, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by binman
This is not a BA check this is a banking check and happens on every U.K. bank electronic transfer.
Not "every" transfer; both sending and receiving institutions need to be signed up to the scheme, and it only applies to transfers passed over Faster Payments, not BACS or CHAPS.
sayling likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 6:08 am

Question Triple Cancelation of same flight - compensation?

Hi!

I'm looking for your guidance with my case. I recently had a flight scheduled for a Friday at 1 pm from Chile to London, operated by BA. The flight departed as normal, but about 3-4 hours into the flight (above Brazil), the pilot informed us that the weather radar was faulty and was not safe to cross the Atlantic, so he decided to return to Chile. So, 7 hours after departure, I'm exactly where I started. We did not get information about when the next flight would be.

That night I contacted BA online and they said that my flight would most likely be the next day at 3 pm. The next morning (Saturday) I contacted the airline and they confirmed online that the flight would be at 3 pm (I never got an email). I got to the airport, as well as most of the passengers, but we were informed by personnel from the airport that the flight would not happen. No one from BA was there to give information. So I go home. Later that day I got an email that our flight would happen the next day (Sunday) at 3 pm.

I get to the airport, we board the plane as normal (the same plane that returned), and once we are all sitting there, the pilot tells us that the weather radar that they borrowed from another airline was different to the one they are used to so they need to run some tests and get clearance from London. We sat on the plane for 5 hours, without food and only with some water. At 8 pm they decide to take off, landing in London around 5 hours later than scheduled.

I considered that those were 3 cancellation events, so asked for 520 x 3 = 1,560. BA replied that all happened with the same flight, so they would only count one cancellation and offered 520. I complained back and they offered me an eVoucher of 100. I complained again and they told me to go to CEDR.

My question after all that is: do I have any chance of getting more money through CEDR? Or should I accept the offer by BA and continue with my life?

Sorry for the long message!
Old Apr 27, 2024, 6:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I am going to pop this over to the compensation thread as that is where the experts are to help answer this question.

aks120
Moderator: BAEC Forum
Old Apr 27, 2024, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diegoamesap
I considered that those were 3 cancellation events, so asked for 520 x 3 = 1,560. BA replied that all happened with the same flight, so they would only count one cancellation and offered 520. I complained back and they offered me an eVoucher of 100. I complained again and they told me to go to CEDR.

My question after all that is: do I have any chance of getting more money through CEDR? Or should I accept the offer by BA and continue with my life?
Welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA forum. It may be worth looking around, there was at least one other person from Flyertalk on that service.

It's going to be a grey area since EC261 wasn't really designed for this silly sort of irrop. I can see an argument for just one EC261: in essence it's the same problem on the same aircraft but took 3 days to fix. There is another argument for 3 rounds of EC261, but I think it's quite weak since I don't think the middle flight was a go-er and you didn't get a new boarding pass for the middle trip. You can try to push for 2 lots of EC261 compensation, but (a) it will definitely need CEDR and (b) it's not a certain outcome. The arguments for 2 are (a) 2 separate boarding passes and (b) two separate events, a TECY for the first trip and inadequate pre-departure testing for trip 3 which should have happened before boarding and (c) it is for certain BA could have got you home much sooner via connections on Iberia / AA / LAN etc in between trip 2 and 3.
stifle, DiamondMile and Bluekjp like this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by flarmip
Normally I would suggest ticking both, but in this case we know from the Flight delays and cancellations thread (see post #667) that BA832 (the outbound LHR-DUB flight for BA833) was cancelled due to reason code "WEAN".

WEA = poor weather, manifested as arrival rate restrictions at Heathrow (36-38 arrivals an hour, down from ~45 normally) which therefore require cancellations to avoid excessive delays. N = BA doesn't consider this eligible for compensation, and unfortunately they're likely right.

Therefore the only way compensation would be payable is if BA failed to take "all reasonable measures" to avoid you being delayed overnight, but it's almost impossible in retrospect to determine whether seats were available on earlier flights (unless you tell us otherwise).

So in this case you're just entitled to "duty of care" expenses such as your hotel, any food and drink costs (except alcohol) as well as the cost of getting to and from your hotel and any roaming charges for a reasonable amount of data/calls/texts.
Indeed I can't see you getting anywhere with compensation given the fairly obviously poor weather conditions at the time (and at both airports). However to answer the specific question, once you choose one option such as "Expenses incurred" and go a little further down with the questions, there should then be a new option to select another claim for the same flight, and there you can select "The compensation..." And just to add complexity, there is some logic in claiming expenses straight up since they can be paid quite quickly, and leaving compensation for a separate claim a few hours later - that will take longer to process.
Thankyou all, i have submitted a claim for the hotel expenses and dinner. I will wait a few hours and submit a seperate claim for compensation.
Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.