Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios fraudulently debited from my BAEC account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2023, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Horrified today to log on to my BAEC account only to find it 135,000 Avios lighter. Looking at recent transactions it shows a debit in the last week of August titled “Qatar Exchange”. Immediately phone BAEC bronze line and ended up talking to a helpful agent. The long and short is I’ve agreed for my account to be locked while their fraud team investigates. I don’t have a Qatar account, nor do I have any Qatar flights booked. Desperately hoping I get my hard earned Avios (money!) back. Apparently the investigation will take up to three weeks. Wondering if anyone else has suffered similar?
Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue
Originally Posted by jimkwatson
Horrified today to log on to my BAEC account only to find it 135,000 Avios lighter. Looking at recent transactions it shows a debit in the last week of August titled “Qatar Exchange”. Immediately phone BAEC bronze line and ended up talking to a helpful agent. The long and short is I’ve agreed for my account to be locked while their fraud team investigates. I don’t have a Qatar account, nor do I have any Qatar flights booked. Desperately hoping I get my hard earned Avios (money!) back. Apparently the investigation will take up to three weeks. Wondering if anyone else has suffered similar?
Did you also ask this on Reddit? I remember seeing a vaguely similar post there.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:39 am

Also posted on Head for Points using the same text but a different user name!
Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think you just have to let the investigation run, not much else you can do.
sammyg901, Neboxod and DXB2745 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Also posted on Head for Points using the same text but a different user name!
Indeed yes I have also asked on Head for Points. I’m so upset about this, just keen to know if it’s happened to anyone else. Many thanks
Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flight125
Did you also ask this on Reddit? I remember seeing a vaguely similar post there.
Hi, no I’ve never used Reddit, but I have asked on Head for Points as I respect it as a forum like Flyertalk.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
I have not seen this been reported before and would be interested in the outcome of the investigation.

What is really strange is that if I am not mistaken, to link the BAEC account to the Qatar Privilege account, the details needs to match exactly, not only the name etc, but also the email address. I remember that in order to get the sign up bonus when they launched their Avios scheme, I had to create a new account, close my old one and then switch my email address on the new one so to link it to the BA account and move the Avios I just earned .
SxMan and Neboxod like this.

Last edited by marcopizzaiuolo; Sep 13, 2023 at 10:36 am
Old Sep 13, 2023, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Wondering if anyone else has suffered similar?
Not with BAEC, but I had my Hilton Honors account zeroed a few years ago -- 700k points pilfered via an exploited vulnerability related to a new Amazon redemption channel -- and the Hilton people were good enough to own it, replenish my account immediately, and change my Honors number. That is the standard of care I would expect in any breach of this sort.

I'm sorry for your experience, OP. It is a bit jarring when it happens.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 10:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
What is really strange is that if I am not mistaken, to link the BAEC account to the Qatar Privilege account, the details needs to match exactly, not only the name etc, but also the email address. I remember that in order to get the sign up bonus when they launched their Avios scheme, I had to create a new account, close my old one and then switch my email address on the new one so to link it to the BA account and move the Avios I just earned .
And you also need the BA Username & Password to be able to link the accounts. I also think there may have been 2FA via a text message.

Sounds like somebody has got into the OPs account.
marcopizzaiuolo likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
Not with BAEC, but I had my Hilton Honors account zeroed a few years ago -- 700k points pilfered via an exploited vulnerability related to a new Amazon redemption channel -- and the Hilton people were good enough to own it, replenish my account immediately, and change my Honors number. That is the standard of care I would expect in any breach of this sort.

I'm sorry for your experience, OP. It is a bit jarring when it happens.
Thank you. Yes jarring is a good description, never had anything like this happen to me before. Thankfully I had no plans to redeem avios in the near future but will need to before then middle next year as have an Amex 241 voucher that needs using!
Old Sep 13, 2023, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
And you also need the BA Username & Password to be able to link the accounts. I also think there may have been 2FA via a text message.

Sounds like somebody has got into the OPs account.
I recall a massive BA data breach around 2018/19, I wonder if it’s something relating to that? The thing is there is no 2FA for routine logging on to BA, maybe there should be!?
Mater likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
I recall a massive BA data breach around 2018/19, I wonder if it’s something relating to that? The thing is there is no 2FA for routine logging on to BA, maybe there should be!?
But you’ve changed your password since then, right?
Old Sep 13, 2023, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dougzz
But you’ve changed your password since then, right?
Absolutely yes, more than once if I recall correctly.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 2:39 pm

I've had similar earlier this year.
in April I got an email from BA saying avios had been used to redeem for 6 adults, gocity passes in Dubai.

It was a long (11 week) process with BA and took chasing over and over to get resolved. Appalling treatment of customers due to their own IT failings.
jonr405 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mater
I've had similar earlier this year.
in April I got an email from BA saying avios had been used to redeem for 6 adults, gocity passes in Dubai.

It was a long (11 week) process with BA and took chasing over and over to get resolved. Appalling treatment of customers due to their own IT failings.
Thanks for that, seems I’m not alone. What I can’t understand is how they are allowing such linking of accounts yet, in the absence of any 2FA, I received nothing relating to anyone trying to do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.