Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios fraudulently debited from my BAEC account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios fraudulently debited from my BAEC account

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2023, 2:17 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
I had to set up and use 2FA to transfer Avios between BA and Nectar accounts, SMS code to link accounts, email code to transfer. So I'm surprised it's not similarly enforced to transfer to other airlines.
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonAussie
I had to set up and use 2FA to transfer Avios between BA and Nectar accounts, SMS code to link accounts, email code to transfer. So I'm surprised it's not similarly enforced to transfer to other airlines.
Me too. I’ve never linked my BAEC to another account but whoever did this to me did not trigger any 2FA as I didn’t receive any text or email. I got the impression from the agent I spoke to that this is commonplace, as soon as he saw that it was a Qatar transfer.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
These type of events go away if BA simply implemented multi-factor authentication for transactions (maybe even account login?).
Old Sep 15, 2023, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Pretty sure there is 2FA / Biometrics to log into the Combine my Avios website. So maybe they have access to more than just your BAEC, or have changed enough of your details to theirs.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Pleased to report that my BAEC account has been unlocked and the fraudulently removed Avios have been reinstated. I was asked to send a recent utility bill to get my account unlocked. I hope their investigation led them to the perpetrator who moved my Avios to a Qatar account!

“Thank you for getting back in touch with us.I confirm I have now safely received the proofs requested and I have therefore now unlocked your British Airways Executive Club account and you are now able to use it as normal. I have also re-instated the the 135000 Avios misappropriated back to your account which you will be able to see when you next log into the account.

I would like to thank you for your patience during this investigation and hope that you can now continue to enjoy the many great benefits of your Executive Club membership.

If you would like to contact me again about this case please click on this link”
Old Oct 2, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Exactly the same thing happened to me a couple of months back. All resolved in the end after proving identity just as you did Jim. The interesting thing was their trick of signing me up to a 100+ website mailing lists then right in the middle of that doing the transfer in the hope I would not spot the transfer email. Spotted the spam and then noticed the email so got at it quickly.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Had similar. A bunch of Avios used for a hotel booking in China. Account was locked for audit for a week or so then unlocked with the Avios reinstated.

Quite common unfortunately.
SxMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.