Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T5 First Wing Security 11 week closure [now reopened]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T5 First Wing Security 11 week closure [now reopened]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by hsmall
We are on 255 to Bridgetown tomorrow, the first day of operation, at 1030 so we get an early peek at the system. We will report.
As everyone now knows, it started today not yesterday (Monday). When going through the nice checkin person mentioned to me that the reason for it taking so long was that the floor where the "old" security was is suspended from the ceiling and therefore needed strengthening. How accurate that is I know not.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 12:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHons diamond
My second visit in two days and happy to report improved on yesterday (which was itself more than acceptable). My boarding pass scrutinised to check eligibility (yesterday the member of staff just took my word I was Gold) and the two security lanes were reserved for First Wing customers (yesterday the normal fast track funnelled in). So essentially now the same security provision as with the First Wing but with a bit less space. I wonder whether the more significant impact here is on business class customers who cant use the First Wing who will now have to use North Security or face a longer wait at South as they (presumably?) end up funnelled in to main security. The longer walk to the First Class lounge is a minor change (in my view) and I tend anyway to head to the Terminal B lounge as I prefer that.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 12:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Nickl
I wonder whether the more significant impact here is on business class customers who can’t use the First Wing who will now have to use North Security or face a longer wait at South as they (presumably?) end up funnelled in to main security. The longer walk to the First Class lounge is a minor change (in my view) and I tend anyway to head to the Terminal B lounge as I prefer that.
Thanks for that. Yesterday they did funnel in normal Fast Track and so that was probably about a third of the workload in that moment. However I did notice that normal security was running very well and so that frankly anyone would have been faster going via main security - this will typically be the case outside the 4 or so peak hours. Main security just has more flexibility and space, Fast Track has a structure around it and is capped at 2 lanes. Unfortunately it's not possible to see into Main Security, so it's all guesswork, and it's rare for anyone from HAL to announce out to those joining that main security is clear. I've checked the stats for the time I went through yesterday - I recorded 6 minutes yesterday in Fast Track, which was fine, but main security was recorded as running under 4 minutes and visually that would seem plausible.

The other factor is that Iberia Fast Track will be in contention here since their check-in Zone H is right by South security. Due to Epiphany, which ends today, and strikes, we haven't really seen this workload yet but next week we will.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
I don't really know why they have bothered to set up a special line for First Wing eligible passengers. The employees checking BPs were friendly and professional, and also kind enough to direct me to the general security lanes as they had a shorter wait time than the FT line I was originally directed to, but it still took nearly 20 minutes to clear security. A far cry from what it would have been two days ago. On the plus side, the GF lounge seems empty as I set here right now right in the middle of US rush hour. I suppose that's the silver lining, but I wish BA could try a little bit harder here.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:44 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
I don't really know why they have bothered to set up a special line for First Wing eligible passengers. The employees checking BPs were friendly and professional, and also kind enough to direct me to the general security lanes as they had a shorter wait time than the FT line I was originally directed to, but it still took nearly 20 minutes to clear security. A far cry from what it would have been two days ago. On the plus side, the GF lounge seems empty as I set here right now right in the middle of US rush hour. I suppose that's the silver lining, but I wish BA could try a little bit harder here.
How would you suggest they do that? They are making the best of a bad situation they have no control over. Also it is better than it was pre F Wing.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
All worked well this morning. Seems a quiet day here at T5 currently.
But through security very quickly and straight into CCR
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
British Airways Fast Track passengers will be advised to use the North Fast Track Security Lanes. Iberia Fast Track passengers may choose to use either the North or the South Fast Track Security Lanes.
Interesting - does Emerald on IB allow access to the "fake" First Wing, or are they directed to the standard Fast Track lanes? Previously, Emerald on IB gave access to FW security.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by BA6501
Interesting - does Emerald on IB allow access to the "fake" First Wing, or are they directed to the standard Fast Track lanes? Previously, Emerald on IB gave access to FW security.
BA Gold or OW emerald gets you in!
BA6501 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:09 am
formerly JackDann

Based on the first couple of days - the question I have.

If you are a GCH arriving on public transport with checked baggage (North), is it worth heading to FW to check-in. Or does it make more sense to use North check in and security?
SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
So here are my timings,
Thank you for sharing your timings.

So would you say going landside when connecting is still the way to go even if not owning a CCR card but just being a lowly Gold? Since the introduction of the First Wing I always went landside when connecting but I'm not sure if I shouldn't give connecting security a try now.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Flip42

So would you say going landside when connecting is still the way to go even if not owning a CCR card but just being a lowly Gold? Since the introduction of the First Wing I always went landside when connecting but I'm not sure if I shouldn't give connecting security a try now.
This morning it is 2 dedicated lines as per the proper FW, so i personally dont see any reason for it to be different to before
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
can I take a Silver guest through with me (they are on same flight but separate PNR/booking)?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Flip42

Originally Posted by stewaran
This morning it is 2 dedicated lines as per the proper FW, so i personally dont see any reason for it to be different to before
I agree. It's perhaps more obvious for CCR travellers since it is a significantly shorter route now, where as for Golds there is a walk through the shopping mall. It should be said that after about 16:00 hrs, Flight Connections is usually quite fast, usually uses the CT scanners and would be a shorter route in terms of distance covered.

Originally Posted by oceanscape
can I take a Silver guest through with me (they are on same flight but separate PNR/booking)?
Yes, 1 guest, no change there.
Flip42, oceanscape, SxMan and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Based on my experience of this today,you'd be faster in North fast track
it's a little coral glass walled in and open to silvers and club Europe in the sense that theiyve a lane beside the F lane going to the same scanners and they get there quicker or just as fast

SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:08 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
The new fake First Wing security lanes in South security worked well for us today, but it was not a busy day for security at either end. We were through in about 3-5 mins tops. I can see how a queue could form when the terminal is busier, and it may then be worth going through the normal fast track lanes or even the ordinary security. Keeping your wits about you is the solution to navigating this new situation.
PETER01 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.