Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T5 First Wing Security 11 week closure [now reopened]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T5 First Wing Security 11 week closure [now reopened]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2023, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
However how about the rest of the T5 security machines for the mere minion's? Is this just one part of the overhaul?
Yes, all lanes across all terminals are being upgraded in phases.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
They do this regularly at Basel airport too, which is good for me as I'm usually Bronze flying in Y. As long as they stop non-fast-track people from joining the queue once fast-track passengers arrive then it's an efficient use of space and people.
Only if very much drip fed so concept of fast remains. A full lane makes no sense which is what a lot of places do.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by Genius1
Yes, all lanes across all terminals are being upgraded in phases.
Seems to me that doing South Fast Track first would make more sense as North remains. And then FW and then North end etc.
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YClass
Seems to me that doing South Fast Track first would make more sense as North remains. And then FW and then North end etc.
The work at South Fast Track is much more involved - the lanes are being moved forward to part of the main concourse as they don't fit in the existing pre-concourse area.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
The work at South Fast Track is much more involved - the lanes are being moved forward to part of the main concourse as they don't fit in the existing pre-concourse area.
Sounds messy.
SxMan and DXB2745 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 10:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can imagine this must be devastating to read for any First or qualifying passengers!! I imagine it will be similar reactions when they close lounges for refurbs!

However how about the rest of the T5 security machines for the mere minion's? Is this just one part of the overhaul?
Indeed we appear to be going through the Seven Stages of Grief at the moment, but for the rest of T5's users there is some more information here:

New CT scanners at LHR T5 - Project starts 5 December
Old Dec 16, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by YClass
Do you not think that HAL has project managers who meticulously plan these things out?
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 10:42 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Indeed we appear to be going through the Seven Stages of Grief at the moment
It sounds more like the Seven Rings of Hell. (Do I care? Only a little bit.)

Knowing Heathrow of old, Im just surprised that it is only taking three months and that they did not choose the summer peak (or is it pique? Homonyms can be so confusing!) months
Old Dec 16, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
I can imagine this must be devastating to read for any First or qualifying passengers!! I imagine it will be similar reactions when they close lounges for refurbs!
If half of South Fast Track becomes First and Gold only then the big losers will be Club and Silver passengers going through there. South Fast Track can often be no faster than then main lanes as it is.
Markie, wrp96 and crazy8534 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Do you not think that HAL has project managers who meticulously plan these things out?
That's what I fear as well...
BA or bust and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by lcylocal
If half of South Fast Track becomes First and Gold only then the big losers will be Club and Silver passengers going through there. South Fast Track can often be no faster than then main lanes as it is.
Indeed, but the Club & Silver check-in desks have moved to the north end so south fast track shouldnt be nearly as busy as it used to be.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
All well and good until the Virgin Upper Class Wing gets its new lane

The new lanes opened in T3 Fast Track (an entirely new space) on Thursday. The changes in T3 (and to a slightly lesser extent T4) are much more dramatic than T2 and most of T5, given space changes.
Looking forward to seeing this tomorrow when I go through T3 as "fast" track last Sunday was anything but. Mainly due to an couple who had a complete inability to follow instructions - felt like it was the scene from Up in the Air.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 12:36 pm

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by orbitmic

Incidentally, for many of us, that last point will be the one "to check" in coming weeks: it's been typically a lot faster for anyone with eligible passports and F wing access connecting to exit and reenter through F wing. Will it still be faster to exit and reenter through fast track or best stick to the official connection route with all of its limitations now?
Yes, this would be my biggest thought too. I have my well oiled routine now thanks to previous advice on here.

As I'm almost always connecting to domestic in T5, I may still try this anyway rather than getting forced through north security and having to walk back to the CCR.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
There does seem to be a lot of stress in the room for such a small first world problem. In a world when people are being killed in wars not too far from our shores, I'd suggest that the closure of the FW security lane for a few months really doesn't matter 1 bit.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
There does seem to be a lot of stress in the room for such a small first world problem. In a world when people are being killed in wars not too far from our shores, I'd suggest that the closure of the FW security lane for a few months really doesn't matter 1 bit.
I agree. It will just be like pre-2017. (Without the hot towels, and still without bread plates in CE.)
BA or bust, alex67500 and DXB2745 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.